3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrrow length  (Read 324 times)

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
arrrow length
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
If my drae length is 26" should I be shooting a 27' or 27/12 inch, or close to that.? I think part of my problem is my aarows are to long for my draw. Thanks
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrrow length
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Well it depends on how well the arrow fits the bow your shooting.  If it takes added length the tune the arrow to the bow, then added length is fine.

In the old days we always cut the arrow about an inch longer then the draw.  With carbon technology you kinda throw that out and work length and point weight to get the proper arrow flight.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
How much arrow is in front of the riser dont mean squat, cut arrow length to get perfect flight from having the the correct spine/deflection.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Put it this way, if during the process of your tuning, you find that your finished arrow length is less than 3/4" in front of the riser, you may consider selecting a different spine to get that arrow coming out 3/4" or more from the front of the riser to allow some clearance for the broadhead.  But like hvyhitter said, as far as being too long, there is no such animal.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
Some shooters don't like that extra arrow sticking out there.  If you want your arrows to be just in front of the bow riser, then spine very close to your bow weight. You can always add some weight out front if the arrow is too stiff.  It is definitely an individual thing.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I have a 26" draw also and my arrows are from 27.5" to 29" respectivly. If I break the tip off of a 29" woodie I'll just taper and add a bit heaver point. Works Out Great! Same with 2016's.

* As stated above... arrow length is an individual thing. You are gonna what "True and Accurate Flight".

Best Of Luck To Ya!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Well I used to be in the cut them just long enough to shoot a broadhead camp.With carbon after playing around with full length shafts I can see a lot of benefit to just shooting them long.I think I am going to quit cutting arrows and just tune with what ever point weight I need for different spines and bows.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
If you are shooting wood or aluminum you have so many different spines to choose from so you could end up with an arrow 1" past your draw.But like said carbons are not available in as many different spines,so I start full length and tune from there.With carbons I don't worry about length at all.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
"Too long" (really is no such animal) is much better than too short - shish kabob of finger should be avoided at all times.  

Every bowyer and arrow maker I've talked to says 1" longer than your draw minimum, but if you think there's any chance your draw will expand, go even longer so you don't have to buy all new arrows.  

The truth about carbon arrows has already been revealed above - start long and shorten gradually until they fly properly.  I have 29" draw and Carbon Express Heritage 250s fly beautifully at 31.5" with a 175 gr. point.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
How well they fly is all that counts. I leave my arrows long 'cause then I don't have to shoot as far!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
I draw 26" and most of my arrows are 30" they seem to tune better  overhang does not matter I believe a longer arrow flys better for me !
Gord

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©