3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When to start a youngster?  (Read 466 times)

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
When to start a youngster?
« on: March 05, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
My son is 2 1/2, and I'm wondering if he is ready to start shooting a bow. Those of you who have introduced a youngster to the sport, when did they start and how did they do at that age?

I see that 3Rivers sells a youth bow (Pilgim Squirt Longbow) that pulls 10-12# @ 16"; I'm thinking that this would be about right for a 3-5 year-old boy - what do you think?

Thanks!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When to start a youngster?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
That was the age I started my grandson. Most everywhere you can buy either a youth recurve or compounds pulling about that 12lbs. I thought when he is about 5 I will get him one of those $100 wood bows a lot of the bowyers offer.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
My boy started real young but its been a sow process. he is three now and we went for our first stumpin walk today and we had a great time,,seen some deer and followed turkey tracks and found a bunch of deer poo. We shot our bows alot too. I guess i started to just help him shoot and when he turned two1/2 he could hold the string back and shoot some arrows and now he is starting to figure out how to put the arrow on the string and shoot. I've always wanted to just make it fun and neet to see the arrow fly and strike its mark,,JB
TGMM

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
I started my son at age 6. It has been off and on for a couple of years and now at age 9 he is really developing to be a pretty good shot.. My daughter now age 10 really has a nack for it, but I have to drag her kicking and screaming away from the horse to go shoot.---someday I will have to do a horse pack trip/hunt with her.
Just introduce them to it and have fun thats what counts.
Ben

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I started both my son and daughter at 3 yrs. old...he's 8 now and loves to shoot, my daughter is 4 and she is an absolute nut about shooting....she's asks everyday, most of the time more than once!

I ask if they want to shoot,if they're not already asking me. But I never, ever force either of them to shoot with me.

Keep it fun...they like to see results, not just arrows stuck in a target...targets they can knock over, make noise, or break, like balloons, are some of their favorites....

Both of mine started out with a Black Rhino M-35
 9#@ 18".....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Great advice Guys! Keep it fun so they want to do it again! I started my son with a fiberglass longbow when he was 3.5, then bought him a compound shortly after. He wanted a recurve as of late, I bought him 2 since the last  June! Hasn't even looked at his compound since, just like his dad!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
I asked this same question a few weeks back because my son is just turned 2.

Here is the link to my results, there is some great advise in there.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=070649;p=1
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
First yhing is to keep it fun.If you put him out there in front of a target.It will take about 3 arrows an he''ll be looking to do something else.
   Take them out to a field some where.Kids love to watch their arrows fly.They don't have to hit anything.Not your arrows where they only see them leave the bow.My boys loved this but quicky lost interest it you put them in front of a target0..
   Thats another thing when go out to the field to shoot.Just let them do just that.SHOOT Don't try to show them HOOOW. Don't no stance,no forum,no nothing.Starting out just let them shoot.Later they want to start hit there targets.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
My son is 3 and my daughter is 2 and they both began to shoot a few arrows here and there before their 2nd birthday. I keep it to a few rounds and also believe in making it fun. I use an empty cardboard box as a target so they can see their arrows "stick" in just like Daddy's do. Balloons are great and so are pictures out of magazines that they can pick to shoot at.

My son asked me if he could have "Lightning McQueen" arrows so I fletched up a few in the right colors and put stickers on them with his favorite characters from the Cars movie. He loves shooting them!

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
I started my daughter at 3 with the bear brave recurve since it was cheap and would take alot of torture.  I usually pulled her in her wagon at 3-d tournaments and kept a cooler full of drinks, fruit snacks and such in the cooler for her.   She usually wants to go most shoots and some how I have kept her shooting ever since.  The 3d tournaments, assuming the weather and company is right, are great for kids because they get to see other kids shooting and my daughter loves the trophies and piggy back rides on the 3d targets. Good luck.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
I had a bow in my daughters hand at or before she was 2 years old. Make sure they have fun and keep the high fives and compliments flowing. As said before never pressure them in both the shooting aspect and the getting more accurate aspect, keep it entertaining. Big targets+ big noises= smiling faces. remember every child takes to it differently so be ready to use your patience. Hope this helps, Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
gettem a   bow hes ready  :thumbsup:
Bull

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Thanks all!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Check out Maddog Archery. Mike can make one to fit your boy and for less than a Pilgrim costs.

My son started just before he turned three.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
I started my kids when they expressed an interest.  For each of them that was about age 4.
Otto

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
If he shows an interest let him give it a try. My son was 3 when he first started. He is 20 now and even went over to the dark side for a while with a wheel bow, but he came back. Now the Darton just gathers dust.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I got 2 in the hopper 10-6 I gotta keep my eye    on the 10yr old he is gettin good sometimes too good . It aint good when the teacher gets beat! they both started at about 3yr old .they learn quick

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Jeff,
I started my granddaughter around 5.  I agree with the 'keep it fun' approach.  The less pressure, the better.  

I may have just what you need Jeff.  Check your PMs.

Howard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©