3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many hunt only ONE core area?  (Read 679 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
how many hunt only ONE core area?
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
i hunt pretty much one core area and have so for the last 15 years. it is a mountain that offers plenty of game but very unforgiving to the weak. it is a very special place to me. i love to read about evreyones awesome hunts on here and there are many places i dream of however i just can't seem to bring myself to leave the mountain!!! i do plan plan to scout out a few different areas this year and everyone has got me to thinking about a canoe trip but i'm sure when the time drwas near the mountain will win again as my spirit soars with the wind and the mountain is its home!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: how many hunt only ONE core area?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Ken, I pretty much just hunt the Santiam unit here in Oregon. It encompasses part of the Western side of the Cascades and has elk and black tail deer. Really haven't wanted to go anywhere else.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Uh...does Wyoming count.   :goldtooth:   I don't think you could hunt one "area" here.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
i hear ya, i have never had the urge to hunt anywhere else, hell i never never drove farther then 20 miles to hunt in my life except for Shawns bunny hunt!!! i turn 40 next year, for that i really want to go on a special hunt and i'm planning to go with a few friends to Colorado. there is pretty much every thing a mountain man dreams of right out my back door!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
a pic from my little piece of heaven.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
I am also tied to one area.  We have the Necedah Wildlife Refuge immediatly northeast, state lands adjoining north and county lands south with our lands in the middle.  My grandparents started a creamery here after settling from Norway so our family roots are very deep for this sand country. We have a good cabin and a good hunting family so it is very difficult to find places that are any better.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I do also I have hunted the same two areas for 15 to 20 years . The last 7 have been between two creek beds that the deer seem to like . I hunt from an ATV because of an auto accident so I take alot of rides to my homemade blind so as the deer get used to the sound of me coming and going . This has worked very well I see deer most days not always in range but they are there . I even managed to get my first traditional kill this year . Just righting this has me shaking like the day it happend !!
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
I admire your ability to be content with what is at hand.  I have places that I go back to time and time again, but then the call to wander strikes me and I must heed the impulse as much as my wallet will allow.  Right now I am thinking hard again about Canada and bears.  Must be the Ian Tyson CD I was listening to on the way home. "North of the border, I see a quarter moon chasing my pony down the trail. Night sky is falling, Alberta's calling, chasing the moon by the tail..."  And then sometimes I hear John Denver singing about seeing it rain fire in the sky and I am ready to pack my bags for Colorado.  If I hear the Nitty Gritty Dirt band singing, "Let's talk dirty in hawaiin..." the next thing I know I am dreaming about scrambling over lava covered mountains trying to shoot a feral goat.  Gotta dig out that old Men at Work Cd so I can fantasize about a water buffalo adventure...
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Ken, one day when we get the urge to try a different flavor, I'll have to come there and hunt with you, then you come and hunt the Cascades with me. Can't guarantee you'll take home game but, will guarantee you'll take home scenery too remember, unspoken words around a camp fire, friendship for life and an open invitation to return when ever you like. That's a soldiers promise!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Smoke,  I have to talk to you some time about Necedah.  My wife's family lives in Tomah and that is not too far from there.  I am usually up there in the summers, but one of these days I am going to have to make it for bow season.

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
BowMarks,
      good for you man!! congrats ona fine kill and way to stay out in the beauty of it all. i will be the first to say i very much disslike atv's and i'll also be the first to say that your situation is EXACTLY what they SHOULD be used for. i had allways said i would never use one, that was when i was a loud and boastfull man for i know i would be lost without the woods and if an atv was the ONLY way i would definitly use one. for now by Gods grace i am very healthy and love to walk/hike/hunt the mountain. again congrats for being out there and making meat the old way!!!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
i'll hold ya to that promise bro!!!

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Ken,
Nice little piece of heaven. I can just picture some big ole gobblers in that area.     :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
MJB,
    there is a ridge there that the gobblers roost year after year. they allways have from the very first time i hunted there. some times just as its getting light you will hear one lone gobbler let loose. other mornings when you just hope to hear a gobble all hell brakes loose as gobblers sound off up and down the ridge!!! ya just never know!!! i have taken a dozen long beard from the mountain and a couple jakes. if i get one this year i'll make you a wing bone call from him.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Ken,
  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  THANKS !!
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
There is something to be said for being home at the end of the day.
I had to move up here though to satisfy my wandering as I couldn't afford to go out west every year.
I have access to about 600 acres out my  back door. I only own 20 but most of my neighbors let me hunt. I also hunt a 900 acre Ranch/Farm with in a half hours drive from home that has some very good deer on it. It's not in the bowzone and I share that with one other bowhunter who I have yet to see there in five years. I do have to give this place up during November when gun season starts as the owner has some friends that have the run of the place. They don't seem to shoot much. There is always some real good Bucks year after year. I have a few other smaller parcels just for variety but still not too far from home. I'm content with chasing Whitetails at the moment with the opportunity for Moose as well.
The only thing I'd like to get yet before my knees are totally shot is a Bighorn Ram. But like I said, I like my bed.
I may go back to Wisconsin this fall to hunt with my brother for a week. I miss those big Oak trees!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
Sorry I guess that would be two core areas.  "[dntthnk]"
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
We own 20 acres(10 the house is on,and 10 across the dirt road).Then there's the surrounding 40 acres,plus 296 acres(I usually stick to the lower 40 that borders our 10),all within the immediate vicinity of the house.During bow season I'm fortunate to have all that to hunt...usually to myself.So guess I have about a 90 acre core area that I stick to,that I've been hunting since I started hunting at 10.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
another pic of Royal Mountain.

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
All the area's I hunt in VT I have hunted all my life, we have probally 10-12 properties that we have permission to hunt on some exclusive rights, I can not be held to one place, I do not like to pressure the deer I bow hunt they get enough of it without me adding to it, I like to shoot better than average bucks for the area, so we need lots of stand, well 60-70 a year to be exact, I am ready for any weather front, wind change in feed patterns, wich I have documented over the years, and even know how the mast trees hold there crop. This is only in vermont, nevermind thee other states we hunt, I only get 2 tags here and have a 3 week bow season, if I do not fill them here it's usally cause I chose not to shoot a few young legal bucks, but NH, NY and ohio seem to fit thebill for me. But been toying with the idea of Mass. again when we get back from Ohio. So in a long anwser Ken, no one core area for me, I do have favorites though. Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©