3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For love of the game 2009... Utah, Here we came.. (Pg. 6)  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: For love of the game 2009... Utah, Here we came.. (Pg. 6)
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Got a text message from my brother this morning:

"Red mountains of Utah on the horizon...feels great."

If they end up having any cell coverage at all, I will try to keep things updated!
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
^^^
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Haven't heard from Tracy yet    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Just heard from Tracy. No animals on the ground yet. If they had big bull tags however, it would be a different story. Them guys from the midwest are awful nice to wait for me to start shootin animals, aren't they! Headed up Wed. Can't get here quick enough.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2009, 06:18:00 AM »
Good luck buddy, them boys sure are seeing a bunch of game!!  Tracy said all the elk are "too big to shoot"....they need them to be spikes or cows    :scared:  

The critters will be falling soon    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
Tracy also said that there's gonna be some awesome pic and stories when everyone gets home    :campfire:    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
:jumper:
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Awesome stuff and great pics!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Now that's  a hunt I can only dream about! Good Luck Folks!

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 04:00:00 AM »
It's 2:00am in the mornin' and I know I should be asleep, but the dream of the hunt is giving me thoughts I can't help but to re-think...

I just walked through the door. What a great group of guy's, and yes, we will have great stories to tell...

The ice was broken today... Plenty more on that later.

I know one thing, I miss my friends already.

I can't wait to tell the story of the bear that tested Mr. Bens's, myself, and Gauge's salt for sure....

Good night all. See you in the morning.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Ok, its morning now....we need details!   :coffee:    :)
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
y'off work yet, Todd.....  :knothead:  

:campfire:
Woodrow F. Call

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Man!! If I didn't know better, I'd think I was writing this one.
  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
It's my morning right now. Typing in progress...

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Todd - the edge of my seat is getting pretty uncomfortable!!!  :campfire:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
Here we came…..

I’m going to wait for the others to get back and settled and to share there experiences. I will say Ben and I did have a very hair raising experience that left us checking our britches for extra baggage..

Forgive me for not getting into details about the fellas yet. I do know they are having a great time and a couple of close calls.

Plenty more about the group to come. I will share my experiences though.

8/20 and 8/21/2009

The crew wasn’t going to arrive until Saturday morning. These two days I spent hunting with my wonderful father. The two days however were great. Slow but great.

We did find a water hole we had walked past several times but never noticed before, and Dad hung a trail cam on it Friday afternoon.

Here are a few recovery pics..

Lot's of these type pictures... Nobody in our crew has an anybull tag, dang it.

We also seen lot's of bear sign.. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Tracks over our 15 minute old tracks.

(WE INTERUPT THIS MESSAGE FOR AN UPDATE....the phone just wrang and my Dad gave un update of the fellas. One of the guy's made a kill today.. BACK TO STORY)

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Let’s skip a head to yesterday now…

8/26/2009

This was my last day I had to deer hunt. I sent the guy’s on their way and went to the same spot I took this buck last year.

The night before, it had rained pretty well, making the stalking great.

Slowly and methodically, Gauge and I made our rounds with a great wind in our face. After an hour of heavy searching through the early morning shadows, I spotted two yearling bucks foraging on the sweet bitter brush that deer love so much.

I watched for an hour or so as the two bucks went about their business un-aware of Gauge and I’s presents and malice intentions.

After a while the spike went about his way, leaving the 2x2 on his own. It’s a funny thing how the predator and prey circle of life works. I thought heavily if a mountain lion has ever watched me this way, with the same intentions and all. I know a bear has and so does Ben. But like I say, we’ll get into that later…..

After a few minutes, the nice yearling buck made his way to a clump of oak brush and bedded down is such a perfect spot for a stalk that made my heart beat a little faster. The conditions were so perfect. Nice wet ground and a moderate breeze right in my face.

I signed Gauge to lay and stay, put arrow to string, checked the sharpness of the Zwickey Delta and began the couple hundred yard stalk.

Before I knew it, I was 50 yards from the buck. I looked back to check on Gauge and he was following me. He knew he was supposed to stay, but he can’t help but be apart of everything I do. He was hanging back about 30 yards from me, but making no noise. I thought he couldn’t hurt anything and as long as he stayed back, that would be good enough. Besides that, I had bigger fish (or back strap) to fry.

I don’t remember sneaking those last few yards, but before I knew it, I was well within distance. I talked myself through the shot before it happened. I could see all but the bucks eyes. His ears were at attention in my direction, but he continued to chew his cud. He was broadside.

I whistled softy to stand the buck, and when he stood, I drew my bow. I hit anchor and sent the arrow….

At the sound of the shot, the deer swapped ends….. I made a perfect shot. I was shooting at the left side of the deer, but hit him on his right side, right square in the hind quarters…. I was sick enough to puke…

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »
It was a long hour’s wait with sickening thought running through my head. I made a great shot, but Mr. Kinslow will later testify the ability of these mule deer to jump string like white tail.

No excuses or reason can make up for the feeling you get though when your arrow disappears in a horrible location on an animal. I spent an hour wishing you could take arrows back once they are sent, but as we all know, we can’t.

It was 16 paces from me to the buck. I knew I was going to need Gauge to track this buck and as silly as it sounds, I set next to him and told him that if there was ever a time he was going to need to show up to work, it was now. I scratched his ears and after an hour I put him on the trail. His nose showed the way and it wasn’t long before he was looking at me to show me he was doing his job and doing it well…

The blood sign was very encouraging for the shot location. About 30 yards from first blood found, Gauge found this.

Then this….

Then this..

At this point, I felt confident I hit the artery. What good luck…

Todd

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
Gauge kept working the trail, and about 70 yards from where it all began, Gauge stopped, threw his nose in the air, and looked at me, several times over…

I searched the Oak clump heavily with my binos. Pretty close to me, I spotted something that looked like an eye. While I pondered what I was looking at, the deer blinked confirming my suspicions.

I quietly knocked another arrow, and peaked an eyeball out to survey what type of shot I had.

The buck was slightly up hill. I could see nothing but butt and head and the slightest patch of body. I knew if I could hit that patch of body, the arrow would find its way to the vitals.

At no more then six yards. I concentrated hard on the one spot that would end this deer’s sufferings and sent another arrow. The deer tried to stand, but being week from loss of blood and now the fact he had another broadhead in his heart, he couldn’t. It was over in seconds….

I first walked to the deer and removed the arrow in him, then un-tied Gauge from his leash and gave Gauge 10 minutes to do with the deer what he wanted as a reward. As he circled the deer licking his eyes, nose, wound and ears, I sat back a few yards and thanked God for the blessings before my eyes. Gauge and the deer and in that order. What a good friend I have in Gauge.

Todd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©