3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For love of the game 2009... Utah, Here we came.. (Pg. 6)  (Read 3327 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For love of the game 2009... Utah, Here we came.. (Pg. 6)
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
We made it back safe and sound this morning about 9:00am   :bigsmyl:  

I can't begin to tell you all what a great time I had and what a great bunch of guys I got to hunt and share camp with.

Todd and Gauge really showed us a great time and I am already missing the mountains and my friends. It's going to be wierd not falling a sleep to Ben's snoring tonight  :biglaugh:  

My computer is not working right so I will try and get some picks posted tomorrow from the lap top. Hang in there guys we have alot of picks for you to see and some great storys to tell.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2009, 04:04:00 AM »
Ben is back, so I ‘m going to go ahead and share the Bear experience.

August 23, 2009

The early morning rain hitting the rain fly on the canvas roof was the alarm clock this morning, and the fresh scent of wet Aspin was as welcome as the perculating aroma of the more then darkened Folgers.

The night before, I had taken Tracy and Ben on a little ride across the mountain to show them around and give their mind and body a chance to acclimate to the altitude. The ride was a wonderful treat as I got to know Ben a little better and caught up with Tracy as well. During the ride, I decided I was going to take Ben to a favorite hole of mine that has been a great producer of elk.

As Ben and I left camp, we couldn’t help but noticed the increased spry in the animals as well. The deer were out in full force this morning. As we declined the mountain top that camp was located on, and entered the heavily oak brush covered bottom, doe, fawn, and buck all seemed to relish the wet grass as much as my pant leg was relishing the steaming coffee that couldn’t help but escape the spill proof lid of my “Kum & Go” 32 oz insulated mug.

The Jeep’s inline six sang its solitary tune and the BF All Terrains cracking and popping on the wet gravel was its band. Ben and I were mostly quiet during the ride as we took in the fresh air and fresher scenery.  As we turned off on the two track that led to the spot we were going to hunt, Ben spotted a way nice 25 or 26 in 4x3 buck that was with a smaller buck and a few doe. I pulled down the road aways and decided to try my luck at a small stalk back up the road in hopes this buck’s IQ was a few points less then his rack measurement. A long story short, it wasn’t.

After many deer later, we finally reached our destination point.

The wind was good in our favor as we started our walk. We hadn’t walked more then a quarter of a mile from the jeep before I caught small movement ahead in a clump of Oak on the edge of an Aspin stand. A quick inspection through my optics revealed (in an exciting whisper) “Elk”… Ben’s eyes widened at the short but sweet word. I set Ben ahead of me and gave a few small chirps. They answered back a couple of times, but weren’t interested in joining our mock party.

We decided that we should try stalking closer and Ben took the lead. It was a pleasure watching him in his primal state of mind. Smooth, quiet and slow, we eased ahead. Unfortunately, the elk some how gave us the slip and we decided to let them be as they weren’t spooked at all. We continued on.

We got to the edge of the canyon we wanted to hunt and I chirped a few more times to no avail. I have hunted here too long to not know there weren’t elk in that canyon somewhere. Working my binos too the max, I eventually spotted a few in the bottom making their way up the canyon. Once again, the stars weren’t aligned quite right and the good wind we started with was now preventing us from any hopes of a successful stalk. We decided to let them be as well and try again later when we might have the “right” wind.

We started circling back to the jeep to try our luck else were and leave what we had here alone.

We made our way to the two track that would lead us right back to the Jeep. Once again, Ben spotted another buck in a small stand of Aspin, but it was too late as he was jumpy to begin with and he decided to get out of the country.

As we left that stand of Aspin, the road straightened and led to another. As we were about to enter the next stand, we heard a loud crash behind us and too our right coming from a lone Oak thicket on top of a knoll. I was in front, Gauge followed, Ben was in tow. Consequently, he was the first to yell “Bear”!!!!

I took a few steps toward Ben to survey the situation. As I did, I noticed a very large and very dark chocolate bear locked on to Ben and coming at him with every ounce of strength he had……

His fat rolled under his shiny coat as ripples roll on a perfectly still lake after the intrusion of an unwelcome thrown rock.

I yelled, “Knock an arrow and get ready for a fight, Ben!!!” Then I started yelling at the bear as I tried to follow my own advice. The bear started from about 250 yards out and was now approaching the 100 yard mark. I finally got an arrow ready and Ben was waving his bow back in forth above his head.

“HEY BEAR!!! HEY BEAR!!!! GET OUT OF HERE YOU (insert cuss words)!!!!!!” But he still kept coming. Ben was waving, Gauge was hackled up, and I tried one more time before it was an inevitable fight.

“HEY YOU (insert cuss words”)!!!!!! GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!” At this point it was more of a plea then an order.

When the bear was no more then 35 or 40 yards away, he stopped in his tracks, gave us that beady eye, head swaying look, turned around and retreated back the way he came. THANK GOD!!!! The whole episode lasted probably 15 seconds at most..

