3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For love of the game 2009... Utah, Here we came.. (Pg. 6)  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For love of the game 2009... Utah, Here we came.. (Pg. 6)
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Great job! Good boy Gauge! All dogs go to heaven.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
 Will Rogers
Got wood? - Tom

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Charlie,

It's good to see you this morning... Scratch that, It's great. I can't express in words what it means to me to have you join us on this hunt, even though you are only gracing us with your presence in text on this simple thread. Trust me friend, you were talked about much and thought about often, and all we can say is, we can't wait for you to join us next year...

That water hole (and many others) isn't going anywhere and niether are the elk.

Get well soon my friend....

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tom Leemans:
Great job! Good boy Gauge! All dogs go to heaven.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
 Will Rogers
Tom,

Amen to that and thanks for posting.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Charlie, it sure seems like you were right there with them. They are dragging this thread out in pure Lamb fashion  :rolleyes:  Hope you are feeling better.

Now let's get on with it guys.   :campfire:    :coffee:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay guys but Photobucket and my computer are not talking. So I’m struggling with photos. I’m not sure what is going on, posting photos has never been a problem in the past.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Hunting by Association

Unbeknownst to me at the time, the groundwork for a future elk hunt was being laid-out for the past few years by Trad Gang members Tracy Potter, (K.S.Trapper) and Todd Thayn (Just_A_Hunter) and by association their plans would be putting another traditional hunt in my future. This is the tale of that hunt and the friendships that have come from the quest.

Back in the early part of this year, March I believe, my buddy, Chris Kinslow, invited me on another western adventure, this time in the state with red rock pillars, arches and deep sage brush lined canyons….Utah!

By association, I was fortunate enough to be a member of another great traditional archery camp. The host of our camp would be Todd Thayn a Utah native. Having never met before, Todd, with true Trad Gang hospitality, opened his camp and his family’s treasured hunting ground to me and a handful of other TG members with the faith that we would not betray the trust that he has bestowed upon us. With that in mind, this tale will not name any mountain ranges, peaks, valleys, creeks or landmarks so that I can guard the trust of a new friend.

Heading West

Finally the day had arrived! Friday, Friday, Friday! 12:30 and the black F250 was sitting in the Kinslow drive as Chris’ gear was being loaded. By 2:00 we see the smiling faces of Ben Saye (ksbowman) and Tracy Potter (K.S.Trapper) at the 3rd Lawrence, Kansas exit where we connected to the heavily packed trailer to begin our journey. By 3:00 o’clock after some unplanned wiring problems, we were off! Ben had the problem solved and we were on I70 heading west! The total trip time was expected to fall within the 14 hour time frame. So, with the hum of the tires and the purr of the seven liter diesel engine in the background, Ben entertained us with the crazy stories only and iron worker can have, Tracy enticed us with stories relayed to him by Todd and we all talked with excitement of the hunt that we were about to experience while we chased the sun as it fell towards the western horizon.

By 05:00 on Saturday we found ourselves in a small town in Utah and only an hour or so from our final destination. The morning sun lit our way up the mountain as the truck climbed the narrow dusting gravel road carrying us closer to the spot that would be our home for the next seven days. As we ascended through the low desert Oak Brush, I was in ah of the terrain and astounded at the quantity of animals we were seeing. With every turn in the road another Mule Deer was spotted!  Does and fawns are everywhere! Having a Mule Deer tag in my pack, I was excited at what I was seeing. Where there are does, there have to be bucks….right?! With our faces gawking out the windows, the crew cab truck climbed the twisting mountain road with Tracy at the helm. Eventually the main gravel mountain road was left for the rough, rutted, dirt camp road. Ahead of us lies the place that we will call home in the Utah Mountains. Our camp, located above the Oak Brush desert and nestled under the green leaf Aspen tree canopy, was to consist of Todd Thayn, Charlie Lamb, Chris Kinslow, Tracy Potter, Ben Saye, Ryan Stedman and me. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond his control, Charlie could not make it. We missed you Charlie and thought about you often.

Upon arrival we were promptly greeted by Todd’s family and where made to feel welcome from the beginning. Todd, the hunter that he is, was out in the bush with his trusty sidekick Gage so meeting them would come later. Within a few hours camp was setup and the hunt was on!

