3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string tracker for turkey...some info for ya-all  (Read 419 times)

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
string tracker for turkey...some info for ya-all
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Ok, I pm'd Guru about his string tracker techniques and he recommended I could purchase one at turkeyhuntingsecrets.com.  

Sure enough I talked with a great guy and have mine ordered with 3 spools of 17 lb line.

Curt likes the 30 lb line so I asked about that.  I was told it hasnt been manufactured in 5 years or so.  If I was lucky I could pick up an old spool somewhere but I'm not gonna waste a bunch of time looking. (if someone else wants to though they should immediately get in touch with me LOL).  The "Turkeysecrets guy also likes the 30 lbs line so...bummer about that.  :(  

gonna be a good year trying out this string tracker...I'm psyched...thanks Curt for pointin the way. Now I just have to call the landowner and see if I'm still good to go!!!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string tracker for turkey...some info for ya-all
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Good luck with the turkey's Randy. Hope you put it to good use this year.

Curt is just a wealth of knowledge and more than willing to share it with ya. Plus he builds a heckuva snake skin crested arrow   ;)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Thats what i use
Make a life, not a living

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
I love my string tracker and use it for deer, pigs and turkeys and plan to use it in South Africa next year.  Even with the briars and thorns in Texas, it usually holds up.  I only have the 17 lb test but have been pleased with it.  If I make a good shot, it will work and leave a trail to the deer unless the arrow falls out without a pass through.  However, if I may a ****** shot, (which I have) nothing helps.  Good luck, Bhill

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Randy, heres a string tracker tip.......shoot through the turkey and now the 17# line becomes 34#.......your PROBABLY fine with the 17# if you shoot enough weight to shoot THRU your bird...
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
has anyone ever used the "zip sting" ? that electrians shot thru conduits? the spools are much like those for the string trackers. i used a 35mm film can as a holder.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by 44charlie:
has anyone ever used the "zip sting" ? that electrians shot thru conduits? the spools are much like those for the string trackers. i used a 35mm film can as a holder.
Warren Womack told me he had used that years ago.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Good luck Randy   :pray:  

Since 17# is all we have for future use we might as well make the most of it. The 30# was A LOT more abrasion resistant though. I do have a few 30# spools left and all depending on how well I shoot,we'll see how long they last    ;)  

Joey, Even when you shoot thru a bird, I'd rather have 30# rubbing against cut bones and quills than 17#...

Are you hunting yet bud?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
Guru, vast majority of guys don't realize that 17# doubles to beyond 34# when doubled up. If all you got is 17# then Randy don't sweat it, shoot through it. ...hate to admit this guys but I bought 12 rolls of 30 2 years ago......there is some left at another site but you'll have dig  :goldtooth:

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Joe-buck...   ;)  

Curt...I'm guessin it will last you a long time the way you shoot.   :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Can help a brutha' out on the source    :notworthy:   , but unless ya braid it together,wouldn't it still be #17? Still possible for one strand to rub against a tree or whatever might break it, more than the other.

And inside the bird as it runs thru it's still less abrasion resistant and still only 17# test line.

But it's all we have now, so we'll have to be fine with the 17#.....still way better than not having anything.

Man I can't wait for our season to come in!! It would be nice to actually have both days on a weekend to hunt too    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Yeah right Randy    :rolleyes:   Turkeys tear me up man!!
Curt } >>--->   

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
Randy, did you remember to put in for the local drawings?  The 13th is the deadline.

Also, let’s see a picture of the new bows you have thrown together for the turkeys and bear this year.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
I agree Guru...30# is 4 times better!!...i had a 17# break off an angled back pass through back in 95'......he peeled out 100 yards of double line and then something sharp in his body cavity cut it into...never found him. Don and Lori Thomas and TJ were coming in that afternoon to turkey/hog hunt with Cory and me at the Paradise.....i was so disappointed i couldn't show them a REAL Eastern bow bird......those were the  Ghillie Days!!

Hint: don't think Game Tracker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©