3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to tune in and find right spine?  (Read 320 times)

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
How to tune in and find right spine?
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Here we go again, I need your advice. Posted a couple of times with questions on spine, over or under, and received some great advice. Deemed that by shooting a Savannah LB 50# @28” with my pull to anchor of 28.25” and using 2018 xx75 cut to 29” with 125 point was over spine for the bow and was ready to order 2016 xx75 cut to 29.25” would be perfect. Then I use the spine calculator that was on a tread and put the data in a with a 125grain point I will have to go down all the way down to a 1913 xx75! Then see that if the point was up around 200grains with the 2016 cut to 29.25” it works well. Now finally to the question and problem; I do not have the funds to buy dozens of arrows to try things out, the end use is hunting, but I shoot almost everyday to be the best that I can be and have fun; yet when I look at broad heads they do not seem to go over 165 grains. Help, how do you set up and tune in with the least cost? And it seems that the consensus is to shoot total arrow weight of more than 500 grains; how do you get there without being over spined? Thanks in advance for all of the help, good advice and patients with what must seem like the same questions over again.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to tune in and find right spine?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Jamie,

Here's one solution:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Broadheads+Points+Inserts+%26+Adapters+Easton+Brass+HIT++Break%2DOff+Insert_c57_s47_p257_i6757%2D1_product.html

I'm sure there are others, but these inserts will get you either 50 or 75gr before you add the point, so use 75 on the insert, add a 125gr broadhead and you're at 200.  I'm sure that the folks who know a lot more than I do can give you other solutions, but weighted inserts is one easy way to get the weight you need with broadheads that don't come that heavy.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Double Tee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Jamie,put a 145-150grn. point on the 2016 and I'll bet it'll fly good for you.I have a Martin Hunter 50#@28" I have the same draw as you do and a 2114 or 2016 @ 29" flys good from it.I also have two Savannahs one 45 and a 55#.The 55# shoots the 2016's good.Since the Savannah isn't cut to center as much as the recurve you might need a slightly weaker arrow so you might start with it around 30" or so and see if that works?
John

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Bump for ya Jamie!

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Jamie ,
I shoot around 50 lbs + or - a pound or two on all the bows I have owned and shot aluminums for several years . I feel confident that your 2018s with 160-165 points will work or if you go with 2016s , 125-145 points will work . To awnser your question about the way to tune with the least cost would be to go up in point weight on your 2018 untill you find the right combo then find your broadhead .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Jamie, we're in Reno at House of Arrows.  Between Todd and I and the dozens of shafts we have there on Saturdays, we can help you get it dialed in.  I shoot 2016's that are longer than my 25 inch draw and weight them with 145 gr points or use steel inserts to get them up to flight.  The charts may mislead a little.  i can alsoget 2314's to fly like darts when i do my part.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Jamie:
If your bow is cut less than center, 2018's are going too be to stiff without going way up in point weight. 2016's cut 29"BOP should be right on with 125 gr points.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by skychief:
Bump for ya Jamie!
Skychief,
Thanks for the bump.
Hearing a lot about the insert weights, but then when I start looking there does not seem to be any available for alum. Found a lot for carbon and see that there is a tread going now about carbon and insert. So I will follow that and try and learn more, old dogs new tricks. Thanks for the advise.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
this page helped me alot, its a short read but tells you all you need to know. plus this tread is priceless for what you need.
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=071526;p=2
Tommy
-just add effort.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
oh yes forgot -download the calculator.
-just add effort.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©