3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What does "traditional hunting" mean, to you?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What does "traditional hunting" mean, to you?
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
gregg:

It's a valid opinion.  Respect.

There can be no wrong answers.

Thanks.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Jeff,

You are so right!!!!  I know a guy shooting traditional that went to a heavier bow so he could take full head on shots at deer.  I know another guy with a scoped shotgun and a rifled barrell with slugs that won't shoot over 60 yards.  Guess which one I consider traditional and guess which one I WON"T hunt with!!!  

I hunt with people because of their ethics, not because of their equipment.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Interesting replies and it (this thread) opened my eyes a little to how some of you view "traditional".

I consider myself a mildly technical hunter, to date.  I study topos/aerials; use a gamecam for inventory (over my mineral licks); shed hunt; post-season and in-season scout (minimal intrusion); study any and all media I can soak in; etc..., etc..., etc... .  So...a lot of people would consider my techniques "new school".  Valid!

I got into bowhunting just a few years ago, but I've been hunting over 35 years.  It wasn't long after I picked up my first compound that I picked up a traditional bow again (shot a recurve for a very short time as a teenager, but never at game).  I think I knew then that I'd come back to it........when the time was right.

I've had 4 mildly successful seasons (22 big game animals) and I recently just felt "something" was missing.  Orion said something to me that really helped me to make the recent decision I made to switch to all traditional tackle.  I'll paraphrase what he said (too lazy to look it up!)

When how you take animals becomes more important than how big or how many, you'll make the switch.

That's beautiful.  That fits.  That hit home and I jumped.

But I don't see me (at least, for now) changing my "new school" tactics (other than changing my setups to better suit my tackle).  Call it old school tackle with new scoool tactics.  No apologies (offered or necessary).  That, too, may change as I go along.  I've had some desire to hunt and take animals in a certain manner and I realized that the only thing holding me back.....was me.

I want to thank everyone for adding their thoughts.  I wish all of you luck......but most importantly I wanted to commend you all on staying true to yourselves.  

And thanks for the "push".

Sincerely,

Jeff

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Interesting replies.   I guess I initially misunderstood the question.  As far as regards to strictly "hunting", traditional for me is hunting near the cabin my family has had for years.  Hunting the same blinds my dad and grandfather used.  Carrying the same knives, compass. Etc.  Telling stories at camp after the hunt.  My equipment has changed many times over the years but the traditions remain the same.

It's all good.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
As I said before being a traditional "HUNTER" has nothing to do with equipment.....

Hunting has been a "tradition" for hundreds of years(and a necessity for thousands of years)long before the tag "traditional" was ever hung on archery equipment.

The bowhunter that uses a recurve or longbow,then decks himself out with all of the latest gadgets,gimmicks,and gear,is just a bowhunter. Actually really not that much differant than a "compound" bowhunter. He just uses a "different" style of bow.

I myself am content to call myself a bowhunter,and really see no need to attach the word "traditional" to it. As I said before,I hunt with a longbow and my old Bear recurves for the simplicity and the memories they possess. I also carry several old rifles and shotguns for the "tradition" they carry of many fond years afield with them. Many of my friends bowhunt with recurves and longbows,but I also have a couple of friends and family that bowhunt with compounds. I would never not hunt with them,or consider myself "above them" because I hunt with a "traditional" style bow. I hunt with them because they hunt with the same attitude and ethics that I do,predator against prey,one on one.

I hunt from the ground mostly,sitting upon whatever nature provides. I have nothing against tree stands or "pop-up" blinds,I just see them as bulky and cumbersome and an un-necessary expense. I also will not buy nor use "scent-lock" clothing.Plain and simple,I'm convinced it doesn't work.I had a friend dressed head to toe in "scent-lock" let rip a "ripe one" in a pick-up truck cab one morning. If it really worked none of us would have smelled a thing,instead of having to stop the truck and all get out for a breath of fresh air!!!!!

The weapon we chose to hunt with is simply a tool,predator against prey,one on one.....

For me, THAT is traditional!!!!!

