3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate aluminum arrows!  (Read 2295 times)

Offline PigStikker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate aluminum arrows!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
They can have my aluminum arrows when they pry them from my cold, dead hands!   N-E-Way, Aluminums are great, even against some rocks, but they don't seem to fare too well against steel plated transformer boxes (which are unfortunately located behind my McKenzie Javelina, outside my property line).   :)

Matt
Form and Focus

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
Another plus for woodies they're non conductive

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »
Pigstikker, If you are shooting aluminium you WILL have cold hands. HaHa

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
I felt the same way. Went to Easton Axis ST's and have never looked back. They are VERY tough and are actually very cheap as the only ones I have to replace are those that I've lost (2 in the last year and a half).

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
I'm with Shawn on this one. I shot alum's for a long time untill I started shooting carbons. Don't get me wrong, alum's are OK but carbons outlast alum's 3 to 1 in the field. I have shot stumps with alum's out of my Border TD and have them bend just from impact. Found I had to pass on any close (20 yards or closer) stumps when shooting alum's. I got a bucket full of alum's and just ordered more carbons because it allows me to shoot what I want, when I want to. Carbons airn't the say all as I have had the fail also (mainly inserts come loose and get shoved back thru the shaft) but they do last longer out of my bows.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
ur using the wrong shafts!!!!!!!!!!! there are buckets of Alum around my shop.. :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
Ethain, from your description, it sounds like you might want to try finding softer stuff to hit.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
I've not had the great luck with carbons. The first time I hit a really hard stump with a GT, it sent the insert up inside the shaft.   :scared:  Autumn orange has been my worst affliction (which are XX75, not Gamegetter), but I've also recently got some NOS 24SRT-X to build some "period correct" arrows for some of my hunting exploits with my vintage Bears and Pearsons. Easton introduced that shaft in 1946. Whatever you shoot make sure they are  properly matched, straighten up quick, and are tipped with a razor sharp broadhead. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I'm not sure if you folks are aware of this, but you don't have to shoot only one type of arrow.  I kinda' like having all sorts of them around the house.  

CKruse....the newer Platinum arrows are rather nice as well; very reminiscent of the old silver aluminum shafts (Swift and 24SRTX).

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Scootertrash

Man I wish they were Autumn Orange.  Mine are the old camo versions.  Those Autumn Oranges were beautiful shafts.  Me and a slew of other folks would love to see Easton bring those back.
Otto

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
I got six 2018's in autumn orange left over from the late 1980's.  They have been refletched several times and are full of dents and bends but I still shoot them from time to time. Really wish they still made those and the classic.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Took me 8 years to go through five dozen autumn orange 2117's.  Plenty durable if you stay away from the lightweight shafts.

Just switched to carbon this winter and, other than having to adjust just about every component for a trad bow, I am impressed.  So far I have lost two in an open grass field and broken exactly one, eight yards into a solid concrete wall.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
I pretty much only shoot aluminums. Never a problem for me. Like everyone has said, stay with the thicker walled aluminums if possible.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
I also like Alum. Like Wolfman said, depends on what you hit with them. Keep em in the soft part and the won't bend  :biglaugh:  

Chort

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
I'm not sure if you folks are aware of this, but you don't have to shoot only one type of arrow.  I kinda' like having all sorts of them around the house.
Me too...I like whatever bareshafts, then I pick the one that seems flatter/faster. (sorry, never bought a chrony   :o )

All of my bows have a favorite arrow. That's part of the fun of a new bow; getting the best arrow.

Keeps me happy  >>>----->  and out of trouble.
  :archer:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
I don't know how the smart folks do/did it; but I used to take a target/field/blunt tip; and hacksaw off all but an 1/8 of an inch of it; and then put a rubber blunt over it.
 That way my stump shooting saved my aluminum arrows from wrecking too much.
 If you just slip the rubber blunt on without a flat surface; the arrow can pass through the blunt; and ruin the arrow or worse.
 I shoot some gamegetters once and a while; but I pretty much stick to the sticks; I like POC and like they say- wood has a 'soul'.
  If your shooting metal blunts- your going to be held accountable for it on rocks and such.
  I really liked the 2216 - and I went through a lot of autumn orange ones over the years  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©