3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weekend Adventure with the Boys  (Read 562 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Weekend Adventure with the Boys
« on: March 05, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
Finally- some weather that isnt blsitering cold. I've had a bad case of cabin fever goin, and being that we are getting a bit of a warm up, I'm takin the kids out for a outdoor adventure/skills development campout.

THey have no school Friday, so in the morning we head out to the 80 acre piece of ground we hunt on. I've been a bit too lazy the past few years, our camping has consisted of using our travel trailer. Havent roughed it in way too long, and realized the kids never really have.

So, in order to get them up to speed, and learn some outdoors skills, we're doing just that. Learning how to improvise shelter, start fires with means other than matches or a road flare, getting water and making it safe to drink, and preparing backcountry meals is something I havent spent enough time on with them.

We're supposed to get rain, so attention to detail wil be important. My plan is to spend the day stump shooting and shed hunting. Then about mid afternoon they will find they are "lost" and need to prepare some shelter and get firewood gathered to spend the night in the bush.

If all goes well we might even have a rabbit or two to cook on the fire. This trip we will sleep in our sleeping bags, Alex in my Hennesy Hammock, Austin and I in my military bivy sack. Of course if they do a good job on shelter, they can sleep in that.

We will spend time building a lean-to shelter and maybe a debris hut. I told them the scenario will be we got lost on a backcountry hunt, and since we have our gear on our backs, it shouldnt be too tough. They can learn how to use the items in their survival kits, work on firecraft, and see how they  do.

Then the next time we go, we'll work on more advanced stuff. And work on figuring out a few new hunting spots for fall.

I'll post some pics when we get back.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weekend Adventure with the Boys
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Have fun, Im sure theyll learn a lot and remember it too.

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
I would love to do the same with my daughters. I think my 10 year old would really enjoy it.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
We're home, we had a great outing, even though it was cut short by heavy rains Saturday morning. We arrived at our stomping grounds around noon Friday, and wasted no time getting our gear unloaded and stung our bows. Austin was anxious to break in his new arrows I built for him. The game plan was to spend a good part of the day cruising the woods, stump shooting, and finding a suitable spot to camp.

We started out in a stand of cedars, but did not find any rabbits, and it was way too wet and muddy. None the less, we found plenty of targets of opportunity- 10 point stumps, wide racked branches, and wallhanger clumps of dirt or snow kept our bows bent.

Austin whipped out his compass to practice orienteering, and did a fantastic job using it to keep track of which way to the truck etc. I tested him a few times back in the thick stuff, and he was always spot on as to which way to go.  I was sure impressed.

We worked our way around the property, shooting, watching for sheds, and hoping to find some rabbits to get after. The rabbit hunting has been a big bust this year. We didnt mind, as there were plenty of other targets to keep us busy.

As we worked our way to the back of the property, I trudged the boys through the thickest, nastiest stuff you can imagine. Eventually, it comes out to a transition into a stand of maples, which is one of my favorite hunting spots. Many deer have been introduced to my arrows in this area.

As we approached the edge of the thicket, I spotted movement ahead. A squirrel at the base of a tree; the stalk was on. What unfolded next was the highlight of the weekend.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
About 40 yds ahead, a  fox squirrel was playing around at the base of a tree, I figured trying to remember where he buried some of his stash last fall. As I crept closer, I was annoyed by how noisy the ground was underfoot. A few steps more, and I realized what I was after was not a squirrel after all, but the top of a red foxes head. It appeared to be bedded, I figured snacking on something. I countinued slowly forward, and eventually it spotted me. I was surprised it didnt run off right away, but soon enough it trotted off, barking angrily. We all got a good look at it. Since we figured it was eating something, we walked to where it was to see. This is what we found instead.

She had recently birthed a litter of pups, and we mistakenly had run her off. I told the boys lets leave them and we would lget out the immediate area and she would likely return. If not, then we would figure something out. Sure explains the lack of rabbits on the place though.

