3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best length for Hill style longbow.  (Read 2470 times)

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Best length for Hill style longbow.
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
For someone with a 28-28.5 inch draw, what would be the best length for a Howard Hill style bow? Would 66" be long enough or should I go with 68" and longer?

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best length for Hill style longbow.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
According to the man himself, 60" plus the last digit of your draw length. For you, 68". A little longer will be smoother, a little shorter will be a little snappier.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
Ditto on what Scatter said. You would not think 2 inches would make much difference but it does, you and I have the same draw length and there is a smoother draw out of the 68" version in my opinion.
I have 64 and 66 inch bows and they do perform slightly better and may be easier in a ground blind, especially the 64. But they do not shoot as sweet.
JMHO

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
My formula   :rolleyes:  is to take your height, -2 inches.  I'm 5'10" and like a 68" bow.
Lon Scott

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
I pull right at 28.5-28.75 inches and I love my 69 inch Tembo.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Indie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Sorry, I don´t mean to Hijack your thread, but I don´t want to open another with the same queston.
What length would you guys recommend for a 31" draw?

thanks,
Stefan

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
The longer, Hill style Longbow the more foregiving , and more foregiving on release, compared to recurve. 66- 68 wood work for ya.best of luck!!!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go with the 68". Smoothness of the draw is more important than what little bit of speed I might get from a shorter bow.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
My draw length is 26 1/2. I still prefer a 68" Hill or Hill style bow. I have owned a 66" and a 68" and the 68" was more forgiving and had less hand shock even at my short draw length.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Don't want to muddy the waters, but I think you're right in the middle.  I have a 28-inch draw and find a 66-inch Hill more pleasant to shoot than a 68-inch.  Don't notice any difference in smoothness.  To get the same draw weight at a longer bow length, they need to make the limbs slightly thicker.  Don't know exactly how much this impacts smoothness, but it seems to me it would be a wash. Type of woods combined with the bamboo, if any, glass vs carbon on the back, etc., probably have a greater effect on smoothness than two inches of bow length.

I also find the 66-inich more comfortable to carry/ navigate with in the woods.  One wouldn't think an inch on each end would make much difference, but I just felt a little more awkward with the 68-inch.  Really a personal preference thing.  I highly recommend shooting one of each if you can.

Indie, for your 31-inch draw, I'd recommend as long as Craig makes them, which is 72 inches I think.  Talk to him about it.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
I draw 29" when I'm behaving, and my Redman is 66". It's okay, but the next Hill I get will be 68".
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
I'm like Ben. If I do my part, I'll get'er back to 29 inches. I like 66" longbows. If I could notice a big enough difference, I'd go for a longer bow. Until that happens, 66" works for me.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
I have 3 HH longbows.

A Wesley Special: 66" 46# @ 28"
A Big Five      : 68" 50# @ 28"
HH Half Breed   : 69" 45# @ 29"

I am 6'1" and pull 29". The Half Breed pulls a little smoother but, I don't have any problems shooting the others either. In fact, I shot the 66" Wesley alot last year and hunted deer with it more than any of the other bows I have.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I draw 28" and I just got a 70" hill style bow. I shoot it way better then any other I own or have tried.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
I'm going to agree that the longer length is definitely more stable and forgiving.
I have a 29" draw but currently shoot a 62" Monarch Imperial. I love the way it feels and it hits where I'm looking.
Use to have a 72" HH Big5 and could drive tacks with it at 20 to 30 yards. Just felt it was to long for slipping through the Florida swamps.
I'm presently in the process of gearing up to build my own bows again, and the first few will be 68-72" lengths for my own use.
If you need the extra few inches by all means go for it, but I believe any bow from 60-66" is all you really need for hunting distances. (In a longbow)I prefer hunting with a 62".

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
I've shoot hill bows for about 30 years now ,and in lengths for 62 up to 70 in  I  draw 28.5 also never had a problem with stacking or finger pinch as long as it made for your draw . just my 2 cent
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
For your longer draw I would think a 68" may be your best fit.I have Hill's from 66" to 70",I draw 27".My favorite for me is the 66" but I enjoy shooting the longer ones also.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Spike, 68inch would probably be a good choice with 66inches being a bit faster and handier for hunting, and 70inches a bit more stable and forgiving.

Indie, you drawing a straight handle Hill bow 31inches? If you're using a flat hand with a natural relaxed elbow, you'd need better than a 78inch arm span to draw that far, WOW! A flat hand will not push the handle as far as a high wrist. The length of a Hill shelf from the pivot point to the back of the bow can easily be at least 1/2 an inch or so less than that of a recurve. Also, a slight natural bend of the elbow will push less than a locked elbow. All together can add up to a couple of inches or so shorter draw with a Hill.

Offline Mike Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
I had six hill bows, two were 66" and the others were 68" and 69". I always shot better with the longer ones. I sold the shorter ones after a few years.

Mike Lee

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Strickly personal preference. At 6'2" I've shot (3) 68" longbows for 30 years until this year when I got a 72" 71#@28" Hill. Now I want an 80#er to go with it. I draw 31" & can really tell a difference.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©