Just this Old Fart's opinion..... Thanks for listening!!!!!   :notworthy:

(I'll get off my soap box now)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
The bowhunter that uses a recurve or longbow,then decks himself out with all of the latest gadgets,gimmicks,and gear,is just a bowhunter. Actually really not that much differant than a "compound" bowhunter. He just uses a "different" style of bow.

No worries, here....just wondering what "gadgets and gimmicks" you're speaking of....and how they take away from "traditional".  All of the things I "think" you're going to mention (other than treestands) allow me to be  a more ethical hunter (IMO).  And treestands only allow more opportunities to "most".  They also allow me to be a more successful hunter (no apologies).

Just curious as to which of the aforementioned takes away from the traditional experience, for you (and your reasoning - why).

I've used a rangefinder (won't , now).  I've used binos (and will continue to).  I use wind checkers (still will).  I call these things "gear" or "tools".  Gimmicks?  Hardly (IMHO).

Thanks.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Jeff,

My point is, There is no line to be drawn. However,many try to draw a "traditional" line. I usually carry what my ancestors the Penobscot Indians carried a bow,arrows,and a knife. I carry my longbow or one of my recurves,wood arrows,and a hand made knife that was given to me by my Brother "adkmountainken" here on TradGang. Does this make me more "tradtional" than you????? No, It does not!!!!! Is the man who carries a selfbow and wood arrows tipped with stone points,more "traditional" than the man who hunts with a D.A.S. and carbon arrows off an elevated rest????? No, not really!!!!! We hunt game one on one,like it has been done for thousands of years. As I have said before,"traditional" has nothing to to with equipment,the weapon is simply a tool. Using primative equipment may lead to a greater sense of satisfaction in your hunt,but does it make you more "traditional"????? Simply put,no it does not. I you choose to carry the gear that you do,that is for you to decide,and nobody to judge. Each one of us will choose our path,and the "tradtion" that we should pass along is to encourage others to find their path.....not "follow me"

I personaly don't like the phase "traditional bowhunter" it has an elitest tone that some people tend to pin on their chest like a medal. "Look at ME I'm a TRADITIONAL bowhunter" I do what I do,because I want to. I do not judge others on their choice of equipment,for that is a personal thing,just like finding a bow that "feels" right.

I have enjoyed this thread,and thank you for starting it!!!!! But it was titled (maybe in error LOL) "What does traditional hunting mean to you" and as you have seen,there is a "line" there are "hunters" and there are "equipment critics" I am a hunter,but I don't judge the "equipment critics" either. They have found their path,and that is a "Good Thing"   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Jeff,
I read your post and jumped to a response.  Haven't read anyone elses.  

Sorry but I don't think of hunting as traditional or other, it is just hunting.  I use what I call traditional gear, but to me, that gear simply implies that it has no wheels, gears, cams or other mechanichal advantage devices on it.  

In my way of thinking, all gear that does not use wheels etc as above is traditional gear.  "Traditional" is a name we give that stuff and that's all.  OR we could call wheelie bows "red" and the other ones "blue" and it could have the same meaning.  It is just a name.

Techniques for hunting really haven't changed.  We still do the same things,  well, we probably don't run the herd over a cliff anymore, or run them into a blind canyon by burning the entire prairie.

Stalking, standing, blind hunting, tree hunting.... all those have been around since nearly the beginning of time.  Whether you use a gun or a bow or a spear doesn't make it traditional or not.  It just is what it is.

To try to answer your question.  I hunt with a longbow more than anything else, although I am not averse to using a gun or a wheelie bow...  Heck I might want to try a spear some day... why not.     I just usually use a long bow.  

I hunt in all of those ways.  Last year I spend a ton of time on the ground in a ghillie suit or in a simple ground blind and had the time of my life.
ChuckC

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
Traditional, well getting together with my father, bother an cuz every labor day shooting doves is tradition, hunting the 1st week Nov. on are lease with the boys every yr is TD, hunting the last day bow season no matter how cold or nasty it gets for the last 12yrs is TD. Taking my daughter out of school the day before youth day in turkey season(an deer season) so we can get up 1hr before sunrise to hear location of the birds, then spend the rest of the day at the beach is TD. Far as my bow, well thats just my preferred weapon, sum think its a higher level, to me its my level of satisfaction... I anit better than anyone else cuz i shoot a longbow it just who i am period
Bull

