3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carrying bow on horseback....  (Read 633 times)

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Carrying bow on horseback....
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
Going for elk this fall and will be on horses everyday. Any suggestions for carrying your bow??

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carrying bow on horseback....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »
a bow sling

Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
I have only hunted off horses once.  The concern I had with a set up like ozy was what might happen if I found myself in the middle of a rodeo?  I didn't want to think about bailing off with a bow and especially broadheads strapped to my back.

I opted for a sling that holds the sting of the bow in a shallow "J" hook so that it comes out quickly and easily.  My plan was that if things got too exciting I would give the bow a toss if I had to.  The thought of it still makes me nervous.  

Fortunately for me, I didn't have any problems at all.  But I've read enough stories about horseback hunts to know that when sitting on one of those animals stuff sometimes happens.......  :scared:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
I've used a Cabelas bow scabbard for my recurve with slight modifications.

I don't think I want a box of razorblades on my back in the middle of a horse wreck.

Offline larryh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
the horses just get you there. you won't be shooting from the saddle. i always carry my bow unstrung in my hands and my arrows in a gun scabbard i altered with a full back flap. i stick the heads in a shaped block of foam, shove them in and push foam over the nocks, and close the flap. they are secure, silent and safe.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I use different methods depending on the situation.  I use takedown bows so when I pack in and out to base camp the bows and arrows are in a hardcase arrow box.  If I am going some distance to hunt a new basin several miles from base camp I sometimes use a plains type quiver that will hold my arrows and take down bow (broken down in half).  I use carbon shafts and remove the broadheads.  I wrap the broadheads in a small leather pouch and it goes in the bottom of the quiver.  I prefer not to unstring my bow when on a hunting trip (my string will stretch a little and needs to be tightened a couple of times the first day it is strung to maintain brace height) so if I am not going too far and not pulling a pack horse I will just carry the bow in my hand.  If I am pulling a pack horse I also have a padded kevlar cloth scabbard made to fit my longbow that attaches to the saddle so that the bow hangs on the offside resting under the stirrup fender out of the way.  Arrows go in the same scabbard with broadheads removed.  

There are lots of options but for me none of them include having a bow, and broadhead tipped arrows attached to my person.  I am an experienced rider and don't get dumped very often, but when a horse decides to get you off his back and rolls over the top of you as happened to me two years ago there isn't anything you can do to stop it.  I will not allow anyone to use a bowsling if you are riding on one of my horses.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Don't know 'bout horses, but if you decide to check out a bowsling, I saw a really nice one at our UBI banquet.  Nice gentleman designed and sells them, and you can see the website at  www.bowtote.com

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
I uses horses every year and only use two options.  If I am leading the packstring I break my bow down and put in the panniers.  If it's my one piece longbow I will place it in a pvc tube and tie it on top of the panniers.

If I am not leading then I just carry my bow in my right hand.  You can also place the lower limb on the toe of your right boot (sticking out of the stirrup) and rest the bow (vertically) against your body.  This makes it more in line with you and the horse so you don't have to manuever it all times for brush, rocks, trees etc...  If your traveling a long ways I would definately unstring your bow.   Like mentioned above your horse is just transportation to an area or spot.  From there plan on hiking a lot and hunting as normal.  We usually just use our horses to pack in and then leave them at camp all day and hunt on foot.

Good Luck

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
John's suggestions seem like great advice, and he has the experience to know what he is talking about.  Removing the broadheads wouldn't take all that long, and well worth the effort.  

I do remember the outfitter that we hunted with wouldn't allow a bow scabbard on his horses.  If he wouldn't allow them attached to his horses, why would I want them attached to me?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Oh yeah, by carrying your bow in your hand you can easily toss/throw it out of the way if a rodeo takes place.  There have been times when me, or a member of my party, has had to toss their bow to the side to gain control of the situation.  Since we don't have wheels, sights, levels, or the other mechanical things the bows usually survive the toss with the exception of a minor scratch or two.  Like mentioned above by getting rid of the bow during a time of chaos it removes one more dangerous element to the situation if it starts to turn ugly.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
whip you have a very valid point.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
I would not have it attached to the saddle,etc. especially during mount and dismount. If ol Nellie gets frisky, you could have a very unpleasant incident. There are some places that a bow does not go, and sitting on one is in this category. Use some kind of case like a rifle case if you can. The sling is nice on foot, but like many have noted, the bow and broadheads on your back if you get thrown can be chancy. I've ridden horses for years and the darn things could be gentle as a lamb for 20 years and one day just go nuts. Especially if around other horses or if you come up on a nasty critter. Doesn't even have to be a big one. Buddy of mine has a horse that can't stand dogs -any dog - afraid of them. Go figure.

Sam

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
After carring a recurve in a bow scabbard on a couple of horseback hunts I finally broke down and bought a two piece longbow for backpack and horseback trips. Broken down it packs much better and only takes seconds to assemble. It is the best system I have found for carring a bow on both types of hunts.
Jack Shanks

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
After having a horse almost slide out from under me on a steep and muddy slope in 1999 I never ride with a strung bow or arrows in a quiver. Lifes too short as it is. I always have time to get off and string a bow, so for short trips a one piece goes in a sock then a home made sling, arrows are always in a hard case. It doest take long to load a quiver. thats he great thing about traditional gear, its Simple!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
I still like Clint's sling if you're not on horseback. Where do you get those Clint?

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses. My initial thoughts were I did not want it strapped to me. Have been thrown off a few times myself and seems like it would be nothing but dangerous. I guess just holding it is the best option.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Rifle scabbards will hold a longbow.

In the picture below I have my take down two piece bow in a back quiver that has two sheath type pockets on the back of the quiver. I actually have a bow quiver full of arrows inside the main body of the quiver. I made this particular rig especially for horse back travel

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
nice ron....

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
If it can happen, it will. Minimize your problems w/horse for transport only. I hauled a friend 10 miles to a hospital to stitch a gapping BH wound. He was allergic to Novecain. Great ideas above.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
So I generally break mine down and put it behind the cantle and then I have my arrows in a tube that I put around my shoulders.

If I want to leave it strung a friend made me a scabbard and it hooks around the horn..works great. I put my machete under it.

Then on the otherside I put the shotgun scabbard

Then we are of to the trail.

The bags I can take with me rigged like this can keep me for up to 5 days no problem (tent - sleeping bag - food - pots and pans - utensils - first aid kit etc

and of course treats for banjo. I also made some tapedaros out of 5 gal oil cans to save my boots in the bush...what a god send.

Jer Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©