Getting to know the Mountain

By 10:00 or 11:00 Saturday morning I was trekking to the north and Chris was headed west. The map that I held showed several lakes to the north and my goal was to scout as many of these lakes as possible, looking for Elk and Mule Deer activity. The southwesterly wind, blowing at 10+ mph, was not in my favor as I made my way into the bush but if the wind direction remained the same, the hunt back towards camp would put the wind in my face at a time when the animals are the most active.

Aview back towards camp

The sky was clear and the day was warm, hot for the animals, with the temps in the mid to high 80’s or low 90’s. Passing over a ridge that put the camp a quarter of a mile away, I felt like I was finally hunting! My surroundings consisted of open rolling grasslands intermixed with sage and pockets of waist and head-high brush. The low lying parts of the draws that lead up the mountain were nestled in a mix of Quaking Aspens, Spruce and Ponderosa Pines.

Within the first half mile I had positioned myself on the south face of a hillside to glass a semi open field and within 10 minutes of sitting there I heard a stick snap behind me. I eased my head around to the east (right) to see a coyote about fifteen yards behind me trotting for cover in the Aspen tree line. Dang-it! I forgot to ask if coyotes were legal. Continuing south and a half hour later I again cross paths with another coyote. This time 10 to 15 yards to my northeast sleeping under a bush! The dog gets my wind and bolts for cover, looking over its shoulder as it runs trying to get a look at me. Ha ha…I love seeing coyotes!

I still hunted my way along the edge of the draws remaining in the shadows as much as possible repeating theses steps: move a few feet, stop, look, listen, glass, look, listen and move again. The progress was slow but I was seeing a lot of animals. Mule deer does and fawns were everywhere and their tolerance of my close proximity to them was incredible.

The ground that I was exploring fell within the 8500’ to 9000’ elevation range and the ponds that I setout to investigate turned out mostly to be dried depressions in the landscape. Occasionally, one of the ponds would show traces of water, more like a bog then a pond, but no sign of elk or deer activity.

At round 9500’ I encountered a rail fence, one of many that I came across on this trip that stretched for miles like a zipper over the mountainous terrain.

Before crossing this particular fence I had to make my way through a thick stand of willows and the thought of aggressive bears kept entering my mind with every push through the dense vegetation. Todd had warned us several times before this hunt that the black bears in this area can be aggressive.  A great relieve came over me after exiting the willows and emerging into the open meadow on the other side. To my delight I encountered this on the eastern side of the willow patch…

Elk sigh! What a great sight to see!

As I stood at the rail fence I could hear, coming from my east, the familiar clang of a near by bell mare. Horses…hmmmm Last year I remember the elk seem to be attracted to the sounds of the horses as they plodded along on the mountain trails. I began to wonder if that scenario would hold true in this part of our nation.

Parting from the fence and hugging an Aspen tree-line, I shadowed the horses as they grazed 50 yards away to my south. As I slipped along the edge of the trees I was suddenly startled (actually I had the crap scared out of me) when I heard a loud crash and the sound of pounding earth approaching quickly from behind me. The first thing that entered my mind was “OH CRAP BEAR!”  The crash came from the wood fence, the sound of two large pieces of wood being smashed together and the pounding earth was definitely something running in my direction and closing the gap extremely fast! Quickly, I did a left spin and positioned myself 15’ or so into the trees and began nocking an arrow, when suddenly, a bay colored horse emerged onto the trail south of my position. “Good Grief!” I thought to myself “I sure don’t need anymore excitement like that!” With weak knees and shaking hands I opted to leave the commotion of the horses and start hunting my way back to camp.

By this time it was around 5:00 and at the pace I had been moving it would take me three hours to make it back to camp. Turning in to the wind I began still hunting my way back down the mountain through the Aspen grove draws, continuing to seek out the water features shown on the map. Like the morning and early afternoon hunt, Mule Deer does and fawns could be seen often as I descended. Around 6:30 I entered an island of Aspen trees that had a well worn path through it and to the west was a small water hole. As I looked to the water hole I noticed splashing coming from the center of the pond. “Hmmm…there must be fish stuck in the shallows of the pond” I thought to myself. “I’ll ease down there and check it out.”  As I started to walk down to the water I caught movement of a large tan body moving in the Aspens above the water hole. “Elk!” the voice in my head screams and I dropped to the ground like a rag doll. Dang-it! I got careless and walked out into the opening of the small meadow that lead to the water hole without checking the surrounding trees.

