3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Nock Jig Pictures????  (Read 782 times)

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
String Nock Jig Pictures????
« on: March 16, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of string nock jigs that they have made? How they work as far as adjustments for various limb thicknesses or widths and how they attatch. Also, dimentions of any such jigs. I have a heck of a time keeping them straight freehand. Thanks, Steve

Offline BillyMarkwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Nock Jig Pictures????
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »
Warden,.......I don't know if I'm understanding the question or not....but...if you are talking about setting the nock on the string to see where it is in relation to 90 degrees above your rest...then a bow square is what I use...you can pick one up at any archery supply store for a few dollars....if now....I don't know what a string nock jig is....sorry...

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:07:00 AM »
Bill, I believe he is refering to cutting the string groves into an unfinished bow. Brokenwing

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
I tiller on the long string with a groove cut across the back of a the bow. When it is time to go to the short string I use the same back groove for initial stringing, mark the string position and cut the final string nocks.

If you look close you can see a stringing groove cut next to the string groove. Rather than struggle with the first stringing of what is probably a very high poundage bow at this point, I use an extra long tillering string, put one loop over the bow string in the bottom string nock and the other in the stringing groove, and use like a normal bow stringer, piece of cake to get the bow strung for the first time. I file off the stringing groove during the final nock shaping.

I shape the final string nocks to a graceful, flowing shape just before I add finish to the bow.

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Yes John, I am talking about a jig that would go over the end of an unfinished limb end. The jig would have to be adjustable for various limb widths and thicknesses. Once you got it set, the grooves would be pre-cut into it at the correct angle and depth.  Then all you would do is put your file in the preset slots and file down to the preset angle and depth of the jig, Steve

Offline RDB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
http://www.brackenburybows.com/Filing_Nock_Guide2.jpg   Here is one from the Brackenbury sawdust page.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
Pretty neat RDB. I don't have anything that nice but I use one of those sliding angle tools you can pick up at any hardware store. It's basically a handle with a slotted piece of metal that you adjust to copy a angle. I sit the handle on a bow back limb I liked the string angle of and adjusted it so that when it sits on the back of the limb and then etched a line on the metal part  so I can repeat that angle. After I get a good horizontal line where they go I simply slide the tool to meet the horizontal line and then pencil mark the angled line on the side of the limb. Do both sides of the limb then repeat on the other limb. Then I file to the line. Works for me.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Jig?...File?...I must be doing it wrong, I use a dremel and a carbide bit, takes me about a minute per tip and they turn out great.
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
boy thats pretty slick Eric!  Hopefully I can remember that for next winter lol.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Hey Eric,

Would the same technique work on a glass bow? I'm just building my first one, and it's a Weeeeee bit different than doing a self bow.

Also.....how do you guys calculate your string length, and how much stretch am i going to get out of a 16 strand B-50 Flemish twist?

Pardon me if these seem like silly questions guys  :o  but a guy has gotta start somewhere...  :help:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
PS......Eric ...you got it going on my man:thumbsup: .....nice illustration on string nock grooves. takes the uessing right out of it!    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
b50 never stops.  Initial stretch is dependant on how well the string is made.   Eventually it'll settle down however it'll never stop creeping.  Unstring the bow and it will bounce back like a rubber band.   That is however I have a tendancy to leave my bows strung for awhile, the one's I'm shooting on a regular basis.  the rest are unstrung hanging on the wall.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©