3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carrying bow on horseback....  (Read 634 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carrying bow on horseback....
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I've been carrying bows on horses for a long time. This was 1945, there's a lemonwood bow on the saddle that doesn't show in the picture.

My Pinto ponys name was "Scout"    ;)      :archer:    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I've ridden lots of years and miles in thick timber,steep,open,and not so steep. There is NO TRUE SAFE OR COMFORTABLE way. I use a frame backpack without a meat shelf to clear the cantle. A small fanny pack with the essentials at the bottom of the frame,the arrows go in the smallest hard case I could find, and the takedown recurve goes in a case. I prefer the safety of this setup,my hands are free,and feet are free.So if a wreck looks likely, I've got some options depending on the situation. Every likely harpoon and razor is cased!I'm off hunting in about 3 minutes. When gear is hanging up,down or somewhere it will eventually hang up on you,the horse,or your bow, and something is going to break or get hurt before being set free. A horses instinct is to pull when hung up unless trained otherwise.The same setup works great on motorcycles too.This rig developed after broken flyrods,one rifle stock,and a couple of "almosts" I read an article a few years ago where some guy was airlifted out of the mtns after falling off his mule and sticking a broadhead through the artery of his upper arm.Ride safe.

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Carrying the bow in one hand is an option but with a sling your hands are free to do things like hang on to the saddle for dear life when going up and down steep banks etc. Although, if you are an accomplished horse person you don't have to worry about that. It is also nice to have your hands free to eat, drink or use binos.
I did find that carrying the bow on your left side makes it easier to mount and dismount.

My guide, who was thrown off his horse two days later, had to be evacuated to Whitehorse because of injurys. He was carrying nothing on his back, not even a pack.  I guess what I'm saying is horseback riding in it's self can be dangerous.
Joe Furlong

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
Nice pics Ron. Horse back riding can be dangerous for sure. I have trained my horse the Parelli way and it sure makes a difference.

I put him in as many situations as I can on the ground then in the saddle so he is prepared as much as I can have him prepared. Everytime I hit a threshold with him or me we stop and work through it...ground first and then saddle.

We have even chased bears now and he thinks it's fun cause he just pumps up and goes.

Jer Bear

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
TTT for Tim
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
ssamac, i made it.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »
i pretty much work with horses every day . i hunt off my horses occasionally, and if the pony is behaving , shoot of them as well. either carry your bow taken down and secured or carry it in your hand for quick disposal. arrows , regardless of type should be stored securely. a full with back quiver of arrows can, and will be a problem........been there and done it and that was painful enough without broadheads...!!!

cheers
ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
A lot of good opinions and info here. I guess it mainly depends on things like rider preference and the type of hunting, including terrain. Personally, the last thing I'd want is a bow in my hands while riding. Horses don't seem to like things jabbing them or bumping their rumps, so no sling for me either.

I got tossed on a Yukon moose hunt...no physical injury. I had the scary experience of watching my guide ride a wildly bucking and squealing mare for about 8-10 seconds, and then finally get slammed into the ground. I've seen what a crazy horse can do. I don't want to give them extra reasons to misbehave, and I don't want any implements around me when the inevitable rodeo starts.

I used a TD recurve and slid it into a rifle scabbard, unassembled. When the time came, I just pulled it out and assembled it beside the horse. No sweat, and I killed a bear and a moose on that trip. To me, the arrows are the big problem on a long horseback hunt in heavy cover. There's almost nothing that an ornery mountain horse can't mess up.

Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©