3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow weights to achieve EFOC  (Read 272 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow weights to achieve EFOC
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Hi folks,
a little trial and error with trying to achieve EFOC and this is what I learned:

I glued weights inside the nose of my carbon arrows (.22 bullets, brass all-thread, etc.) and so far so good with the half-dozen I glued up except for one. The rear most weight broke free of the glue, rode up the shaft upon firing, and facilitated a crazy flight and the shearing of the arrow in half.    :wavey:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weights to achieve EFOC
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
100gr inserts + them would be the go.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
I put them in the vise and gave them a gentle squeeze to get the teeth marks on the surface for better glue adhesion later - if wanted.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by NorthernCaliforniaHunter:
 The rear most weight broke free of the glue, rode up the shaft upon firing, and facilitated a crazy flight and the shearing of the arrow in half.
Sounds like a .22 rifle shot when they break huh?

Ask me how I know...  :rolleyes:    :scared:    :eek:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Rod Stiffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
When I looked at that picture the first thing I thought they were was mig welding tips. I'm going to have to check the thread diameter on them when I strat back to work in a couple of weeks.

Rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm also going to experiment with making a lead insert. I know the threads won't be as strong as other materials, but it should be rather easy to machine and easy to replace if damaged. It seems the stresses of impact will be absorbed by the arrow shaft and not necessarily affect the threads of the insert. I'll keep y'all posted.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
NoCal -- What weight heads are you shooting? So long as you can buy a heavier head -- and they're now available up to 315 -- there's no need to go to this trouble. Unless like me you like to tinker.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Dave, it's a tinkering thing.
I have 150's and don't want to buy more (times are tight). Did I mention I like to tinker? Good God I have it bad! Besides, melting lead is COOL!   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©