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
From reading through these responses, I see 3 distinct groups. Some feel that the type equipment used is the primary determinant. Others see the attitude and ethical considerations as more dominant. Then there are those who seem to consider that the equipment and ethics ideas are so intermingled that they are not really separate considerations. All these viewpoints are valid. Hopefully, we all embrace the same basic sense of doing what is legal and honorable no matter what definition we use.
Sam

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Tradtional is a state of mind for me. It puts the fun back in hunting, not worrying about all the gizmos on a compound that can go wrong. I wont pinhole myself about using only certain bows/ arrow combinations. I practice way harder, scout way harder, wait longer on the game to get closer and, take more precautions to be succesfful in taking game, and am just as satisfied if I dont, am thankful for the day afield and the journey I am on as a person,and a hunter, and the friends that are with me. I respect my quarry  now more than ever, enjoy shooting a bow more than in the last 20 years, have refound the joy of wathcing an arrow arch through the air and hit a target, whether it be a can,  a3-d , or a live animal, that my only sighting method is the one God gave me, just looking at the spot and watching the arrow magically plunk into. I become a 10 year old, watching Roin Hood, or Tarzan on the evening show moview when getting home from school and then going out and shooting my bear solid fiberglass bow till mom came out and got me with a belt because supper was getting cold! I feel free from all the junk sold on so many hunting shows, hunt more from the ground, for me, and walk slower, really enjoy the woods around me. One of my best memories bowhunting, sitting in chair in a natural blind, when I heard a noise and looked down to see a rabbit come up and sit down between my feet. He looked around, took his paws and cleaned his face off good then took him a little nap, between my #11 boots. He sat there for close to 1/2 an hour, then just moved on. I never felt more at one with the world and woods.
samuel koger

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
When i hear the words(traditional hunting)i think of,the way it was done in the old days.(cowboys and indians)  :campfire:
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
Koger, i had a small yellow bird land on my arrow one evening, i was in not the best mood when i left to go hunt, i seen nothing that evening but it was so special of hunt cuz of that little bird. I will never forget as he landed on the arrow slowly bouncing like a tree branch, he just stayed there for at least half hr or it seemed.It was nothing short a remarkable experience, i left that evening in much better mood. That bird seemed to simplify things me just a tad, the way they should be
Bull

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Nice story, warmed up my heart.
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Well, at least we all have shown that nobody can really give a blanket definition of what tradional is.  Again, the term is misused and taken out of context more than any other that I know of.  So I suspect eventually it will be meaningless to bring to a discussion.  You see, with all the thought process put into this, we still haven't figured out that we didn't use this term (traditional archery) until after the compound bow was invented and being used on a regular basis.  That tells me exactly what traditional archery is.

Now as to what is "traditional hunting",  I would say that would vary according to region and history.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
I dont really like this threads question as I think about it.

The site is about traditional BOW hunting. By taking "bow" of of it you end up with a lot of personal opinions in the form of definitions on a subject that is potentially divisive.
"Traditional hunting" is  generic term and we are probably best served by not creating a definition for it.

Im all for talking about what you as an individual enjoy or want out of hunting.
But theres no need to start manufacturing new classifications.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
time well spent

Offline Catahoula

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Thank you broketooth for clearing my mind.

Rand
Rand

Offline 152 Sumo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Excellent thread! The more I read, the more I enjoyed this. For me, traditional is more about what it ISN'T than what it IS. It isn't using every bit of technology available to make your time in the woods shorter and easier. I am glad that most people participating here agree on ethics and taking a couple steps back from technology. I am not interested in using feeders, range finders, scent block technology, etc.  I am not interested in trophys. I AM interested in being ethical and respectful. I AM interested in going hunting and learning from my experience in the woods. If I am not successful all the time, so what. If I learn something, or experience something unique, while in the woods, I will be happy.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
According to the dictionary the word tradition comes from the Latin traditio-to hand down. Based on this definition then, traditional is anything that's handed down, be it compound, longbow, recurve, firearm, every Thanksgiving morning, every New Years day, opening day, last day.  In it's true meaning it's not necessarily
weapon type, method type, ethics type, or anything else, just what's handed down.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©