3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leaving PopUp Blinds Out - Any Problems?  (Read 817 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leaving PopUp Blinds Out - Any Problems?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
My Ameristep faded terrably!!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
I left mine out an pulled the roof hub down to try and hide it a little. When I came back the next day there was a little block of ice built up in the roof depression. It wasn't exactly the quiet entrance I was hoping for. Hey I'm a rookie!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
My brother and I left one out for about a month during deer season this year. We didn't hunt it during the last couple weeks. When we went to retrieve it the wind had blown it on its side and a pack rat the size of a rabbit had moved in and completely destroyed it. Needless to say that rat won't be chewing up anymore blinds.
Daniel

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
2 weeks to a month no problem. Many months in the Texas sun and they fall to pieces. It dosen't matter if it is a cheapie or a Double Bull. The sun will kill them after too long.

Bisch

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
I have heard of guys making a "fake" blind out of cheaper material.  Then exchanging for the real thing when ready to hunt.  Makes sense in getting game use to it.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
I'll be setting mine up on private land today for turkey season, which starts next week. I'll leave it out for about two months. I've left it in the deer woods for that long, no problem. I like to set it up between small trees, so the trees keep the wind from blowing it away. I used it once in windy weather out in the open, and I had to tie it to the fence it was next to, to keep it in place. It's a Yukon Tracks Elite.

The spot I've picked is in a switchcane thicket under some low branches of a big oak tree on the edge of a strutting field, and it will be so well hidden that I'm not concerned about it being spotted as new by the animals. I'll have to cut some cane to get it in, and the cut cane will work for more camo.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
KSDan is in line with what I do.  I take cardboard or camo burlap and make something ad hoc that resembles the blind.  The animals get used to it and then I replace it with my blinds when we hunt.  I put it back up when we are done for the day and move on.  

I take it down after season to prevent the eye sore some find not to thier liking, landowners if not on my own place.  This system works great and keeps the blinds from undue exposure, damage,theft, and conditions the game to them as desired.

By the way...I picked up a blind this week at a department store.  It was originally $80.00 and I paid $27.00 for it.  I picked up bow hooks too for .33 cents each. Clearance time.

I seen ten Gobblers and seven Hens this morning on a short walk.
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Wind can definitely be an issue.  I left one out all last fall, and recovered it in January.  A severe wind storm had blown it into some nearby cedars and pushed one of the pop-out frame sides the opposite direction of how it folds.  I was only able to fold it up part way and it wouldn't fit into the case, mind you it was in the dark and it was cold so I decided not to mess with it.  It's in the garage and I have been waiting for warmer weather to see if the blind is actually broken, or just needs to be popped back the right way.
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
me and my dad left one up on private land, came back a week later and there were beer bottles and cigarrete buts in it.
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I just found a ladder stand on public land.  Lazy is the word for that.  I called the game commission to let them handle it.  Please take them with you if you use them on public land.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
If you are leaving a Pop up out and there is a chance of rain.. Prop up the center of the roof with a pole inside.. The weight of the rain will probably invert it, and if you get enough rain it can collapse the blind and break poles.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Had one in the U.P. several years ago that a bear had his way with and messed up pretty good.  Here at home I won't leave them out anymore.  No bears, but a bunch of two legged theives.  Lost one blind to thieves and the neighbor lost six treestands. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Gus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
We have two Hidden Hunter 6x6 blinds that have been up since Sept. 2008 -- still up and no problems. We have had over 60" of snow this winter and afew days of 40mph winds. One is set-up in hardwoods and one is on the south edge of a 5 acre open field. We also have a 6x6 that has been up for two years now , this one is tucked under a jackpine and has fairly good cover.--- Gus
Experience the Northwoods... It rejuvenates the soul.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
I think it really depends on the brand and quality of the blind. Some are better designed for snow/rain loads. I have 3 different blinds. My oldest one is a Lucky blind, and its tall and doesnt hold up too well over time with wind. Snow doesnt seem to bother it too much over the short term.

I have a cheap Ameristep that held up great through gun season and into January before i got up to pull it down. The other one blew over even with being staked down pretty good, but it was more exposed to wind. Both are good blinds, although we only use them gun hunting, too hard to shoot a longbow out of it.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I would be more worried about theft than wind damage.
Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline TimRadke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I had cows and a South Dakota wind relocate mine by about 3/4 of a mile... and my cousin had a bear use his as a chew toy/rubbing branch.
Byron Ferguson Patriot
58# @ 28"

RER XR
49# @ 26"

>')///><            <-------[[[[

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
r-o-d-e-n-t-s!!!   :banghead:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Private land. I always put them out at least 2 weeks before the season opens. Leave the windows open, screens up if you have screens. Stake it down, put the stools inside, etc so I just go in when it's time and not make a lot of noise. Deer walk right up to it like it's been there forever. Mine is a tepee type so snow is not a problem. Previous was more like a hut and snow would push the roof in. Tepee lets you stand up better too.

sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©