3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you hunt with a back quiver on?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you hunt with a back quiver on?
« on: March 08, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
The reason I ask is because ive never used one id like to get one but im worried itel make noise with arrows inside if I have to move to make a shot. How many of you leave it on while on stand or on the ground?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you hunt with a back quiver on?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
There is thread right now where very skilled quiver makers are showing their work.  And if you see their quivers....WOW!
I would PM some of those folks and ask them what makes for a good huntiing back quiver.
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I think if you are moving thru the woods fast enough to rattle the arrows then you are moving too fast.  Got to move slow and not sound like a human walking thru the woods.  If you listen to the sound of most any animal walking thru the woods there is no rythm to their steps unlike a man.  You will make a little noise stalking the woods so try to go very slow and do much more looking than stepping.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
All the time. No arrow rattle either due to the fact my quiver is 8oz leather that collapses on my back. I use a fanny pack in conjunction with the backquiver.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline mrkbsm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
I use a slightly modified leather back quiver that gets rid of the rattle - found an old hip/belt quiver at a garage sale for a few bucks, took the snap-in rail (or whatever you call it) and unscrewed it from the hip quiver (held on by 3 small screws).  I punched a few small holes in the leather of the back quiver and screwed the rail onto the top inside of the back quiver.  A cut-up nerf softball in the bottom keeps the BH's from bumping around.  What I ended up with is a back quiver that can still hold a pile of arrows, but when I'm stalking I can just fill the rail and snap single arrows out as I need them.  If anyone's curious, PM me for pics.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Using the lighter weight leather for the quiver will allow it to bend to the contour of your back, as was said above. This will keep the arrows in place and is the solution that most folks use to solve the sound problem. It also keeps them from falling out when you bend over.   :knothead:  

You can also put some fur along the top to help hold them in place and stop them from rattling against each other.  Something soft in the bottom will help the broadheads from knocking against each other as well.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
This is the quiver im looking in to what do you guys think?

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=14&s=14&p=116&i=6590
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
I have been looking at one of those quivers, too. I would love to hear what others say about it.........TTT

Jeff

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
I use a cat quiver, arrows don't rattle, wears on my back, easy to get arrows out. When I'm sitting in a ground blind, I take it off so I can get to the rest of my gear easily.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
I like bowquivers for most hunting but backquivers are fun to use, too.  Fur along the opening makes a nice-looking quiver...I like rabbit fur because it looks good and is lightweight, available, supple...and cheap.  I agree with earlier comments that softer leather that conforms a bit to your back is the best for a hunting backquiver.  If you attach the fur only at the top near the opening so that it can hang down the outside for 6" or so you can tuck the hanging portion loosely into the opening around the shafts (fur in) to reduce noise/shaft movement when hunting.  When ready to draw an arrow for a shot simply give a little tug on the fur to lift it out enough for the arrow to clear.  When not hunting flip the fur back to hanging on the outside again.  

Easy, quiet, and if you move slowly there is little movement involved.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
I was looking at coyote pelts and can you actully make a quiver out of them or do you just line a regular quiver with them? I was told the Indians used coyote skin quivers could someone point me in the direction of these or how to make them?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
That basket style quiver would be kind of noisy I would think. It will definitely NOT bend across your back to hold the arrows in place like was discussed above.

I made this kit from 3Rivers in an afternoon. It will give you an idea of how they are put together and also what to look for in a back quiver. It will bend across your back for you.   Field Back Quiver Kit  

This is another kit, but it is larger than the one I made.   Expedition Style Back Quiver Kit
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
I'm a fan of a good leather back quiver and yes you can hunt with them.. Indians did it for years. Looked at the one you refered to and feel if your worried about noise this would be the last type you would consider, also think about the broadheads making contact with the sides of the one your considering???
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
I've hunted with Hill Style quivers for years with good results. Several of you have stated you use soft supple light weight leather for your quivers. I have one major problem with that type of quiver. You are placing razor sharp broadheads in a quiver and straping it to your back, Ouch!!
What if you fall backwards, yea I know some of you will say What if!! I hunt alone most of the time, a broadhead in your back, would be very difficult to treat your self. Just my thoughts.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Bob...Dave Creger soft quivers are the best I've used the past 5 yrs. Since '77 I used a Schulz backquiver but in cold weather the latigo leather got too hard and noisy.

I switched over to Creger quivers, sold many here in my shop and no one ever complained. The broadheads NEVER FALL OUT because the quiver collapses on my back. The broadheads never rattle and for broadheads to puncture through if I fell....it would have to be one helluva tumble off a Mtn ledge! Even then I doubt they would penetrate through.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Here's my Creger Backquiver....

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Nice quiver Joe really like the leather at the top
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Joe:
If your broadheads are really sharp, they will punch through that like a hot knife in butter. There appears to be no reinforcement in the bottom or up the sides. Too each his own.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
For hunting, I like a Side Stalker quiver adjusted and worn near vertical like a back quiver.  About the only drawback is the fletch cover hanging on brush from time to time.  Doesn't carry as many arrows as a back quiver but it carries more than enough for any day hunt.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »
My hunter quiver from Mikes archery leather IMO is a great hunting back quiver. Mine now wears the scars from last season and the JLMBH. It is quiet holds plenty of arrows i wear it when walking or stalking i have never had an arrow fall out even in the thickest stuff a man can go through. When I'm in my tree stand i just hang it up by the strap i cant say enough about it i love it. It was with me when i took every game animal in my first trad season and on every other adventure i was on. My son has one also and he is hardcore when it come to his equipment just ask anyone.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©