3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Montana elk  (Read 609 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana elk
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Back to your original question.  I found the easiest, comparatively speaking, hunting in the Lost Creek area outside of Niehart.  The feed streams coming into Lost Creek start high and have a bunch of wet areas that the bulls spend a bunch of time in.  The Highwoods mountiains are smaller and have plenty of elk (and company) but they are really steep.  I miss the place but good luck!

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
PV

PM sent

Offline pathdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
In my experience in 410, the elk are relatively close to the river for the most part.  Driving that ridge looking down a mile or so to the river...that country is as rough as anything in Western Montana, except that you get to deal with humping it through sandy soil.  I've taken that walk several times, it is no easier than areas around Bozeman, Missoula, or Helena.  Plus, it seems there is a truck at every turnout and a hunter on every trail...kind of takes away from the experience of bowhunting, I think.  Don't overlook Western Montana in September.
"Head down.  Swing easy.  Follow through."  - good golf and life advice from Dad

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Ok, I guess I might need a back up plan. I just called out to Montana FWP and apparantly we can't apply as a group for the breaks area. This does not make any sense but we (4 of us) will have to all put in individually and hope we all get drawn and if one of us does not we will need to find a general area to hunt! We can all apply for the general deer/elk tags but can't as special permit area. What is going on over there.
   Thanks again guys!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©