3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carrying small game  (Read 494 times)

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
Carrying small game
« on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
How do you carry your small game when you harvest it in the field?

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carrying small game
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
I wear a blaze orange vest with a game bag in the back.

CS

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
I use one of those large steel safety laundry pins and pin it through a foot (on the dead animal) and then hang 'em on my belt loop.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 05:16:00 AM »
Get a four inch long piece of 3/4" pvc.  Tie a stout piece of thin line around the middle.  Tie a loop around the end of the line at about 12".  Thread this loop through your game and then loop it back on to the pvc.  When carrying, both loops should be in the middle of the pvc handle.  I have carried bunches of rabbits this way.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Game pouch in jacket or vest.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
You know, if you just b-a-r-e-l-y miss on those rabbits and squirels, you don't have to carry all that weight.  THAT'S why I don't hit them!!    ;)
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Howard Hill used to just stuff em in his quiver (at least that's what "Huntin the Hard Way" indicates)
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
That's what yer huntin partner is for !
ChuckC

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Take a wooden dowel 3/4 or a little larger cut a piece as long as Your palm. Drill a 1/4 hole thru the middle length ways. Take some galvanized no. 9 wire about 18" long twist it around a 1/2 dowel and make a eye at one end. Now push the other end thru the dowel bend it 90 degrees on the other end. Make a small stirrup back up to the eye. Leave enough room for a gloved hand. Cut wire to desired length plus 1/2 to 3/4" to bend a small " J " downward. Sharpen the tip of the J with a file sharp enough to poke thru Rabbit or Squirrel hide.

After killing Your game poke the wire behind the tendon on the rear legs and hook the J thru the eye. The weight of Your game keeps it closed. It swivels in Your hand as You walk and is comfortable to carry even with several animals on it.

This only takes a few min. to make and hardly any money. And if the Rabbits and squirrels in Your neck of the woods have as many fleas and ticks on them as the ones around here You'll never carry one in a game vest again.

bretto

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
I do Like Kevin, but make bigger "pins" out of #9 wire!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Brook Trout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Game bag

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
one thing i learned is rabbits around me have so many fleas you almost can't deal with it, so when i shoot a rabbit i quickly within seconds of shooting it (dead of course) rip all its fur off and cut off the head and feet, then a safe distance away from the fur i finish cleaning it. If you do this all the fleas are still down in the fur, if you wait even a short amount of time they start coming out as the body cools and yikes! i don't even what to touch'em after that happens
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
clean em right there and put them in a ziploc freezer bag.  Don't like cleaning cold stiff rabbits at home.  Plus its less to throw in the vest and ready to go in the freezer at home. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Get an old wire coat hanger, form it into a circle, put a hard hair pin curve just in the ends of it.  So you can clasp it together to complete the loop.  Sharpen one of the points into a sharp point.  When you kill small game, you can run that sharp point between the achilis tendon and the leg and then just thread them on to it.  Then just clasp it to your belt loop or clasp it shut and carry it.  

I can remember carrying this thing when I was too young to shoot squirrels, but you can bet id carry them things all the way home proud as a peacock in my dads footsteps.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
A vest.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
I use different methods.....I dress it out and store the meat in my backquiver in a plastic bag... or loop a leather thong through the hock/tendon area and tie to my belt loop....or use my Filson 3 gamebag belt pouch which works very well.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
I'm doing good to get 1 in my hands.  But I think I am going to start carrying a small collapsable cooler in my backpack with a couple of those ice packs in it and just skin it right then and throw it in.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©