3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 8 strand TS-Plus string just blew up!!!!!  (Read 1367 times)

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 8 strand TS-Plus string just blew up!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Had the same thing happen last week while shooting my shrew, except it broke on the lower side just as I released the string. Got a pretty good mark on my face from the string, and the nock on the string dinged the glass on my bow. No idea what type string it was,
it came with the bow when I bought it used.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I have never heard of a D-97 string breaking.  All of the problemed strings seem to be Brownell materail.   I hope I don't have any customers with problems.  JD

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Glad to hear that you and your daughter came out of the experience unscathed, at least physically.  The problem with the small strings is if the bundles aren't under equal tension when made, one bundle, i.e., half the string, does all the work.  Thus, you may have been shooting a 4-strand string in effect.  It's very hard to get tension equal when laying in a string.  That's why I opt for 12 or 14 strand strings. Little less performance, but higher margin of safety.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
I like a 12 strand D97 with .024 Halo,strong enough for upto a 100# bow.I shoot 12 strands on my bows from 50# to 83#.It may be alittle overkill for the lighter bows but it gives me the same nock fit for all my bows.

Offline Hoghead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Sorry Jim,

So caught up in your string hazard that I never offered, Glad that your Daughter + You are OK!.
I thought maybe you were experimenting without the loop's being padded and or the nock fell off right at release?.
Orion I believe that you have solved the problem.

All Good,
Don;
If Your Heart Is Free, The Ground You Stand On Is Liberated.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Glad no one was hurt but I've never heard of anyone or any bow being hurt by a string failure. At full draw is the lowest tension a string has in the entire shot sequence. I'm sure a little Tide will take care of the skivies!   :)  

With others comments it sure sounds like a material problem. That's why I pointed out over and over in the skinny string thread that the only material I had experience with was DF-97 and experiment at your own risk! We CAN NOT trust what the manufactures tell us on the strength of this stuff.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Yep it seems to be if you go below 10 or 12 strands with the Brownell products (Xcel in my case) they won't hold.  I haven't heard of any failures with the D97 either, but I have seen 6 strand 450+ strings blow.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
I thought I would try out a skinny string and just made a 10-strand TS+ with extreme padding, but I am only shooting 45lbs.  Hopefully that is safe for my weight.  My bow has never been this quiet, I would hate to go back to 14 strands.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »
Any material can break if you push it past it's limits. Too much pushin goin on these days. I've been using TS1 plus since it came out. Tried the skinnies and went back to 15 strands and stayin put. Like JD said earlier...if it aint broke dont fix it.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
Love the D-97 that Chad makes me. 14 strands.

Glad all is ok JD.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Skinny's for babes not bow strings. Glad your ok, it's a big price to pay for few FPS.
hunt it

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
J.D., I've had that happen. Scary moment to say the least. Did it break where you had the string silencers tied in?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
I think "OL" is correct in saying not to trust manufacturing claims, bought some new latest and greatest fishing rods made out of arimid fiber, super light and great, after I broke 3 or 4 of these rods on hooksets, I called the company to tell them they had a problem with this material, I was told I had a attitude problem, Hmmmm.

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
The string didn't break near the silencers at all.  It was about halfway between the bowhush and the hushpuppies.  If strings are breaking and we cant trust manufacturers claims, them why are we all risking it?  I'm just glad that the string broke on me and not one of my customers.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
wow!!! man you was luckey bugger that.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Yep Dan, "arimid fiber" isn't a good material for anything other then body armor!

Got to be a line somewhere at both ends of the spectrum. It's like having a cliff near where you hunt. If you are afraid of falling over and stay 2 miles away, you're robbing yourself of a whole lot of real estate!  :)  1/4" poly rope would be plenty safe. Personally I'd blame the material and use something else.

Hunt It, I'm doing it for quiet and shooting qualities, not FPS....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
I have to agree that the material may be the problem.  I had 2 new TS+, 14 strand strings about a year ago for one of my bows.  They both broke after less than a months shooting with a 55 lb bow.  I returned to the materials I have not had problems with.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
I used to shoot an Oneida Eagle Bow, its the compound with the recurve outer limbs. I lost count of how many strings I blew up on that bow...its something that you never get used to and it will scare the crap out of you!!! Some of the strings failed in the loop and some were at the nockset. These were 12 to 14 strand Fast Flight. String failures never worried me as much as having a limb or riser fail...that can get nasty in a hurry. I don't think alot of people think about how much stored energy they are holding in their hands when they shoot a bow. That's probably a good thing.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
I have a bud whose D97 string bew up on his Widow. The string came from BW. That broke his riser nearly in 2. I have made several of the skinny strings out of TS1 plus and shot them with no problem. In fact I have used B-50 skinny's with no problem but...I personally do not trust them because it is pushing the limits on any material. IMO the skinny strings are not worth the risk no matter what material is used and JD can testify to it. I would agree it was the material but I would disagree with OL about blaming the material. TS1 plus is an excellent material but the skinny strings are asking a bit too much out of it as with any material.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
My string fingers don't like skinny strings.  Even with the 46-48# bows I shoot it causes too much stress on my fingers.  I use nothing but the various versions of TS-1+ and TS+ on my bows, all of the 75+ I've owned and sold or traded since I found out about TS-1.  I've never had a problem with them.  But as noted above I don't shoot skinny strings.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©