3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Predator Fall Gray or Deception Brown  (Read 870 times)

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
Predator Fall Gray or Deception Brown
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
I'm looking for some advise on whether to get Predator Fall Gray or Deception Brown.  It will be used for everything from early turkey hunting to late fall treestand hunting.  Does the Deception Brown have as much light tone as fall gray?  Is there too much white in Fall grey for hunting on the ground?  Thanks.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Predator Fall Gray or Deception Brown
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I have no experience with the DB but the Fall Grey has less tendency to turn to "dark blob" at a distance compared to most camo patterns. Predator is a superior camo pattern but the dirty little secret is "Camo ain't very important."

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Either would work.  I use the DB because we have alot of oaks and they are generally more of a brown color
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
I'd get a set of both.  I wouldn't want to hunt the spring woods with my fall gray, but in the winter hardwoods, it has no comparison.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
I had a set of the fall gray. I didn't like it at all. I could not move with it without being spotted. I wore it in the snow and it was just fine. But, the fall brown that my wife and I wear works very well.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I like the Deception, my buck this year looked up right up at me , paused, kept walking closer and I put an arrow thru him at 10 yards! Shot my spring Turkey last spring from about 11 paces, on the groung with no blind! I had 3 gobblers coming right to me, then shot the biggest one, 24# and a 12" beard! Thats what sold me, if you can fool a turkey you got it made!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
I think either pattern works good on the ground. But I think that the fall grey would be better in the treestand, especialy if there is not a lot of cover in the trees. m2c

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I use to wear fall brown all the time until they discontinued it. Now I wear fall gray in the trees and use ASAT whenever I am on the ground. If you are thinking spring turkey and early fall I would look at the spring green, that pattern is dynomite!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Gray Wolf Woolens has FG, FB and Deception in Wolfskin. Tough choice but I prefer FB.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Any other opinions on this?  I'm looking at Predator's fleece with the windblocker lining and trying to decide which pattern.  I'd prefer the fall gray because I do alot of treestand hunting, but I am planning a western hunt within two years also.  Any western hunters have an issue with FG, or would you prefer the deception?  I know that camo is overrated but I prefer to get one set of stuff and use it until its wore out.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
I wouldn't use the gray in the spring but it will do more to break up your outline than the DB and that is the goal with camo, not so much to try to blend as to break up the human form.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
I've wore both whitetail and elk hunting.  They work great from the plains to the mountains for me.  You can't go wrong with either.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
The Fall grey works great to break-up outline as mentioned above.......
It would be my choice between the 2 options mentioned as a better all-around camo...JMO
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Tree man, I always wondered if that "dirty little secret" was true. I'm much more worried about the wind. Being muted and cat like should do it.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
i say get paints in one pattern and jacket in the other camo is far more effective if broken up in different patterns. imo

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I prefer the discontinued Fall Brown over the Deception. When I found out Fall Brown was being discontinued, I bought ten pairs of shirts, pants, hats so I'm all set for the rest of my bowhunting life.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
I can't find coveralls in Predator any longer. The folks in LaCrosse aren't making this model any longer. My buddy disappeared in the Colorado elk woods wearing the green, spring pattern.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Fall Gray or Brown for treestand.  Especially later in the fall when the leaves have started to get a bit thin.

Then again......I've worn plaid and blue jeans in a stand in late fall with the same results....guess there will always be a debate in this area.  To camo or not to camo.

I do believe that Fall Gray (and brown) is a great pattern for treestand hunters.  I don't think I would ever use it on the ground.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
I live out west and hunt using the Brown Deception and Spring Green colors.  I do a lot of mix and matching of the two.  For turkeys I hunt with deception pants and spring green shirt.  For big timber I hunt in the deception in brown.  For lush green area - most of my hunting - and spring, early fall hunting it is all spring green.  Both patterns disappear and I have had hunting buddies struggle to keep an eye on me when working ridges together.  Both patterns blend into the environment really well.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline VA Robinhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Brown Deception in the fleece is great stuff.  I bought the pants, jacket and vest last year and found it to be great.  You will not get cold wearing this, and is very good for stopping the wind also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©