3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what made you shoot start shooting traditional?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline 808nate

• Trad Bowhunter
what made you shoot start shooting traditional?
« on: March 16, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Pretty much as the title might suggest, what made you start shooting traditional archery?
personally I opted to shoot traditional becuase to me that how archery was meant to be, the graceful curve of my longbow and knowing how much history is behind it when I shoot it makes all the "well compunds are more powerful, accurate, better for hunting etc" comments I get worth putting up with.    :archer:   and besides, I don't have the time, money or want to worry about cams, sights, fancy arrow rests, mechanical releases and all that jazz.

So how about the rest of you? what made you want to shoot traditional?

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what made you shoot start shooting traditional?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
Started tradional as a kid. Thought the way to go as I grew up was follow technology. Well, I got sick of all the gadgets and the weight of it all. Went back to trad and there is no turning back to tech. I am having way too much fun.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
My dad ! We were poor LOL!!!
It was what his dad did and it was passed down as what to use. Just like our guns, all single shot or black powder. They were, and still are, people of the "old ways". Yea, my brother and I experimented with compounds and such, but it just was'nt the same, kinda like mama's cook'n, just ain't the same. It's just a way of life. I put mine down for awhile, work and all, but I have felt the fire kindling again and it's time to stoke it some !

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
It was 1969 BC (Before Compound). Nothing made me. I wanted too! Sorry couldn't resist!   :bigsmyl:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
It was AC (After Compound)  It started out as a challenge.. Then it got addictive, Been in my blood since.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
I really grew tired of all the mechanical gizmos that can(and will)break or fall out of adjustment at just the wrong time. And when the compound IS working correctly, it just feels too much like a gun to me.

Not to mention the trad bows are just plain ol' fun to shoot!

Jeff

Offline Chuck Fawcett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
It seems the most accurate way to shoot a bow under actual hunting situations and scenario's. The compound was really heavy after lugging that around all day fully loaded, sore shoulders, and I started out that way as a boy, returned to it and have started making my own self-bows with the help of many on here and just love the simplicity.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Like JBiorn said just got tired all the complication and gadgets that compounds have. Also was tired of the constant desire to pe perfect, always adjusting the sight after each shot, just lost its appeal.  Not that you don't strive to be a better shot with a longbow, but it is just different, more about the mind and form than the equipment.  I can't explain it, but I know you guys know what I am talking about.

The last few years I shot a compound, I kept threatening to go trad, then had an oppertunity to trad one of my old compounds for a robetson stykbow purist.  from them on, havn't looked back.  Trad brought the fun and challange back into my shooting.

Good thread!

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
I have worked at an archery shop about 5 yrs, because of my discount, I bought a new compound every year. 2 years ago, during late season, I bought a Hoyt Trykon. 20 hours later, I killed a fat doe with it.  :saywhat:    This year's bows didn't seem like the improvements were worth the money, and I WHACKED two with the Hoyt.   :D  I had been thinking trad for a long time and just never persued it. I decided it was time since I wasn't getting a compound and recieved my Savannah 3 weeks ago  :archer:  It's by no means over with my Trykon, but I think I'm likin' this!!
Bret M. FullER

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
My old man gave me a BPearson recurve when I was 8 years old. Still use it for bowfishing. Never could afford a compound, so I stuck to the recurve and longbows.

Too many bells and whistles on those compounds for me. Just means more stuff to rattle around and fall off in the woods.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
Had nothin but bad luck with compounds,I dont baby my gear.I gave archery up when my 1st son was born and couldnt find the time to shoot.This past summer when I bought a recurve for my 5 year old and started shooting it myself(sorry but I couldnt help myself)I remembered how much fun I had with that old red glass bear when I was a kid.I bought a curve last summer and wish Id never put them down in the first place.

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
I started out in the compound world.  I volunteered to handle my dog for a pheasant hunt put on by the state bow hunters organization. Since I shot a compound I didn't think I could manage to shoot a flying bird. After spending a day watching 6 guys with recurves and longbows having the time of their life I decided it was something I just had to try.  I kept my compound for 3 years after purchasing my first longbow.  I've never looked back since.  Like many have said above, it became a way of life.  And now I often combine my two passions, longbows and bird dogs.

Howard

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
My cousin made the jump a year or two ahead of me.  We were shooting in my back yard one afternoon and I was floored by the quiet and "graceful" image of a longbow being shot.  Just thought it was cool!  First experience resulted in exploding an old recurve when I drew it to 31" (sorry 'bout that one Brent).  Ordered a Checkmate Crusader, and I am now learning.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I had started hunting with an old recurve in the mid 70's but a few years later I was given a compound by my moms cousin because I hadn't killed anything with my recurve.
The compound only allowed me to miss faster and after hunting with it for a few years the guy that gave me the compound started hunting with a longbow and after shooting his bow I went back.
He took me over to a little archery shop in Potterville Michigan and I bought a 68" LaClair Hunter longbow. Can't remember the fella that ran the bow shop but he looked like a big ol mountain man!  ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
My father and grand father, got me into it....in a different way. They thought bowhunting was insane wheels or not....so that meant I had to do it to prove to them I could. I gave up wheels later to impose more diffculty.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
I blame my buddy Damon and his father-in-law Shawn! What a wonderful addiction they got me hooked on...
I too started out with a recurve, then thought compounds were the way to go. Im back now...and my wheelie bow is geting real dusty.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
From the day I first wanted to start bowhunting/shooting a bow at age 10, I wanted to shoot trad equipment. I shot compounds for a few years, mostly cause dad bought my first bow and thought that a compound was the only way to go. But there was never a day that I shot a bow that I didn't want it to be a recurve or longbow...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
I just wanted a change.  My dad has always shot a recurve.  For me it was time to try something harder.  It was either trophy hunt or try some other way to take a critter.  I have two problems with trophy hunting.  One - I don't hunt where I have a good chance of seeing a trophy buck, let alone killing one.  Two - I like to fling arrows too much.  So I went with a recurve.  I have to say, it is definately more fun to shoot.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
John Lee used to live and work close by where I live now.  We were both archery collectors and somehow we got together.  I remember John traveled extensively in his job and looked up a number of old timers including Howard Hill as well as John Schulz (American Longbow).  I also remember being over to his home and seeing his collection of Hill bows and other traditional bows and became very interested in this style of bow and traditional shooting.  From those encounters, I got hooked on the Hill type longbow.  John recommended that I contact John Schulz and the rest as they say is history.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
John Lee used to live and work close by where I live now.  We were both archery collectors and somehow we got together.  I remember John traveled extensively in his job and looked up a number of old timers including Howard Hill as well as John Schulz (American Longbow).  I also remember being over to his home and seeing his collection of Hill bows and other traditional bows and became very interested in this style of bow and traditional shooting.  From those encounters, I got hooked on the Hill type longbow.  John recommended that I contact John Schulz and the rest as they say is history.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©