We both wanted our hearts to beat that fast that morning, but not under those circumstances.

I will say, Ben handled him self like a seasoned bear fighter and stood his ground and showed his salt for sure.

I asked him why he didn't bother to get any pictures... He said, "Same reason you didn't! I think we both had a pretty good excuse!"

I did tell him that since I was the last in line, and the bear had to get through him and Gauge before he got me, that if the bear DID get him, I would have been a good freind and would have made sure to put him down. What are friends for?

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Great Story and Photos Todd thanks. Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
yeah, Ben's skinny enough, you coulda got him to the truck without field dressin'....  :D
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
I've heard that Ben comes equipped with his own bear repellent spray. It can make even the angriest beast eyes water.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Quote from Ben Saye...

"Anyone can make people feel a little uncomfortable by farting in a closed car with the heater running, but the real trick is to make people's eye's water while in the open air"

"Today was a classic example of open-air farting".
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
That is a great story and good recovery!!

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Chris that saying was uttered more than once during the hunt. Ben is a class act for sure, but that man can clear the meadow!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Good story,  but WE WANT MORE!!  This is taking entirely too long.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Now guys that week was only a flute.I normaly only pass gas once a year!I want to say though Todd was the most gracious host I've ever experienced. His father Les should be and is very proud of him. From the first minute of the hunt he treated us as if he had known us all his life in typical Tradgang fashion.He is one heck of a cook too!His elk steak spaghetti was outstanding!Now Tom,Chris and Tracy on with the show!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Here's my first day bull called into 5yds. I had a blast watching him feed away and calling him back time after time.

He had a beautiful hide and a unique rack with his inner eye guards pointing downward and his outers pointing strait upward. At one point he was standing on the other side of the spruce tree I was hiding in and I could hear him breathing. Hows that for close?

He gave me plenty of good shots thats for sure. With only a spike tag in my pocket I was injoying the show and couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next.

You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
What a beautiful country we live in!!

Love this pick : )

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Great pictures Tracy.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Todd's a great shot and a heck of a camp cook.

Chris,Grinning all the time even while shooting

I wouldn't want to walk in front of Tom if I was a elk or mule deer.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I'll echo Ben's statements.  Les and Todd are awesome and deserve a huge thank you.

Here is the story of my last night in stand.  Remember I only have a cow elk or spike elk tag in my pocket.

I was sitting on a north facing ridge of a small bowl with a meadow in the middle.  I had used a tree stand to hunt this spot for several days during my stay.  It was 7:45pm and I figured it was now or never so I gave the reed call another slow drawn out excited cow call. 45 seconds later the two bulls, a 5x6 and a 5x4 enter the meadow above me.  The 5x6 proceeds to punish a small set of aspen trees. I’m guessing that he realized his location was in full view of the location he heard the cow calls coming from just seconds earlier.  He was showing off in an effort to impress a lone cow. The 5x4 continues down a trail that my tree stand was set over just last night and goes down to the wallow.  I called several more times but tonight the other bulls and cows are not coming to this meadow.

The previous night I was sitting out in the meadow as I heard multiple elk as they mewed, chirped, and even estrus whined before they thundered down the dark timber that I am sitting in tonight. But changing the stand location didn’t give me a chance at them on this night as they must have stayed somewhere else.
I am left to listen and watch two bulls I would have shot in a heartbeat if I would have only had the tag. They continue to practice for the upcoming rut. After the 5x6 left to go down to the wallow he started to give some nervous grunts in an attempt to get the cow he has heard to come out into the meadow with him.  I continue to call in a desperate attempt to pull any cows in the area to my stand. It’s the last night and I was really hoping a miracle would happen and I would get a chance to punch my tag.   Finally the 5x6 is tired of this cow that won't come out to the open and reward his thrashing and wallowing with her presence by his side. He moves up out of the meadow back to his original position as if to give her one more look. I lose track of him for a short period of time.  It is now almost completely dark and suddenly I see him above me.  Within seconds he is in full gallop coming down the hill effortlessly bounding over down trees. He skids to a stop 10 yards from my stand in the darkness.  Slowly after about a minute he turns to leave as if to say "the hell with you"!

Given the fact that this 5x6 was running around acting like a stud and we were told that their was a 7x8 seen on this same mountain, I'm sure the rut in Utah is a sight to behold.

I never got a shot opportunity at an elk, but this image will stick in my mind for a long time.  

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Awesome!    :clapper:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
Do you guys see the size of that sage bush!!!??? Holy cow....

Great pictures.

I would just like to say that it was my absolute honor to have you fine fellows around. Can't wait until you can make it back.

Chris, I feel bad a cow never came by bud. Great footage.

Can't wait until the rest...

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
More pictures...

Tracy talking...it comes easy for him LOL

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
What a problem to have...bulls that are "too big"...that's awesome video Chris!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©