3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I now think 40#'s about as good as 50#'s !  (Read 1731 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
I now think 40#'s about as good as 50#'s !
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I have been shooting a borrowed 40# recurve instead of my 50# recurve due to a shoulder problem.   What I have found (after tuning the 40# bow) is that I am getting very comparable penetration in my bag and block targets.  Trajectory is not as looping as I expected it would be, either.   With these observations, I am wondering if I would really lose anything by hunting with the lighter bow in place of the heavier one.   Some might say that the lighter bow wont penetrate a deer shoulder (which we all try to avoid) as well, but, the 50# bow wont penetrate a shoulder bone well either.   Just some random thoughts about my experimenting with a lighter draw weight.   Comments and hunting experiences  welcomed.   Thanks!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I now think 40#'s about as good as 50#'s !
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I shot a 41# recurve this past weekend and was VERY impressed! I too shoot 50# bows and was quite surprised how the recurve sent my exact same arrows I shoot out my 50# bows downrange with authority! I will be keeping an eye on this thread!   :thumbsup:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
It could be the bows also. Once upon a time I was of the belief there wasn't much difference between bows. I had a fellow visit and covered up the numbers on the chrono and had him shoot his bow with his 10 arrows through it...Then I handed him another bow and shoot his same 10 arrows. There was 2fps difference between them and 9 pounds difference on the same scale. So no, dropping draw weight you may not lose as much as folks think, plus you can shoot more and probably become a better shot because of it....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Hmmmm.........

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
we've all heard "sometimes less is more". this might just apply to "SOME" traditional bow set-ups.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
O.L. are you saying its the bows design or the woods used in the bow?? Is a 50# bow a 50# bow, does it matter if its a recurve or a longbow??
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
i think that the construction and your personal comfort level with the way a bow feels matters more than anything.
whatever the poundage, a good shot matters more than poundage or fps.
i shoot several selfbows ranging from 70#-46#. i shoot the same with all, but i feel better with the lighter one's because i dont have to strain as much to shoot it.. the less stress involved, the better the shot in most cases.
~Andrew Wesley

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
BHF, that was a 50# recurve and a 41# longbow. Not so much a testiment of how good the LB was, more how bad the recurve was. No, 50# is not 50#. You see AMO speeds posted occasionally or Blacky's tests in TBM, every 1.5-2fps difference you see between bows, that's 1 pound heavier the poor bow would have to be to make up the difference......O.L.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
You might drop below a certain "legal" threshold... In California you have to have 45# of draw weight minimum. We all know there are several more important factors, but there ya go. Some warden might take exception to your hard-hittin, deer-slayin' 40#er.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
O.L., wouldnt both bows still pull 50#? I know there is a big difference in how they shoot. I have a 51# bow now that needs alot heavier spine than my other 51# bow. This is due to the design, but as far as comfort it feels the same.
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
I went from a 58# High end recurve to a 49# ACS 650gn arrows fly with the same fps outta' both bows.
My bow arm is very happy and accuracy is up.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by O.L. Adcock:
BHF, that was a 50# recurve and a 41# longbow. Not so much a testiment of how good the LB was, more how bad the recurve was. No, 50# is not 50#. You see AMO speeds posted occasionally or Blacky's tests in TBM, every 1.5-2fps difference you see between bows, that's 1 pound heavier the poor bow would have to be to make up the difference......O.L.
OL other way around, that was a 41# Recurve and a 50# Longbow. I get what your saying! I was impressed with the way both bows shot the arrow, just more impressed with the Recurve and it being lower in poundage!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
BHF, "OL other way around, that was a 41# Recurve and a 50# Longbow. I get what your saying! I was impressed with the way both bows shot the arrow, just more impressed with the Recurve and it being lower in poundage!"

Nope, the LB was 9 pounds less....Just because a bow is heavier poundage does not mean it will shoot the same arrow faster.

Another thing in favor of lower poundage, some can increase their draw length an inch or two which really helps....O.L.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »
Guys I am having trouble with a bad shoulder, traded for a couple of lower poundage bows, a warf,pulling#43 and a Quinn Stingray, #40. The stingray, first one I have owned, smokes an arrow and the #43 gives me about the same penetration as my go to bow at #50, flat trajectory. I thought it was just me becaus I  hadnt been shooting as much, got a couple of buddies over, they had the same reaction, couldnt belive the penetration with field points and broadheads.The warf has Hoyt Carbon Sky Jacks on it, and is sweeeet!! I love my Quinss and BW's, but this warf is about the sweetest shooting bow I have, Quinns right behind it. I am looking at more shoulder surgery this month, and will probably be hunting with around #40 this fall, took 3 deeer and a turkey last year with #46 bow, 150 WW heads.
samuel koger

Offline Col

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »
I see no discussion of bow length in the above.  I've heard tell that matters in how the draw feels.  

I can say for certain it matters to me--arm injury, likewise; I get less pain/strain from my 66" #45 than my 58" #35.  Haven't chronied in either instance, but both appear to hit with about the same authority on identical targets (same sound/penetration).

:confused:
Shooting with feeling since 1976 & luvin' every minute of it.

Thanks Dad!

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 06:03:00 AM »
All things being equal your losing ~20% power when you drop from 50# to #40. I think 20% is a big deal.

But as OL explained with any 2 randomly selected bows all things arent equal.

Imagine going from a 50# ACS or Black Swan and switching to a 40 LB Hill style long bow. You would likely be saying - WOW 10# makes a big difference.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
I say consider the long term.  I treat patients with shoulder injuries-- rotator cuff tears, bursitis, etc.  Because I don't want to be one of them, I choose to shoot a lower poundage bow.  To often we get wrapped up in details other than:  Being able to enjoy traditional archery for decades to come.  IMO, don't shoot the heaviest bow you can.  Shoot the heaviest bow you can for a long, long time...
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Well dropping bow weight is no biggie if you have a good bow as far as deer hunting.Even a pretty bad bow is plenty for deer if it is heavy enough to be legal in most states.Many people kill deer with 45-50lb selfbows and it works.A 30lb ACS  or other high performance bow would most likely shoot the same arrows faster than many of the wooden bows.Start with a good bow and pay attention to details like good strings and good tuneing.Choose arrows and broadheads suited best for what game you hunt and what you are shooting and most would be very surprised how little bow weight it really takes.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
My husband and I had a little comp the other night.  We both used the same bow, his longbow.  He pulls 45#@27'.  I was pulling 23".  We got a surprise when we went to pull our arrows.  ALL of mine(my normal arrows) had 1-2" more penetration than his.  His bow is tuned for his arrows.  It shoots mine great as well.  I would steal it from him if it Pulled heavier for me.  I am guessing I was pulling around 30#.  We did not know what to make of it.  I told him his bow just likes me better!
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
i use a #45 at 26" draw and wont shoot any high poundage bows through a sholder problem i have. any way no need to shoot heavy poundage as 45 is plenty here in NZ.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©