3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tusker Broadheads  (Read 319 times)

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Tusker Broadheads
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Looking for a good 190grn glue on and was looking at the Tuskers.  Are they a good?  Any opinions would be appreciated.

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tusker Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
These are a very solid head...a 3 to 1 ratio that sharpens up very easily and maintains it sharpness...before I started dealing in them I shot them in to 1/4" aluminum plate...both unsharpened and sharpened models out of a 55# bow with no failures...you can't go wrong with a Tusker!!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Blues -- I didn't know Tusker made a 190? The only ones I have experience with are the Concords, which if I recall are 160. Until recently, Dr. Ashby's tests suggested that the steel was too soft, esp. for the long leading front blade. Tusker listened and increased hardness, I believe to 52, which is good. Last year I carried a mixed quiver of Concords, Grizzly, and STOS, all on identical wood shafts, and found all three to be excellent heads in flight and design. The Grizzly got a bit more penetration in foam targets, perhaps because it was a modified design narrowed to 1" at the rear. In any event the Concord is an excellent value for the money in a world where broadheads are becoming pricey as diamonds. Ron of KME likes them as well. Their thinness doesn't provide a great single-bevel "shelf width" for bone splitting, and like all two-blade heads they definitely need a Tanto tip. Be aware that STOS is coming out with 190-220-250 glue-on Ashby-style heads this summer, which I feel are worth waiting for. But all that longwindedness aside, indeed the Tusker Concord is a good, solid, well-designed and economical broadhead that I wouldn't hesitate to use on elk or most anything else. Dave

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Hey Dave, did you happen to shoot the Aztec?

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Tusker does make a glue on 190 grain Concorde. It's at the bottom of the link.

http://www.braveheartarchery.us/new_page_2.htm
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
The Aztec is a good solid head too with the curved profile...Pete ward shot an elk with one a couple of years ago and it lodged in the neck vertabrae...he pulled it out with a pair of vise grips and it was shootable again after cleaning...any of the Tusker line is a good choice!! Check out the review...it was done before John from Tusker made the 190's.
 www.peteward.com

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
I'm really keen on the Tuskers, and like Dave said Ron at KME really likes them too.  We both handle a lot of broadheads.  Also as mentioned above, the hardness has been greatly increased.  Couple that with the .060 thickness of the spring steel and you've got a really tough head that takes a great edge and flies wonderfully.  Plenty thick for a great single bevel too.

I haven't killed anything with one yet (not for lack of trying   "[dntthnk]" ) but I know a good head when I see one.  I'm so impressed with the quality and value you'll be seeing even more Tuskers at Braveheart in the future.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Gorilla -- No, only the Condord. I like the straight, long and narrow heads, per Doc Ashby's test results.

And yes, thanks SlowBow for mentioning that in addition to going with harder steel, Tusker also listened to Ashby re thicker steel. As I noted, still not thick enough for optimum single-bevel effect (ASB "Ashby," Steel Force, etc.), but as thick or thicker than most glue-ons availab le right now and certainly a huge improvement in strength for that long lovely naked blade tip out front of the ferrule. They could smooth out the spot-welds a bit more and make it even better. We have a lot of great choices in broadheads right now that we didn't have just a few years ago, getting better all the time, and Tusker is among them. dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©