3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cottonwood for a bow  (Read 323 times)

Offline MontanaS

• Trad Bowhunter
Cottonwood for a bow
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Here in Montana we do not have a premium on  great bow woods, especially here in the eastern  part of the state.  Mostly firs, chokecherry, ash, and cottonwood.  I  am currently helping several men in my church build a bow from ash but I was wondering  about cottonwood.  One  of our men  cut down and marvelously straight trunk the other day and got six really nice staves out of it. Can it make a good bow?  Will it need to be backed? Any other thoughts?

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cottonwood for a bow
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
i've thought the same thing. it seems to be really straight grained. very light though
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline MontanaS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
By the way,  to answer the question of some from a post I made back in October, I'm in Forsyth

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Hey, I hear you guys are having a shoot there in ...?? April??

I'm in Billings..

SO..the ONLY way cottonwood will make even a decent bow is to back it... but I wouldn't waste my time..

WE've got lots of chokecherry and some service berry and lots of juniper... all three will make super bows... the ash is ok, but not as good as the chokecherry... this is mostly from "friends" experiences...as I mostly build glass and carbon bows...

Can the cottonwood....find the biggest, straightest chokecherry you can! Or juniper, backed...

Ernie

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
I wondered the same about cottonwood, my friend made a couple out of ash but cottonwood is pretty plentyful around here. Curious what people have to say about it.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Wow...Montana guys all over the place! Cool.

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Not to get off subject but I read in the MBA magazine they are putting on a spring fling shoot in May in Miles City.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
OK..sorry MTS...
Phil, something fell apart with that and now we are trying to sponsor the Forsyth shoot... Not too much further...you ought to try and get down there...

I hear you guys have a fun shoot in Glendive too...

Ernie

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I am not by any means a bowyer but. I have been lurking around the bowyer forum and ther was a post about what woods to use and they all seemed to agree on any type of hardwood would work. Any tree with thorns they also said. I am going to try and make a bow out of honey locust trees.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
I know Black Locust works....???

Yeah...cottonwood isn't a hard wood... it has some neat qualities... but bowmaking isn't one of them... It is VERY abrasion resistant and at one point in time, at least in MT, it was a law that it had to be used on public bridge decks...

E

Offline MontanaS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
I attended my first meeting of the archery club here in town last Monday and they were talking about a shoot coming up but I cannot recall the date.  Seems to me that it was later than April though. We are having another more well known shoot however, in June.  But it wont be arrows that are flying but lead, and lots of it.  The Quiggly Buffalo rifle shoot is Father's Day weekend.  Last year they had over 800 people attend.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
I just checked, its June 28th, Pronghorn Bow Men or something like that...  Maybe I'll see you guys out there...

That Quigley shoot would sure be fun to go to.. Seems like there is some other shoot going on that I'll be at though...

Ernie

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Cottonwood is in the poplar family and not a good bow wood. It is however good arrow wood.   Ash, choke cherry, service berry, and juniper are good bow woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Hmmmmm...cottonwood arrows.  Now that would be something almost "Montana"
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©