So there I set pinned down in the waist high grass 50 – 60 yards away from the biggest elk I have ever encountered. A huge 6 x 6! I watched him for about five minutes as he grazed from the low hanging branches of the Aspen trees that grew from his elevated throne over looking the small meadow that I had stumbled into. Luckily, his head was turned at the time I spotted him and the wind was in my favor. Casually the bull sauntered to the west allowing me a chance to crawl into the tree line of the Aspen Island. I positioned myself behind a large trunk as the big bull laid down overlooking the water hole and meadow. With my back to the bull I presented him with a few cow calls, intending to get the bull to move closer to me so that I could experience a bull of his size up close and maybe get a few pictures. But no luck…he wasn’t ready to be social and the cow calls only made him disappear over the horizon of his outlook. Sorry no good pictures.

View from the bull's bed

My hunt for the first day ended around 8:00 with no other encounters. Returning back to camp I was greeted and met for the first time my host and new friend Todd. That evening was spent around the campfire eating and telling tales a great beginning to a weeks worth of Utah hunting.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Todd the pleasure was all mine buddy  :D  and I can't wait to do it again.

Excellent start Tom  :thumbsup:  Just like being there all over again.

Charlie, I'm so glad you are feeling better and we will get your truck back to you soon even if I have to drive it over to you.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
EXELLENT START!!!

Todd

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Way to go buddy! Nice to finally have you along.

We all have talked about this previously but I can't help but reiterate how the friendships made through Trad Gang have affected my life.  I've spent the better part of the last two years shooting at targets with Tom and chasing animals here in Missouri and out west.  Tracy and Ben will be life long friends that are welcome in my camp any day.

Todd and his family are amazing and they exemplify Trad Gang as they welcome virtual strangers into their lives and trust them to care for their hunting grounds like we would our own.  Thanks you guys again for giving me an adventure that I will reflect upon when I am an old man and remember fondly.
Continue on Tom!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
Tom, Great start to the week of blissful hunting we all experienced. I see you see you still have the articulate story telling you're known for with superb pictures!Charley I look forward to meeting you someday I was sure wanting it to be on this hunt.I'll sprinkle in some pics along the way ,but with the tales the rest of you kick in I pale in comparison.I've never shared a camp with a better group of men!   Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Chorus of the Hounds

Wakeup call, like most mornings, was 5:30 that Sunday. A much needed rest was had through the night after 32 hours of staying wake for our epic dash to and hunt in Utah. By first light we were in the field and again this day I would be hunting alone. The feeling of heading into the mountains alone brings a sense of satisfaction and excitement. Whatever happens, good or bad, success or defeat would ride on my shoulders and the adventure in the field will only make me a better hunter.

The early morning hours, before sunrise, brought the erratic tapping at the rain-fly of my tent telling me that a light rain was falling. By wakeup call the rain had dwindled to a light drizzle. This, I thought to myself, will be good. The moisture will help silence the dry vegetation under foot.

With raingear on, I once again follow the compass needle north, beginning my route in the same direction as the day before. When I reached the half mile mark from camp I positioned myself on the highest knoll in the area and began to glass the mountain slopes to the north and northwest. The towering peak of the mountain was then cloaked in a veil of low, slow moving, gray clouds that brought the rains of the early morning.

To my delight I spied elk! Cows I think. They were approximately two miles out, grazing in the open meadows at the edge of tree line next to a slip rock chute. “Dang” I think to myself “that’s two miles as the crow flies, easily a 1.5 to 2 hour fast paced trek from where I stood. To add to the dilemma, the wind was coming from the east and the elk were at an elevation of 10K – 11K. I elected to be content with watching the four elk until they disappeared into the timber and then planned out a route that would take me into that area later in the day. As I stood on the knoll with the cool breeze parting its way around me, I and all who were listening were serenaded by the baying hounds that had been turned loose south of our camp down in the Oak Brush. Their excitement could be felt as their eager cries reverberated through the mountains. I resumed my hunt, still hunting northward through an Aspen shrouded drainages that would eventually take me to the ridge leading to the peak that held the grazing elk.

To Shoot or not to Shoot

The morning was filled with numerous Mule Deer sightings. Again does and fawns suddenly appeared, stood broadside and pogo themselves away from me in countless areas of the hunt but no bucks were seen. The sign posts of the bull elk stood everywhere I ventured on that morning hunt but no sightings.

For lunch I situated myself at the end point of a long north / south ridge just below the crest of the ridge so not to skyline my form. There I ate, glassed the wide open mountain meadow and added entries to my journal with the company of four does and a fawn down the ridge to my northwest.

