3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fat man tree stand  (Read 1877 times)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Fat man tree stand
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Ok so I've gained some weight but I'm working on it. I'm 6'4'' and 310lbs. What kind of tree stand do you BIG guys use. I can still get around good but don't think I would like a hand climber and I need a portable.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fat man tree stand
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Hey R.H., your'e not a fat man.  we are just big guy's.  6'3 300# here. .....We just enjoy life..Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
Summit Goliath.  I'm 6'3" and over 300# and love mine.  Summit has great customer service to boot.

Chad

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Hey Chad...Does Summit have a website??

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Lone Wolf Sittin climb! quitest stand on the market!!!!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
DesertDude,that's the attitude I like. I shot a nice buck while hunting with two little guys once.They said they would carry it since I killed it. After watching them struggle for 10 min.only going about 50yds I threw it over my shoulder and walked a half mile to the truck. LBR,does that stand have a bar in front at the knee? Can you shoot sitting?

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Heck R H----wanna go elk hunting? You might come in mighty handy! LOL. Only kidding.

Jeff  :smileystooges:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
It does have a bar across the front.  I haven't tried to shoot sitting, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Their site is  www.summitstands.com.

Chad

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
I don't know much about them but a buddy of mine swears by Screaming Eagle stands.  His point of pride about them is that they have "no load limits".  Don't know what your preferences are, but as LBR says, Summit makes a darn good stand too.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
I'm a little smaller than you guys 6'3" 280#.
I use a API baby grand for a more permaent stand set up with Summit Buck steps. Abig comforable seat and platform but not a real quiet stand to put up and hunt out of. The buck steps ar'nt quiet to put up either because of the metal hook but are nice to climb up with the bigger steps.

If I'm moving around or going to set up and hunt I use a Lone Wolf Alpha with Lone Wolf Sticks. The Alpha is quiet but the seat is a little small for an all day sit for me.

A Gorrila Silver Back Magnum is also a light and easily set stand with a big comfy seat, but I prefer a ratchet strap to the standard strap.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
JBiorn,that was a long time ago.I haven't tried it lately. I'll still carry your elk though if you'll let me make more than one trip LOL.You just let me know when. BobW,I remember the Screaming Eagle stands but haven't seen them in years.Do you know a distributer?

Offline Swiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
I am 6ft and weigh 275lbs. I have a goliath from summit treestands and have never felt so safe.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
I borrow a boom truck from the power company if I really need to hunt in the air.    :D
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
That's true I really prefer to hunt off the ground. But sometimes you just gotta get up.

Offline DEERSLAYER1961

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
What a bunch of light weights   :biglaugh:  I'm 6' 290  I use a API Grand Slam climber, and I feel 100% safe in it.  I also use a Rivers edge fixed stand with Ameristep Grizzly tree steps which is very stable as well.  Don't forget your safety harness!

>DEERSLAYER---->
"FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW"

Offline J.Nordwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I was wondering the same thing well kind of. I work construction and know for a fact that the safty people always under rate ther stuff. 300 lb rating is more like 450+ They do this for safty reasons. So do you think the treestand people do the same?? I bought the summit copperhead. The tag says 300 lbs So I figure it shold be good a little more. I'm 6 foot right at 300lbs. Just a bunch of biguns here I guess.
FEAR NOTHING

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
J.Nordwell,I think you would be ok in a stand rated for 300 lb as long as you don't take your lunch.  :biglaugh:  I personally wouldn't get in one rated for 250 lb even without MY lunch.  :biglaugh:  Just kidding bro.

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Hey, what's with the summit tree stand link? It says I need a password and stuff to view the site?
  I got it work by way of a Google search... never mind.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
Although I normally hunt from the ground, I do own a ladder stand I got from Sportsmans guide with 500 lb. weight capacity. Cost was good (around 200 including shipping) and extremely stable. But I'm a lightweight--6'1 and 250.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »
The best of the best is the Chippewa Wedge-Loc tree stands. Their "Brute" and "Brutus Maximus" models are rated for 475#. Their hanging system is the
quickest and easiest bar none.
  www.Chippewawedgeloc.com
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©