3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP)  (Read 581 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP)
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Hey folks,

Has anyone heard of the National Archery in the Schools Program? Except for Ohio, I've never heard of it. Are there any traditonal organizations that are encouraging it?

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Florida, Virginia, Kentucky, Oregon, Washington, Louisiana, Alabama, Nebraska, Arkansas, and a few I can't think of off hand.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Are any trad organizations supporting this program?  To my knowledge, they aren't involved.  I've tried a post on the program 2 other times and it keeps getting deleted. Is it because I've acknowledged that it isn't, at this point, a trad program?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
2/3 of my kids have participated in it. Both in middle school. I like it, they like it, it's cool.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I have no idea.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
My post was about 2 of my grandchildren doing quite well at the Ohio state tournament-both posts were deleted. So I'll try again.

Do any other states have this program-Delaware doesn't? Except for Ohio, I've never heard of it. Are there any traditonal organizations that are encouraging or supporting it?

My granddaughter’s high school archery team in Ohio took 2nd at the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) state tournament. Chelsea, a senior, was #1 female on her team, shooting a 274 with 12 X’s, 9th overall (highest female score 291, 10 X’s). The #1 Male Shooter for the State was on Chelsea's team and shot 295, with 11 X’s. My grandson’s team was #1 for elementary schools. Matt was #6 male on his team, shooting a 260 (highest male score was 288). Needless to say, the buttons on my shirt are straining right now.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Some of the programs use JOAD and FITA equipment which is Trad and is a starting point for some future hunters. Just like the 4H and Scouting Archery Programs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Actually, I was talking about a youth archery program. The third sentence asks the question-are trad organizations supporting the program?  That was my whole point. I believe the Olympic teams shoot trad, so why aren't any trad groups or manufacturers supplying equipment like the "other" type manufacturers are?  I offered to supply some trad equipment, and was turned down because everyone else was shootng the "other" type.  Based on my exposure to the program, there is no trad involvement, hence my question and the way I worded it.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Hi Phil,
Check your pm's.
Thanks,
Bob
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Phil why don't you visit their website and take a look at who is involved. I know of one Trad Group that has donated close to 40 bows and many arrows.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cedarshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Traditional Archers of New Jersey have been and still are active with the program.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
I coach a NASP team of elementary school kids here in MN.  In MN, we have about 75 schools involved, grades 4-12th.

Basically if we raise 1500.00 we get 5000.00 worth of equipment.  We have to offer a program in physical education (I'm a PE teacher)and they strongly encourage an after school program as well.  I have 20 4th graders involved with the after school program and we will compete in the state meet on the 28th of this month.

We have to use the equipment provided through the program.  Mathews Genesis stock bows with no sights or add ons and easton aluminum arrows.  

Although I'm traditional to the core I feel this is the best program to offer elementary school aged kids.  Everything is set up for the kids to find success.  Of course I bring in my "Indian" bows as the kids call them and do a shooting demonstration from the standing, kneeling, sitting and lying position.  I use the program to educate kids about my passion for traditional archery and to show them the options availiable in archery.

Chad

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
The official bow of the NASP program is the Genesis Bow.  According to the NASP website "At 20 lbs of draw weight the Genesis has the same kinetic energy as a 35 lb. recurve bow". Where are the Olympic style bows?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Chad:

We actually have 285 schools and more than 90,000 youth involved in the MN NASP program. Probably the second or third largest program in the nation.

The kids shoot with fingers and with no sights. Pretty easy for them to make a jump to traditional with that background.

I too am a traditional archer to the bone. And, I supervise this program for the MN DNR and am responsible for the equipment grant program that provides $1,500 to schools to defray the cost of their NASP equipment package and the training of teachers as Basic Archery Instructors.

I'm really proud of our program. We will have around 700 youth competing at the state tournament in March. Traditional Bowhunters of Minnesota should consider having a booth at the shoot.

Jay Johnson

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I'm a died in the wool Traditional too.  Never touched that "other" kind of bow until I started NASP instruction 2 years ago.  NASP has chosen a constant draw weight, universal draw length bow that lets all participants compete with the same equipment.  I show them my longbows and recurves, often shoot with them and when they have the basics down let them try some low draw weight longbows toward the end of class.I think that regardless of your "orientation", The NASP program will allow a new generation to get a good start that I certainly never had.  3000 participants at the national NASP tournament last year.  There are also JOAD and ASAP programs along with 4-H and Scouting.  There's HUGE interest out there for programs of this type.  I'd point out that as a 50+ year back yard archer, the national organizations suck at championing the sport.

Arne Moe
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
TBOF has sponsored teams.  Even though the NASP equipment is not traditional, we feel that it is simply worth the effort to put archery within the reach of kids.

As a school administrator, I brought the program to the first school in our district three years ago.  I am proud to say that we have expanded participation to nine schools.  In this year's state tournament, my old school took first place in elementary, my sister's school (she is the coach) won third place in elementary, and my new middle school was 7th out of 21 teams.  I also had the highest scoring middle school boy in the state tournament.  He just missed beating ALL boys by 3 points!

We run 1125 kids through the PE part of the program at my school alone.  I also have between 60 and 80 kids show up before school for archery on Wednesdays.

I encourage you to support this program any way that you can.

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I went to the NASP site.  The only traditional supporter I could see was Bowstick.  the program itself uses the Genesis bows, as stated previouusly.  they are good because while the bow weighht is adjustable they allow  all students no matter the draw length to shoot arrows at the same speed (if not adjusted).  I have a couple of students who have brought in recurves to use instead of the compounds.  I will let them compete in our school competition, but if Maine gets a state competition, or I can enter another states virtual tourney they will have to use the Genesis.  Anyone whho can should support bringing this program to their school or state.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
A teacher and myself tried to get it into our school system, I was going to mentor it for free 3 days a week.  But the school system wouldn't allow it insurance and liability.  Now I was not going through an organization, just the teacher and me.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Todd, get the information through the website.  There is a complete curriculum.  The program is in almost every state.  Safety is the primary focus.  Archery is a traditional PE activity.  

The system is so safe that my pe teachers are now using the whistle commands to provide golf instruction!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
Our local School District will again be attending the National's in Kentucky. Our Middle School won State, High School was 2nd and Elementary was 3rd. We also had the High Score High School Boy, 3rd High School Girl, 2nd Middle School Girl. I also am a Coach in the Program and there shooting style comes much closer to Trad than Compound w/sights. I don't know why anyone in Archery wouldn't support it whether they be Trad or Wheels. Its a great way to get kids shooting bows. Last year I got Gene Wensel to come and visit the kids and they thought that was great.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©