3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pittsley Predator recurve - I bought it!!!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Pittsley Predator recurve - I bought it!!!
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:57:00 AM »
I have a bit of spare time tomorrow and want to drive down to Canberra to take a look at a Pittsley Predator.  The archery shop down there is the distributor for these bows in Australia.  

He told me he has a nice little Hunter number in stock - 45# @ 28, 60", RH - just what a man had in mind.  At my draw length she will be pulling a healthy, hog-slamming 48-49#!!!!

I have my two fine longbows, but just as a new project, I want to get a nice recurve again.

I did a search here and on that 'other' site and read a lot of good things about the Predator recurves.

However on one of the threads on that 'other' site a bloke on there said - quote - "The worst bow I've laid hands on was a Pittsley Predator recurve...Huge grip, Loud as hell, even with a mtn. muffler string, poor limb alignment on riser, I could throw arrows by hand faster than it could shoote em. Did I mention the grip was huge?"  Wow - not very flattering hah????

Just wondering if anybody else had some observations regarding this comment.  Please don't write and say (as somebody will), "why take notice of what others say, make up your own mind".  

I will do that of course when I shoot the bow tomorrow, but if one is about to fork out a fist-full of dough (costs 710 AUD)- I need to have done my homework and at least asked some questions.

Cheers - Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pittsley Predator recurve - I bought it!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
My bow is very nice and I think it throws a fast arrow from comparisons with other bows I tried so far.  Everything looks good and fits well.  I don't think it is any louder than most other curves I have shot.  The handle is a larger size overall than I think would be ideal for me.  I have a medium size hand so if you are a large or XL it would probably be a better fit.  However, I shoot it well so it doesn't seem to be a problem; it is just a personal preference and feel thing.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
Sutto, Ron Pittsley is a friend of mine and he makes a great bow. Ron HAS been making great bows for many years and that should speak well for itself. I am sure some can find enough to bad in anything or any bow, they can have a say just as you and I can. When you shoot the bow your questions will be answered and you will rest assured that your little piggies will be in for some trouble. The bows that Ron And Mike produce are top notch and you should have no worries. I have shot and do shoot alot of bows, I have a short list of bows that I have shot and wish I had bought, Ron's bow was the first to make that list and has been on it since 1991.
   Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
I just sold one. I personally didn't shoot the bow very well. The bow was well made and very comfortable, but I have yet to find a 3pc recurve that could outshoot my Chek-Mate (Hunter I).

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
I have a Darton Predator II that I really like. It was made in 1996 when Pittsley was making the bow at Darton Archery. I shot one many years ago when a friend of mine, who was a friend of Ron's, had one and let me shoot it. I decided right then that I wanted one, but I didn't have the funds. Anyway, I have one now and I only wish I could've had it a long time ago.

I called Huntersniche.com and left a message, as there was no one there because of the Christmas holidays, to inquire about getting an extra set of limbs. Mike called me the next day and was very kind and informative about which limbs would work with my bow. He said that my bow was a '96 model and that limbs made from 1996 up through the present models, would fit my bow/riser.

Anyway, the bottom line is that if you want a very smooth, fast bow that has good looks too and has great customer service for it, then this bow is for you. I recommend it.

Doug
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
You could buy it if you want, Sutto, but you should be warned that your longbows will get jealous and stop working.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
I think it will be well worth your time to go shoot the bow yourself.  There are a lot of guys that LOVE the Predators.  I'm betting you will be very satisfied...

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Love mine!  Grip fits like a glove, draws very smooth, shoots faster (at 42#) than other recurves I've shot and is relatively quiet with just fur silencers.  However, only you can determine if it will work for you.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
thnks guys - heading off now for Canberra so will let you know what I think of this bow.

Cheers - Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Cheers mate,
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Let us know wha you think.  I'm sure you'll be buying one.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
I suppose you have left already but I will throw in a few comments about the predator. I bought one a few months ago and have not shot it a lot. But the few hundred arrows I've put through it I think its the best bow I have shot or been around. I have 2 sets of limbs one 52@29 and 1 set 59@29, Its a very nice bow. You won't be disapointed, By the Way I read the very same post you pointed out by the guy who didn't like the bow. I can't imagine what he was shooting, certainly not a predator. its just to far off to be believeable

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
I have a Predator Super Classic I bought new last fall and test drove it before I bought it. To me it has a most beautiful classic bow look, great quality and shoots well for me. The grip is a touch larger than preferred but I love the way the arrow sits on top your hand so thats a nice trade off. Ron does make different size grips I have read on here. You will answer your own questions when you shoot it. Mines on my "keeper list". Let us know how you fare.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
Hey guys I have just staggered in from Canberra.  It was a four hour drive each way so was much longer than I had anticipated.  However I can't find the words to describe how wonderful this bow is - truly amazing.

He had a couple of different grips there for the Hunter limbs - and exactly as some of you mentioned - they felt very different.  One had lots of nice palm swell but was far too thin in the throat for me.  I have huge hands and like a very thick wide grip in the throat.

Fortunately he had another new riser there off a Classic - the one with the strip of Purple-heart in it.  It fitted absolutely perfectly to my hand so we whacked the 45# hunter limbs on it and strung it up.  I had to pay another $100 for the riser upgrade - but I thought it was worth it!

I can honestly say I have never been so blown away on the first shot as I was with this bow.  I have not shot recurves for years and have spent the last few months shooting my T/C and Firefly exclusively.  They are both very quick bows but this Predator is something else.

I had to weigh it when I got home because I could not believe that it had 45# limbs.  My other two bows are only 43# but feel much heavier.  At my draw the Predator is pulling a perfect 48# - just perfect for some big desert hogs.

The thing that impressed me the most was how whisper quiet it was - unbelievable.  I don't shoot my bows with anything on the strings.  I only shoot low poundage so I don't want to rob any of the speed from my bows - I therefore have to shoot inherently quiet bows.  

I put the standard string on it, placed the nock and then shot it.  It was whisper quiet with no other attachments.

So thanks fcr all the good advice and positive feedback.  This is one very special bow and I am lookng forward to getting more acquanted with it.

Yes Ben, my poor old Longbows will be packing a sad for a while.

'Howler' - you are correct - there is no way that guy on the other site was talking about a Predator - LOL

Sutto

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 05:26:00 AM »
:clapper:     :goldtooth:

That sounds great, Sutto! I'm excited for ya! Glad you got yourself one for sure. Welcome to "Club Predator".

One thing I can't say, is that mine was quiet before I put Hush Puppies silencers on it. I must say it was loud. But, fortunately the silencers really did their job.

Congrats.

Doug
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 05:29:00 AM »
Thanks Doug.  It is night here and I am off to bed shortly after all that driving today.  I want to spend the day at the archery range tomorrow puting this baby through its paces.

Hopefully I will have some pic's and a report tomorrow.

Sutto

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
Good-oh, Sutto! I can't wait to see you bust some hogs with it!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Welcome aboard the Predator  movement! Get some rest and then we expect to see some hog pics!

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
Oh man we got to see some pics when you get a chance bud,,sounds like a great bow,,JB
TGMM

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
Congrats on the new bow!

My predator is not real quiet, but not bad at all.  I am wondering what you are shooting for arrow weight, string type and brace height just for comparison.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©