3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you hunt with a back quiver on?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you hunt with a back quiver on?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
have a look on show us your quivers. i make the odd  roo quiver now and then i like the lakota style the best as it is real quiet and it dont get hung up in bush you can also grab the arrows to stop them moving. but they dont move anyway. have a look at that and i think you will like the style and they are fun to make.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Stick with woood arrows. Go to hidehandler.com Steven Catts makes some of the finest you can buy. He also has other styles that may interst you.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I prefer to make my quivers of about 6 oz. leather, which is a compromise in softness and thickness.  However, to supple up the leather, you must work it around in your hands,  rolling and unrolling the leather, while using some type of leather oil.  You can have quite heavy leather be soft enough to fit you your back this way.  I also always put a double thickness leather bottom, about 1/4" thick,  with carpeting to make it quiet.  

I don't like a quiver that's so soft that it collapses when I bump the bottom up to reach an arrow.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
I use a backquiver some for squirell hunting or for stumping.It is about the least practical for me if broadheads are involved however.Most of my other hunting only involves carrying 2 to 5 arrows so there are more practical solutions for doing that. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
2-Blade, just do what many of us old times do, been hunting with backquivers for 40 yrs. Stuff about 3-4 balls of grass in your quiver after you put the arrows in, The reason I say 3-4, is you'll pull one out with your first arrow(if a broadhead). Make it as quite as you want. And YES, it will work with a basket quiver.
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by wolfman jeff:
have a look on show us your quivers. i make the odd  roo quiver now and then i like the lakota style the best as it is real quiet and it dont get hung up in bush you can also grab the arrows to stop them moving. but they dont move anyway. have a look at that and i think you will like the style and they are fun to make.   :thumbsup:      :campfire:  
Jeff's 'roo quivers are pretty darn cool!!!
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
I always use a Hill style back quiver -- actually, for over 30 years.  I like to carry a quantity of arrows with different heads along with several flu flu's.  I alternate between 4 American Leather (Schulz) quivers.  Tox
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Mark Trego

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Some put grass seed in the quiver to quiet broadheads.
" It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
I've always hunted with a back quiver. I wrap a piece of suede lace around my arrows to cut down on any rattling. But never been a problem.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©