3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drawn for North Dakota!  (Read 307 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Drawn for North Dakota!
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Got to celebrate- My any-deer bow tag for North Dakota came in the mail today!

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

This will be my first trip there. A friend has a cabin overlooking the badlands south of the Missouri river, east of Williston. Lots of mulies, and some dandy whitetails. My two hunting buddies also got drawn. I can hardly wait... We will hunt the week before pheasant season in October, then try for birds for a couple of days.

Anybody got any tips for the area??
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drawn for North Dakota!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Scout me out some turkeys please!
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
It's usually still quite hot there that time of year.  Best time to catch them feeding or to glass is from first light to about 1 hour after and again about one hour before dark.  They tend to bed in the juniper hillsides during the day and just about imposible to sneak on them there.  However, with a couple of guys, you might be able to do some soft pushes/nudges.  I believe you can buy an antelope tag over the counter.  Might consider that.  Fun to chase the antelope around during the middle of the day.  Likely to find more of that kind of action than mulie action.  Once spotted, a pincer movement with two or three folks can be productive.  I hunted there for the first time last year.  Had a ball.  Have fun.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Orion, I like the sound of that. I figured it might be getting cold by then, that far north. My Mississippi bones are sensitive. We'll take ladder stands with hopes of finding some funnels.

Antelope would be fun too. Thanks for the info.

Joebuck, I'll check it out! I hear they're kind of funny looking up there.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
The weather that time of year can be any thing you like or dislike. Could see some 60 degree days and it could be a foot of snow.
Some pretty country out there, just take your time and don't be in a rush to do anything. If you think you have glassed an area enough, spend another 30 minutes. Have fun and remember the Mountain Lions can only be shot by us residents.
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Quite a trip! Enjoy every minute of it!!
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Hmmm.  Upon thinking it over, you might be too late for Antelope.  I believe that season closes (for bow) around Oct. 4.  Not many trees big enough for a tree stand, unless you are able to hunt the riverbottom(s).  Worth taking a stand along though.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
You can sneak on them if they bed in the right spot.  Like Taiga Recurve said, they hide in plain sight really well so take your time.  Morning is the prime time, getting out earlier is better, they like to bed where they can see.

You don't need trees to stalk them, mulies are definitely not whitetails.  Patience is the key.  BTW I'm definitely NOT an expert at this stuff, more like a beginner.

Jason

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »
Don, Congratulations, I also got my non-resident tag today.  Like everyone has said, slow down and take your time.  Glass every bush, I learned that the hard way last year.  It was a good lesson that hopefully I will not repeat.  Good luck, and bring a good camera and take alot of pictures.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
You will love it...beautiful country and lot's of critters in the right places in the North Unit.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
I think I better invest in a new pair of binoculars. My mini Nikons might not be up to the task.

Taiga, I have an understanding with mountain lions. They leave me alone, I leave them alone.

I read in the NDGF Newsletter that one of the lions this year was taken by a bowhunter, who shot the lion with a .22 pistol. I'll bet there's a story there!

Thanks for all the input, folks. All information is appreciated!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©