3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: setup woes:(  (Read 612 times)

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
setup woes:(
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
well the chronograph really messed with me today...i have hunted with and killed deer,small game, and even 2 hogs( one of which weighed 167#s and i got a pass thru!) with my 44# hoyt gamemaster2 using xx75 arrows weighing 525grs. well i just got another gm2 that is 54# at my draw. we set it up today and i tuned the same xx75's, just cut them down. they weigh 478grns. and shoot 155fps....that 155fps seems quite abit quicker than my 44# model. now its got me thinking that the lower # setup is not adequate. maybe i just got lucky on those hogs and deer?

any advice??

btw- the heavy# model has me consistently shooting a foot over target. trying to get use to it.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: setup woes:(
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Get rid of the chronograph.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
i would have thought that a gm2 would be quicker than that especially at less than 10gr/#
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
The problem with chronographs is you really need to know how to set them up properly and have them right. Shoot through it tomorrow and the numbers could be 30fps faster. As said above forget about it and trust what you've done.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
that is slower than you are shooting, unless you draw 25

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Take the 45#er, set chrono up for a broadside shot at 20yds. (PROBLEM FIXED,LOL)
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Ask the pig what you should do and which bow to use.   :smileystooges:    :bigsmyl:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
thanks guys...but jrchambers did say one thing true...my draw is 25.5"! is that bad....but i do know that the 44# with 11grs per # does pack a punch..just takes longer to swing. the 55#er seems to penetrate good but i have yet to re-program myself to the speed.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Is it 44 at your draw or at 28"?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
chronys can be messed with.
If you make sure you shoot through it at an angle...high on your side having it exit low.....you can get crazy numbers.
I don't know if it works on all of them. I told my buddy to shoot his wheelie bow through it that way, high to low and was getting 380fps...kinda made him happy  :)

Keep shooting what your killing with!!
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
bmb I to have a 25"draw,I haven't had a chance to harvest anything with my trad setup yet but all the gang here say's i have plenty enough to get the job done. now after reading your thread i sure believe them.
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
I would say that it doesn't matter how fast your arrow is..believe in your setup..dead animals are solid proof..not numbers coming from a machine..stay away from the chronograph  :banghead:  it will just mess with your head..bhfp
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
43# GamemasterII 28" draw 500gr. carbon tipped with a Snuffer shot thru 3 deer last year. Not sure what the speed was but will find out if this damn snow ever stops here in Minn.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Shoot the chronograph. They have messed up more people than instinctive shooting books.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
I find we tend to make things alot more technical and difficult than they really are . For centuries man has subsided and hunted with alot less than what we have today and I don't think they ever let a choronagraph get in the way. sell it for a dozen good arrows and remember K.I.S.S ( Keep it Simple Stupid ) LOL No negative intentions towards you ,Honestly.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline ChadF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
My 55# dorado, drawn to my draw at 28" was shooting a 505 grain arrow at 176-182 fps with finger release. These measurements were taken about 3 ft in front of the bow and were consitent through about 20 shots.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
vermonster- its 44# at my draw... the other bow is 54.8# on the same digital scale. i use a clicker on all bows and it goes off right at my full draw. i have a bareshaft marked to my draw that i use when i setup a clicker. and you guys are right...im getting to caught up in the numbers. it cant just be luck that ive killed animals. but i guess i expected more out of my setup....heck i sorta wonder sometimes if the 44# is to light for a healthy 26yr old like me to be shooting. alot of trad guys around here that i know shoot bows in the mid 50#-65#range.?

Offline ChadF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
Those deer and hogs dont know if it's 44# or 94#. I guess if it works for you and you like it, use it.

Offline Mourning Wood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
I am confused.Same arrows cut down to 478 grains and heavier bow shooting slower.It makes no sense to me but anything is possible.I agree with what most have said and that dead is dead and you already have a proven killer.I really think that your calibrations are off because as you have stated your hitting a foot higher thus in estimation a faster flying projectile.I'm old school,and in this game I don't want or need any negatives,entering into the equation.Every animal you took with the lighter set-up probably said darn that one hurt!!ED
Jack of all trades,Expert at none!!

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
no the 478 grn arrow is faster out of the heavier bow. the lower # bow uses a 525grn arrow and its slower. sorry for the confusion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©