3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: USING FUR SILENCERS???  (Read 711 times)

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
USING FUR SILENCERS???
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
I got a nice mink pelt hanging around, and I wonder, do you just cut strips of the raw pelt to use as wrapped silencers, or does it need to be dried/tanned?

How thick do I cut the strips, and for how long to make a decent silencer?
ARCHER

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: USING FUR SILENCERS???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
I always used a tanned hide when I used fur silencers.  

Get a very sharp knife (x-acto works well) and a piece of wood.  Stick the end of the knife through the hide (skin side) into the wood, then pull the hide to cut rather than try pulling the knife against the hide--you will cut a lot less hair this way.

I liked mine about 1/8-1/4" wide, 6" long.

Chad

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I have another question related to this:  How do you then attach the fur to the string?

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Put one end through the string, then wrap it around tight following the twist of the sting. Finally insert the left over end through. Then secure both ends with dental floss. Do it with the bow unstrung. I have some beaver strips cut all ready if you don't want to cut that mink.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff, but I think the customs guys wouldn't be happy about animal fur crossing the border without permits..LOL

Thanks all the same. I think th emink will have to do.
ARCHER

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Nice...I was gonna ask those exact same questions today. I even checked for the How-to section...I love this site.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I slipped one end through the string, wrapped it around, shoved it up tight (into a "ball"), the inserted the other tag through the string.  Never tied one off with anything, and never had one come out--but a little added security wouldn't hurt.

Chad

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Go to fishing section and look in the fly tying department. Some times they have several different kinds of fur in small bags. Cheap and enough to make several pieces. If the hide is not tanned and soft it can rattle on the string if it is not tight enough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©