The 9200’ lunch time ridge had put me at the northern most region of the draw that cradled all the ponds shown on the map. It was time to start heading east and leave the ponds, that only had signs of cattle activity around them, behind and make my way to a draw that would take me to higher elevations.

Around 2:00 I found myself faced with a dilemma. A buck and a doe mule deer had been startle from their beds by the swirling south / southeasterly winds that had announces my arrival and made the pair spring from their new growth aspen sanctuary and hurdle the east west rail fence that lay to my north. The 3 x 3 short tined, 1.5 year old buck made a short sprint to the south and then stopped and stood broadside to me at 30 – 35 yards. With an arrow nocked I stood facing the young buck wrestling with the question, shoot or don’t shoot? Doubt entered my mind as I looked at the small vital area and the distance my arrow would have to cover to make a quick kill. I contemplated…if the end of the week was close I would gladly shoot this buck, but on my first full day, I just couldn’t do it. He just wasn’t the buck for me. Un-nocking my arrow and walking away I turned a few times to look back at the buck that I had past up with a nagging voice in my head saying “are you sure you want to do this?” With hesitation I continued my upward trek to the west.

The Long Hike Home

A few hours later, around 5:00, I came to a wall in the terrain. At 10400’ I was looking at a ridge that forced me to go down the mountain on a well traveled trail that hugged the terrain features of the steep northeasterly facing ridge. Down the mountain trail I loped, where I eventually came to a pretty little clear pond and on the north end of the pond was what I had been looking for…BINGO! a murky watered wallow!

“Hot dog!” I thought to myself, this is what I have been looking for. I quickly surveyed the area and decide on a place that would work for an ambush. There was only one place where I could conceal myself and have a reasonable shot opportunity but it would require a southwest wind to make it work. I went to the spot, 35 yards east of the wallow and cleared the ground and some vegetation to make a ground blind, took a few practice shots and got out of the area. The wind for that night was not right for sitting the wallow. So leaving was my best option for the night.

View from the wallow towards the ground blind

Distance form the ground blind to the wallow

View from the blind to the wallow

Following the contours of the mountain, I made my way south until I eventually stumbled onto the main mountain road and followed it for a mile or so back down to camp. In camp I met up with Todd and had some one on one time talking to and getting to know my host. That night’s dinner, made by Todd, was BBQ elk, Texas feral pork and a concoction of beans, meat and cheese…. oooh yeah beans just want Ben needs.

Hey Tracy how do you know when Ben is awake?    :biglaugh:

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Well told story, thanks for taking the time and effort to make it fun for all of us!

Looking forward to how this ends!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
that little buck doesn't know how lucky he is....  :eek:    :readit:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Great stuff Tom. Thanks so much for taking us along.   :campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
:campfire:    :archer:    :clapper:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Ahhh Screw the Wind

My night’s sleep are restless, the air mattress that I brought has a leak in it somewhere and by 01:00 or 02:00 I find myself lying on the hard lumpy ground. Ha ha. In the predawn hours we all gather in Tracy’s cook tent for a quick hot meal prepared in the glow of the Colman lantern. Scrambled eggs and bacon wrapped in a flour tortilla shell and Pepsi for my caffeine buzz did it for me. Oh and I can’t forget the four Ibuprofen’s that was needed to kick-start my muscles.

This day, Monday, Chris and I spent hunting the same areas together. The plan was to hunt the lower area below camp through the oak brush in the AM for Mule Deer and a salt lick that Tracy discovered higher on the mountain in the PM. It was good to be hunting with my hunting partner and friend again. Maybe one of these days we will actually get to see one another harvest an animal.

By 06:30 or 07:00 Chris and I found ourselves wishing each other luck and parting ways. Chris’s intended path took him in a southwesterly heading while mine at that moment would take me directly into the southeasterly wind.

The terrain in the oak brush flats is made up of rocky soil, short to calf high grass, knee to waist high brush and waist high to 12’ tall oak brush. The leaf of the oak brush reminds me of the leaves on a white oak tree but smaller and a lot of the plants hold cluster of small acorns at the tips of their branches. The challenge of this area is to scan far ahead to catch the deer moving through the brush without them see us. The problem I was having was moving quietly through the dried leaves that lay on the bare soil and being able to see far enough ahead through the oak brush to see the deer move. For the deer, seeing long distances through the brush was easy. Ha ha… They have created a brows line about 4 or 4.5’ above the ground which allowed them to cruise through the area and pick off our movement long before we ever saw them.

