3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 8 strand TS-Plus string just blew up!!!!!  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 8 strand TS-Plus string just blew up!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I've been making and shooting TS-1 for a few years now. Most recently been trying out an 8 strander for about 3 months now.

Hunted here late season took a doe, went to TX and killed a buck,doe, and hog, and have dragged it through serious briars with Shawn and the gang on several rabbit hunts and killed a bunny too.

But I've been seriously thinking about going back to my 12 strand string on this bow the last couple weeks. This might be the clincher...

I'm not giving up on TS-1 at all, I love it. But just feel like for hunting purposes it's time to stay on the safer side......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
I'll second what Danny said. I won't use one below 12 strands after having a skinny one break on me.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I also like the D97 strings that Chad makes. i can live without the benifits that skinny strings have. No disrespect to those who use them.
Glad you all are ok JD
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Years ago i had one fail on release shooting at a hog the arrow went about 10 feet and landed on the ground. I looked at the arrow and didnt even know what happened. the hog was still there so i grabbed another arrow and tried to nock it, then i knew what happened. the string gave way right at the nock point.

I dont remember what material it was and i think it was just past due for a string change and not a material problem.

I use D97 and have never had a problem with it, except for the broadhead issue i had last week while hunting, made for a long walk back to the truck
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Do you need to pad loops for 12 strand?
Semper Fi

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I know there is a lot of chatter about the low strand string goin on lately.  Sorry,  all my bows go out with a 16 strand FF or Dyneema string.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
My new Cari-Bow Taiga came with a skinny string,shot it a couple of times did not like the feel, plus they just scare me so changed it to a 14 strand 450+, bow is quieter and just as quick. Quietest recurve I own, did not even have to put bow hush on it. Like I said in my earlier post, just do not like them.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
I've been thinking of a 10 strand 8125 String on my 46lb recurve, am I "safe"...

Any input from you guys would be appreciated..

Thank you,

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
I'll stick with my stock Horne's 14 strand 450+ ... They work just fine, No sense pushing the envelope ... Just not worth it to me ...

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
I've made my own strings since 1955 or so....always used 12 strnad b-50 for bows up to 70# (ony had one stirng bread beccaurse I installed a nok set too tight) until I got my DAS bows and tried the 8125 and TS-1. I like the TS-1 better but still made a 12 strand string. However, nock fit is an issue so I made some 14 strand endless strings this winter and have noticed no change in performance. In addition, since making my own strings is fairly inexpensive my bow gets a new one each Spring and again in the Fall....actually I make a new one just prior to the Muzzy and that is the string that I use for the hunting season. The Spring string becomes the  backup in my quiver. Like someone mentioned above, using those skinny stings is like walking on thin ice and my bows are too expensive (most are actually irrepalceable, now) so I decided not to take the chance with the skinny string thread. I think it is asking for trouble. in the long run.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Never seen a broke string hurt anybody, never seen one hurt a bow...Sounds like some good documented cases of some very large strings breaking, what caused them? Personally I'm not going to put a governor on my Jeep because someone else crashed one.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
What I get out of this isn't not to use smaller strings, but not to use TS1 for smaller strings.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Jeff,

No material was designed for the skinny string. Both of the major material makers have recommendations for their material and none of them are for making strings that small. Personally I would not make one out of any material. Having said that I am convinced the modern materials can handle skinnier strings than recommended but 6-8 strands is pushing it and IMO you are asking for trouble.

Also, no disrespect intended to anyone who advocates or makes skinny strings.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
heydeerman, Just some info, there are a lot of bowmakers out there that use "skinny strings". Ron La Clair has been putting 6 strand 450+ strings on his Shrews for years among others.

Its not a new trend.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
It's all relative, 6-df-97 on a 50# is not skinny but on a 60+ it would be. I just find it interesting that modern strings get blamed for anything that goes wrong when it's really our understanding or should I say misunderstanding is the real problem.

WT, "Its not a new trend." Nope goes back decades if not centuries...5:1...250# string for a 50# bow. If we don't know what strength our materials are, that's a problem. Folks feel "lack of stretch" is the reason modern strings perform better and the reason they are harder on bows...Both myths...Think about it..If you take any material and double it...What are you doing to the "stretch" property? Cutting it in half at least..So a 12 string string on your 50# bow compared to a 6 will be twice as hard on the bow, not easier as some suggest..And the fatter string should perform better....If "stretch" is the problem/reason...Obviosuly it's not.

Jeff, "What I get out of this isn't not to use smaller strings, but not to use TS1 for smaller strings."

Exactly!  :) ...O.L.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
wtpops,

I am aware of that. Ron LeClair also uses 450+, the strongest material available, as you note. I owned a Samarai for a while and replaced the stock string with a 15 strand TS1Plus. It was noticably quieter.

There are some that use them and like them. That's why I wanted to clarify no disrespect intended in my last post. Most know more than me and I readily admit that.  :knothead:

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Heydeer, Oh it's not a smartness thing, just experiences.."I owned a Samarai for a while and replaced the stock string with a 15 strand TS1Plus. It was noticably quieter."

For example, that is directly opposite what others are seeing, smaller is quieter..So how could both be accurate?...Beats me?...Going from real skinny to real heavy is the same thing as going from 10gpp to 11 or 12...Sure it's quieter but for the wrong reasons...O.L.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I have never read any manufacturer's recommendation based on breaking strength of strands. ONLY for nock fitment.
They say X amount of strands to ensure proper nock fit, not to prevent breakage.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
From the BCY website.Make from it what you will. :)

Question: If I reduce the number of strands to improve arrow speed, should I be concerned that the strength of the bow string is reduced and therefore dangerous?

Answer: With almost all modern materials used in the manufacture of bowstrings, the strength is well in excess of the maximum tension applied to the string. Consider this – A popular number of strands for Formula 8125 material is 18. The breaking strength of a single strand of Formula 8125 exceeds 100 lbs. Using 100 lbs as the criteria, the total strength of 18 strands is 1800 lbs. Of course when set up on a bow, the strands are split at the loops and a static load test shows that approximately 40% of the strength is lost at this point. This still leaves a breaking strength of over 1000 lbs.

It has been calculated that on a high poundage bow, say 75 – 80 lbs, it is possible to generate approximately 200 lbs total tension while drawing. Compare this to the breaking strength over 1000 lbs mentioned above and there is at least a 5 – 1 safety factor.

Reducing the number of strands is normally ratioed to the draw weight of the bow, therefore on lower poundage bows, the 5 – 1 safety factor will remain or perhaps increase.

With the newer, smaller diameter materials like 452, the single strand breaking strength is under 100 lbs but many more strands are used so at least a 5 – 1 safety factor is maintained.

Basically, using the manufacturers recommended number of strands x the breaking strength of the string, will assure you have a string with much more than adequate strength and if you decide to drop a couple of strands to increase speed, the strength of the finished string will still way exceed the maximum poundage generated by the bow.

Breaking strengths is rarely, if ever, the cause of a string failure. More likely causes are –
· condition of cam wheels (burrs)
· over twisting
· extremely tight serving/compressive failure
· type of release
· lack of string care and maintenance (lubrication)
· abrasion
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
I've not followed all this "skinny string" stuff...I've seen the threads and taken a peek or two, but reading James' response there with the manufacturers info got me thinking.

They show a static load rating...shooting an arrow is a very dynamic event.  Obviously the static and dynamics loads are different.  Kind of like static and dynamic spine.  Maybe something to think about.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©