3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Financing Your Next Bow, Perspective and Strategy  (Read 612 times)

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
Financing Your Next Bow, Perspective and Strategy
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
In these hard times it gets a bit hard to justify the outlay of a huge chunk of cash for the luxury of a new custom bow.  However, I ain't gonna let no stinkin' recession keep me from supporting an independent bowyer!  Here's my strategy, every time I fill up my pickup with gas I pretend that gas prices are what they were not so long ago at $ 4.00 a gallon.  I split the difference between what I actually paid and what I would have done if gas were at $ 4.00 and put the chunk into savings.

so today I put 16 gallons in my tank at 1.77/gallon for a total of $ 28.32.  If gas were at $ 4.00 (which brothers and sisters it will surely go eventually) that same 16 gallons would have cost me $ 64.00 (ugh   :thumbsup:    After a short while I should have enough to either invest in real estate derivatives or buy a modest custom bow.

It keeps me used to those awful prices, encourages me not to be a gas guzzler and will eventually help keep a bowyer in business in these hard times.  Obviously, it's not a feasible strategy for everyone... but hey I'm going to give it a try.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Financing Your Next Bow, Perspective and Strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I woulda thought you'd wanna fill up as much as possible!!!

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
If you smoke. Buy one less pack a day or two and keep the savings. That's how I'm going to start my fund and quit smoking at the same time. I spend $300 a MONTH on c-grits.    :(
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
thats it fido, i quit chewing 3 weeks ago so i can get a new  custom in a year.  with the cheap stuff i bought one can a day would be near 1,500 dollars in a year, heck i can buy two bows, you guys that use a can of cope a day thats three a year, kinda stagering, thats the first time i actualy added it up,

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
i should see if ron can get a 60 inch super shrew ready in about a year.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
I have an envelope of cash stashed in my library (in a very specific and secret book).  When I visit the ATM I get an extra 20 or 40 out.  When I am loafing around the house (and my wife is not around) I stash a little in my Bow Fund envelope.  Over several months it really adds up.  

She is fully aware of my stash.  It's called my "fun money" for fishing and hunting and custom bows every now and then.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
For some reason when the new $5 bills came out early last year (the one's with the big purple 5) I thought they were cool.  So I stuck one in my wallet (usually only receipts in there since I almost always us my ATM) and a couple of days later I got another.  Well about a week later I go a third and decided that I should put them somewhere to keep.  I only took the fresh pristine bills to do this…about 15 bills into it I though what an idiot I should be doing it with the new $10 dollar bills (tan looking ones)…it would add up quicker.  Well I got a new ten that week and I put it a couple pages down from the fives.  

I put the latest $10 in the book last night ($240) and I have 22 $5’s so it has added up nicely over the last year.  I have $350 saved and it didn’t hurt to do it.  

For the record my wife is aware I have money stashed but doesn’t have any idea where to look…keep your hiding spot messy, they’re less likely to look if it is!  :readit:  

Only down side is I like them so much I don’t want to spend them!  "[dntthnk]"  

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
Good on ya, Fido and JR! Good luck to you both!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
thp,i think your idea is great, even though im not in a position to put it into practice.ive been outa work since oct. 2008.im not a supporter of the corperate machine.ive always been a beleiver in small business, where craftsmanship and pride still thrive,not highest  profit margin for medeocrityis priority. if more people thought this way where would our country be today
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
When I want a new bow, I sell one or two and get the one I have my eye on.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Josh, that's an awesome method of saving cash.  These custom bows look so incredibly expensive.  However, tweaking our habits a little bit can net a large return with enough time.  cool stuff.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Don`t worry you will be paying $4 for gas again
Bull

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
Tim if it helps you meet your goal sooner you can fill up for me too  :goldtooth:

Offline wscruggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I almost always pay with my debt card any where I go so what I do is add $5 to the transaction when I balance my check book and then I make a little note to the side like a plus 5 or something so I can keep track of how much I have saved.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Todd, I'll get right on that as long as you drive a Geo Metro!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Divorced my second deadbeat wife...even paying alimoney I have money to play with, bought 3 bows,some new wool and about 14 dozen shafts. After a year and a half I'll finance a trip to africa on what I'll no longer have to pay the ex.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
I have an idea.  How about making due with your last "had to have" bow and save the money all together.  That way, during the next economic downturn, you won't have to worry about making ends meet.

Lenny

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
I'm in the process of selling off some of my collection of bamboo fly rods that I never fish.Just keeping the one's I use and really like.The funds from the sales should at least cover a bow,but no idea what I want now since I just received my new Schafer Silvertip Longbow back around Christmas.Unfortunately it'll probably end up going to bills that I kinda got alittle behind on after supporting my brother in law who's been laid off and out of work for close to 8 months.He hasn't even looked for a job,so has been cut off from any further help from myself.............I ain't made of money.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I've went to the oldies and can usually by a very nice bow for less than $200.00.  Anyway, this recession isn't over, I hope your jobs stay safe for you.

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
what i usually do is get a crazy look in my eye after seeing or shooting some ohmygoshihavetohaveit bow, scrap up a down payment of some kind and spend the next couple of months working overtime to pay for it, anyway i should get to bed, got to get up early for work tomorrow, aprils coming up fast.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©