The best technique that I found for hunting the flats was to slowly move five yards, kneel, glass my surroundings, remain in that spot for 10 minutes and then advance another five yards. A very slow hunting style that was a little hard on the knees, with all the squatting and kneeling but effective for seeing deer. The only problem was no bucks. Hmm the buck from yesterday was starting to look good. Ha ha.

Watching the feather that hangs from the upper limb of my bow, I learn that the wind is not helping my hunt any. The once southeasterly current changed to southwest, north, northeast, south, northwest… you get the picture all I was doing was duck walking in circles. Finally I said screw the wind I’m going to explore.

Eventually I ended up .125 mile north of where I started over looking a dry creek bed that had a pool of water that may have equated to about 100 gallons. Sighs around the pool showed that this was a hot spot for the deer to quench their thirst. So I cleared a spot out on the hillside overlooking the pool and set with my back against a large boulder and knee high brush in front of me to breakup my form, and there I set until 11:30. The only action I saw was guy putting by on an ATV but he never saw me. Ha – apparently a Derby hat doesn’t stand out that bad.

Men Building Forts and the Addicted Doe

With the morning hunt being a bust, Chris and I return to camp ready to converge on Tracy and ask him to show us where the salt lick that he found is located. The word from Tracy is the salt lick is located directly off a trail connecting to an emergency forest cabin, and the lick has hundreds of deer prints surrounding it. When a guy like Tracy, who has been trapping for many years, tells me that he has found a hot spot I tend to listen to what he has to say.

After a quick bite to eat, Tracy graciously escorts us up to the salt lick. Our route takes us a half mile or less past the point where I had emerged from the forest and onto the road the night before. From the start the lick looks like a hot spot! As we walk towards the little pocketed opening that covets the salt lick we spy three does browsing around the area. Yep, Tracy is right the deer seem to be using this area a lot. After a quick tour Tracy wishes us luck and leaves us to our hunt.

The best time to hunt a place is when it is first found and we were hoping that we had hit this spot at the right time. The time was somewhere around 2:00 o’clock. First order of business was to figure out where we were going to setup. Chris gave me first pick. Hmmm was I going to perch myself up high or on the ground? Guard the salt lick or setup on the one of the arteries leading to the heart of the action.

I pick a natural ground blind east of the salt lick and north of a well worn trail leading to the salty treat. Chris, setup as the sentry southeast of the lick. With saws and pruners in hand we carved out ambush hideouts. I was thrilled with my setup! With a tree seat strapped to the shadow shrouded trunk of a large spruce tree I felt invisible! After a few snips and tucks and with the ground cleared under foot I was set. Bring on the deer.

The trail that I was to watch over was to my south about 15 yards and I felt confident that this was a killing spot. Confidence in ones setup is all it takes to keep a hunter pinned in a particular location and I had that! Dang I wish I had taken some pictures! Minutes later Chris was set up and ready to take care of business from his nest. At 4:00 we wished each other luck and I depart to my hide that lies 50 or so yard east, but out of site, of Chris.

At 6:30, after sitting in the shade for the past two hours, I find myself shivering from the steady wind the passes through my thin polyester shirt and dummy me, didn’t bring and insulation layer. About that time the first doe appears. The minor trembling from the cold suddenly turned to borderline convulsions at the mere sight of the deer passing by. Ha ha. Five minutes later another doe appears from the east. An hour passed and finally another deer emerges, again from the east. None of the deer had a clue I was in the area and only once did a doe catch Chris’ wind.

As far a stealthiness, the night was a complete success but no bucks showed themselves. When meeting back up with Chris, I found out that all the tracks around the salt lick weren’t made by a bunch of deer the tracks were made by a single doe with an addiction to salt.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
just_a_hunter,

Congratulations and great job!

I had the same thing happen with a mule deer doe last year.  While the arrow was in mid-flight the deer swapped ends and it went in and out diagonally.  I think I got an artery and she expired in less than 30 seconds.

That's why I build my arrows for maximum penetration, because you never know whats going to happen when the arrow leaves your bow.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
ahem!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Hmmm… I seem to be carrying this thread now. What happen to the rest of you guys?    :saywhat:

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
just you, Tommy Boy...good thing you've got broad shoulders...  :bigsmyl:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©