3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cracks in bob lee limbs??  (Read 877 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
cracks in bob lee limbs??
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
my 69# recurve limbs have just developed cracks in the glass on the back. they originate from under the limb caps. they run toward the limb tip. on the bottom limb there are 2 cracks and the beginning of one on the top limb. i'm thinking that it has somthing to do with the hole as all 3 cracks are the same distance from the edge of the hole. i'm pretty sure i haven't over tightened the bolts. my 54# limbs are fine and i tighten them to the same tension.
what may have caused this? i'm emailing bob lee shortly.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cracks in bob lee limbs??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
I had 2-sets of 56lb. limbs do the same.Both were under warrenty and Rob replaced them.I actually heard the secon set crack when I drew back and I had a Lee before these and knew to not tighten too much.The bow was an elite with 3-matching sets of limbs 2-recurve and 1-longbow.I also have another riser and mismatched limbs 49recurve/54recurve/49longbow all black no problem.I have heard of others with the same problem.Personally I think it is heavy limbs with clear glass that cracks but my guess only, I am not a bowyer.Kip

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
i'm glad they weren't skined. you wouldn't know about them till it was to late.......   :scared:  
also the limb caps have always been separated from the glass along the front edge. i emailed them about that a while ago and they also said that the heavy bows do that.

i couldn't decide which limbs to use for a bear this spring. i guess i'm using 54#
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
I've had a bow that has similar cracks as those for 10 years...they don't hurt a thing on the bow at all. As long as you monitor them and they don't start traveling, I wouldn't hesitate to keep using those limbs of yours.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
well they turned up in one day. i've emailed bob lee with pics so i'd better not shoot them till they get back to me. they are under warranty so why be content with a new bow that has cracks?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
The 54# limbs will be great for bear.  You don't need a big bow for them.  Be ready for great action at close range.  Most trad bear hunts are at less then 10 yds.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
wingnut you made my day. i'd shoot a bear at 3m if i could get that close. i can't wait.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
My Bob Lee Signature did the same thing and a couple weeks later the limb gave out. I bought it used, so I didn't have a warranty. Bummer
Daniel

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Mine did the same thing. The limb bolt pads are separating from the riser. This is the second BL of mine to do this.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
Don't worry Aussie - you won't have a problem.  My new B/L Elite that I ordered from them late last year came with some clouding under the clear glass.

A less pedantice fellow would have swallowed the bitter pill and taken his medicine like a man - hoewever I thought it was unacceptable for a 900 dollar bow.

I emailed Sandy and within three weeks I had a brand new replacement bow in my hand.  They even trusted me to keep using the old one and post it off to them after the newby arrived.  Does not get any better than that for customer service.

So don't worry mate - B/L will do the right thing by you.  Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
those cracks are from over tightening some limbs will do it easyer than others, seems the heavyer the more frequent, i have a set that when strung the cracks grow, and another where they dont move, i shoot the ones that dont move, as for the others well they are just done,  i traded for them so they are non returnable. im sure im the one that cracked them but i didnt think i tightened too much.

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Don't want to start a forest fire here, but I've had a shooting partner have the same issue recently on one set of BL limbs, had them replaced, happened again, He's now waiting for a new bow. Drew back one day with the "new" limbs, BANG riser splits.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Man thats weird happening so many times.  I'd like to know something...how far is the distance from limb bolt center to end of riser on this bow or others who have posted here?  2"?...3"?  
I was thinking like Guru, it wouldnt be a problem seeing as though it's a non-working component of the limb, but I've read otherwise.  It makes me think the limb is getting some flex over the end of the riser.  Can you see daylight under the limb pad?...also at full draw have someone take a look for you with a bright light in the background.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
2"-3" no way. about 3/4". it's got a rubber gasket also so the limb doesn't ride hard up on the riser. i guess if that part of the limb is working it could squash the rubber some before it came in contact with the riser.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
I believe it is pure limb movement over the end of the riser. I promise I'm not over-tightening the limb bolts. Both of my bows did this whem they were new.I really need to send mine back before the year is up on it.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
ttt id like to see some more on this one, deeply interested

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I have had no problems at all with mine and really like the bow.  62" @ 48# @ 28"

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
bob lee are replacing the limbs for me. with the new signiture limbs too. as the cracked limbs are a discontinued model.
bob lee =great service.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
ozy    What did he say as far as a problem or how to avoid this in the future and it is not overtighting in my case and I am sure others.Just would like to see what he thinks feels  it is.Kip

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
he hasn't said what might have caused it. he might know when he gets them and can look for himself.
had to send the old limbs and the riser, so he could fit the new limbs.
so now i'm without a bow for a few weeks.  :(    :(  
just as spring is coming and 3d shoots kick of. oh well better than in hunting season!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©