3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broadhead weight  (Read 442 times)

Offline Ricoh

• Trad Bowhunter
broadhead weight
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
I am shooting a 53# widow recurve. i don't know what shaft (wood or carbon or alum) yet but I want to ask what you guys are using for style and weight of broadheads. I hunt some pretty good sized deer in Ontario and want to go for moose as well. Have been looking at 2 blade and 3 blade (snuffers)in the 150 range. Any help and comments appreciated.

Rick

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: broadhead weight
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
I kinda partial to the Ace Express, a 165 gr straight 2-edge.     http://www.bowsite2.com/aceshopping/product1.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=9
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Rick,
I have shot Snuffers in the past and liked the result on deer...having said that look at the Ashby reports and you will see that single blade,  cut on contact, single bevel broadheads have come out with the best results on bad bone hits......I have decided that is what I am going to shoot.  It has been said here before its best to prepare for the bad hits and then you are still set up when things go right.  I will be shooting Single bevel Tusker Concordes with a tanto tip that I am getting from "Git er Done Archery" (Canadian shop so no duty, and a sponser here) My heads will be 250 grain with the steel adaptor and I will load the front with a 100 grain brass insert for 350 grain up front (again Dr. Ashby's studies)
Good luck with your choice
You might want to look at the Abowyer heads on the sponser page as well they look very good.
Allan

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Rick,

For two blades I use a 160gr STOS with a 125Gr steel insert (made by Magnus for STOS). Great broadheads, sharpen with file real easy and reasonably priced under $30.00 for 6. For three blade it's hard to beat the 300Xtreme made in Toronto, Bob Morrison at Morrison Archery sells the 300's.
hunt it

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
3 Blade snuffers wont let you down,I have tryed 2 blade and small three blades didnt impress me.I like a big cutting broadhead big blood trails every time .
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
My opinion is that for the deer with your set-up,you can't beat a big Snuffer. But for the moose, I'd go with a narrower 3 blade like a Wensel Woodsman.

Don't get hung up on trying to break bone no matter what BH you use....cause it'll never happen on a consistent basis....especially on moose!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
It's really hard to argue with the results of the Zwicky Delta &  Eskimo 4 blade.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
I see you're from Ontario and considering going after moose. I killed a bull moose up there a couple years ago with an Ace Standard. It blew right through and put him down in short order.

Offline tiur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Rick,
I only shoot 300xtreem, ask Dave.
Many Morrisons from 47-56, and they fly perfect
ASL

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
160 gr Snuffer for deer and a 160 gr STOS for moose.  Use the weight adapter you need to get good arrow flight.
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©