3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What does "traditional hunting" mean, to you?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
What does "traditional hunting" mean, to you?
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
No reason to draw a line. I'm aware.  I'm not trying to define the term for anyone.  I'm simply asking what the term means to YOU.

I see a lot of "traditional" bowhunters utilizing more "traditional" methods while hunting (I.E. spot and stalk; exclusively ground hunting; even apparel worn; etc...).

Where do you fit in? Do you draw the line @ simply the weapon of choice (i.e "I'm a stick and string hunter")? Or...are you seeking to go back to a time before treestands, trail cams, et. al.?

I don't plan on changing a thing when I transition from the compound, other than the weapon/tackle.

For now.

So....what does HUNTING "traditional" mean, to you?

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What does "traditional hunting" mean, to you?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
traditional hunting to me really does not that much to do with tradition.  the era that most of us would say that our "traditional" opinion is bassed upon that the people in those were using bows and aroorws made from wood, horn, or other nautral products.  they were using the newest things they could think of because their lives depended on it.  todays "mainstream" hunters are so unethical, wasteful, and greedy have peverted hunting all together.  i use "traditional" equipment because it represents a time when people eat what they kill,  did not hunt for horns or antlers, and because it teaches dicipline like no other hunt method out there. there is something romantic about using wood and string to hunt with.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Keeping the wind in your face, shooting a bow with limbs that bend and making sure your family and friends are along for the adventure!

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
tring to leave a lot of modern aids behind giving the quarry a greater sporting chance. my brain is my rangefinder, sign on the ground is my trail cam, (not that i've ever owned one), i use a weapon with one string and no sights. i don't use any scent aids, except the wind. but i do use binos so i guess i'm no indian. i just try and keep it simple. the enjoyment of the whole experience is my goal not world records.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Stick and string with no sights is, to me, the requirement.  Everything else is a plus.  Wooden arrows are more "trad" than carbon or aluminum.  Natural blinds trump pop-ups.

That said, the more "trad" I can be the more I enjoy it.  So, when I can, I spot and stalk and use natural cover.  I cut and fletch my own arrows (aluminum) and, if I had the time I would try making my own woodies and fletching.

The reality is that I can't always do the things I want.  There are only so many hours in a day and the convenience of aluminum arrows and pop-up blinds has its appeal.

If I had the time I would probably go so far as to make my own glue, bow, arrows, etc.. but I don't so stick and string with no sights works for me.

For what it's worth.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
I think for me its about gettin close with a longbow recurve or selfbow.I will shoot al. carbon or wood arrows.Iam not intrested in hunting with a stone point an homeade arrow.only because Iam simply not that good. Ifeel I need straight arrows an good sharp heads to be effective.so I am a modern- traditionalist in some respect.how ever the biggest gift might just be its simple. an self reliant.

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
glad this came up,i use scent killer whenever im in the woods. usually i have my rangefinder when bow or muzzleloading.and dont forget my "leafy suit" and a 20 pound tree stand on my back!
 i guess part of this trail ive taken is actually having fun again.i have retired my 7mm-08 and ordered a ruger 44 magnum (handgun) to hunt with in gun season.removed the scope from my frontloader,and really enjoying shooting the old recurve!
 the bow was to strong for my son so i may use it to hunt with,its only 40# but i will embrace the challenge! im curious to see where this thread goes...ive already been thinking what i need and dont need.
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I am not sure there is such thing as "traditional hunting."

Not even sure there is such a thing as "trad" equipment.  My stuff is made with modern materials. . . so. . . .

I guess "trad" to me is recurve or longbow.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Ricoh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
Traditional to me means no wheels, cams, sights, drop away rests, release aids, rangefinders etc.. It means taking my recurve and scouting, stump shooting, cutting my own feathers, building my own arrows and spending quality time in the bush with my brother and my son. If a deer gets in the way that's a bonus and too bad for him.

Rick

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
it's an attitude, and it is not limited to hunting

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
I see a lot of "traditional" bowhunters utilizing more "traditional" methods while hunting (I.E. spot and stalk; exclusively ground hunting;
Excuse me but where did you get the idea that ground hunting is a more traditional method than any other type of hunting?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Other then the bow I use - no wheels,cams, etc - I don't use the term.

Steve

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Opps....don't want to start that argument...my question is offically "withdrawn"
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
OH MY...    :scared:      :scared:      :banghead:      :banghead:

:goldtooth:  Biggie

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
lol biggie that was funny, any how , traditional means just that traditional. all this gps , scentlock,3d camo,popupblind, treeclimberscentblocker doe in rut buck lure is all corparate crap to get you to spend your money. the tv shows they have is a marketing tool to get you to beleive all that crap works. you do your homework in the woods and you'll bag what your after. all the other stuff is just marketing bull that just surfaced within the past 30 yrs
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
To me traditional hunting is killing for food with the best weapon you can make or buy.  Trad hunting is picking some point in time, and hunting with the weapons and methods of that time, when legal that is.   I am a traditional hunter that likes the challenge of shooting low tech bows just because that is all I really need to shoot deer at the ranges I generally shot them.  Once you can shoot a compound bow with constant accuracy twice the distance you would consider taking a shot on live game the fun of shooting kind of goes out the window.  Trad bows make it fun again to shoot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
"Traditional"- old Indian word. Means" NO COMPOUNDS!".

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Nice one!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
If you have to ask.....

You haven't "been there"   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Pretty loosely, I look at it as "no wheels". That doesn't mean that I'm anti-wheels. I've killed critters with compounds and crossbows also, and make no apologies for either. Are they as cool as my sticks? No way! Did I enjoy them? You bet! But, ain't nuthin' like the longbow and recurve in my opinion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©