We slipped over to a ground blind nearby, and holed up behind it to watch for her to return. We took advantage of the break to heat up some cocoa. About 15 minutes later, momma fox returned to tend to her pups. Unfortunately, too far for a good pic of her. She was the biggest fox I've ever seen there.

I went back this morning, and all was fine. the pups were all in the den, as was momma. If you notice in the pic, the pile of deer hair at the entrance to the den. A good opportunity to show the kids how nothing in nature goes to waste. This fox had found a deer, dead or dying from something, be it illness, or injury, and used it to feed on. Also around the dens were various feathers, and some rabbit fur.

What a treat to see the baby fox pups, probably only hours old. We have seen foxes over the years, but its rare to get to see pups. The den is only about 20 yds from one of my ladder stands.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
After watching for the fox, and enoying a break in the warm spring sunshine, we shoulder our packs and continued trying to reduce the over abundant population of stumps. As it was getting on into the later part of the afternoon, time to make camp was at hand.

I put the boys to work buildng a lean-to shelter, which was a bit tough with the leaves being so wet. They worked on that, gathered firewood, and we soon had a comfortable, but muddy, camp. I showed them how to gather tinder, and how to use a fire striker. We brought no lighters or matches, so failure was not an option. They need practice, but with Dads help, we soon had a fire crackling, and the smell of woodsmoke filled the air.

Once our fire was going, the hammock hung and the bivy sack set up, we prepared a dinner of Mountain House stroganoff, which is really tasty, especially after a day of stomping and stumpin.

With full bellies, we sat around the fire and relived the days events. As we drifted to our sleeping bags, the warmth of the fire put us to sleep.

Although the weather cut our adventure short today, the boys had a great time, and learned valuable outdoors skills that we will continue to work on. They are already bugging me as to when we get to go again.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Great post,thank you for sharing!! Used to do that when I was a kid with my brother!! looks like you gents had a great time!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
That was a great Post thank you.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Great post! Keep us up to date as your lessons continue!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Great post! Looks like a fun time.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline LarryS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
ENJOYING THAT WITH YOUR CHILDREN IS ONE OF THE BEST BLESSINGS YOU WILL EVER HAVE. YOUR A GOOD DAD
L.C.SMEEN

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
O MY this is great!!  looks as they might have found JOY!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I'll tell ya, the boys had a great time. Austin, my youngest, was smiles all day and this morning too. I  think the biggest lesson in the whole thing is there is never a lack of fun, entertainment and learning when exploring the outdoors. It doesnt take fancy equipment, it doesnt have to be expensive, and as long as you are prepared for what mother nature has is store for you, you'll be safe.

Little things like Austin walking a log over a big puddle in the woods, watching the fox, and the skunk leave a bg impression on him. He struggled with the fact that my us bumping Ma fox off her pups could have disastous results. After I explained that she would probably come back and get them, he felt a litle better. At first he wanted to pickthem all up and wrap them in a blanket. I told him if we do that, there chances of survival would not be any better as we have no means to feed and care for them properly. When he saw Mom come back, he was happy.

Of course I learned a few things too. This was the first time I used that Bivy sack, and likely the last. it was crowded with Austin there with me, but its too low profile and a bit confining, hard to get in and out of , and I'm not sure its what I want for backcountry elk hunting. It will not make the trip next time I go.

The Hennessy Hammock is a neat set up, but also very hard to sleep in,and Alex agreed this morning. So, trial and error gear evaluation continues. Austin wants to try the hammock next time.

As far as stump shooting goes, it is my opinion there is not a better way to practice with a longbow than blasting stumps sticks and whatever else is is view while roaming the woods. I shoot better doing that than any other means of practice. We shoot ping pong balls in the yard all summer, and its awesome practice.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
That is just awesome. You are doing great by those boys!
The fox was a treat for them Im sure.
Cant wait to do similar things with my boy...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
John, awesome. What a great time with your boy's. This I'm sure is something they will remember for the rest of their lives, Great Job !!!!!!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©