3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Southeastern Traditional Championship Memories!  (Read 2003 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Southeastern Traditional Championship Memories!
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Spring is around the corner and I always catch myself thinking of years ago in the late 80's and 90's of the Southeastern Traditional Championships in Elberton, Ga at the Hood family farm. We were all blessed to meet great traditional bowhunters and familys from Fl,NC,SC,AL,Tn,TX,MS and of coarse GA. One of my fond memories is watching ole Dan Quillian holding court at the practice range. Most Traditional shoots today if they know it or not were patterned from this shoot. John Hood was first to bring in the "hunting" foam shot. He perfected the Jerry Hill running shots ( that didn't break).The first guy I ever met was a guy named Wayne..he stuck his big paw out after swapping his Biggie tea to other hand and said "Howdy".........Anybody else out there have any fond memories of this by gone shoot? I'd love to hear them
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Southeastern Traditional Championship Memories!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
I loved to shoot the running skunk!!! I think..:)I remember instintive archer magazine shoot stories...think I saw ur mug in there Joey.. :)   :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Unfortunately I never made it to that shoot Joey.  Wish I would have.   :(
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
I attended the shoot the last 4 years it was held at the Hood property.  It was a great shoot.  I saw a lot of people that were on the various forums.  Surprise, surprise, I never attended the shoot with the same bow two years in a row!  :)

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
I remember you kicking b**t with the recurves JoeB! I think it was a Scherinsky or something like that right? I loved that shoot and all the fine people that were there!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
The 1st year we had about 20 trad guys and 4 compounders. Man did it take off after that.

How long ago was it? I have footage of Joey and Greg Campbell in a shootoff for 1st place in the recurve division. The camera was the one where you put the whole VHS tape inside!

Talk about some great shooters! We had 'em!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
It was the first shoot I ever went to that had vendors. Bows everywhere!!!All I had ever shot were the two bows I owned and I was like a Kid at Christmas.I met A lot of folks those couple of days.Met Shuster there as well. I had more hair than him then too..don`t remember the scores but I probably beat Biggie....RC

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Do ya'll remember Jean Marie! he was the  little frenchman that set up his Medieval Bow display then took a nap ON his card table during mid day. Talk about a low pressure sellsman.

Spanky..i ain't what i once was but Biggie still is!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
The Georgia State shoot is this weekend.
John

Offline texophilite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
That sounds like a great shoot. I was a member of the Tomo Chi Chi bowman a few years back. At that time we did not refer to ourselves as traditional. Everyone seemed to shoot about the same type of equiptment,  L
LTH

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I never made it to that one, but I shot with John Hood the year he won the Howard Hill World Championship in Wilsonville, AL. John shot a 90# Quillian Longhunter, and the only wood he found that was strong enough was ramin hardware store dowels. I was able to supply him with Superceders when we got in production.

A few years later, John and DD Quillian (Dan's son) and I shot together at the first North Carolina State Traditional shoot. That was in about '98, as well as my feeble brain can remember. A NC shooter took first, John took second, and DD took third, beating me on the last target! Naturally, they only gave trophies for the first three. I was there representing Longbows & Recurves Magazine, selling subscriptions.

That was soon after Dan had his foot cut off, and he attended the shoot in shorts and his artificial leg. Dan was not shy!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Dang Joey! You remeber Jean-Marie. Oh thats right . You had a crush on him down at the Paradise when he stood on the table and brushed his hair!!!! I still talk to Jean as he lives in Greenville SC now. He is a blast for sure. My favorite memory of the SE was shooting and trying to keep my concetration with that big old gobbler strutting and gobbling on top of the house. For sure one of the most pictuesque range we have ever shot. Get ready cause rumor has it , it will return next year although at a different location.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
I was wondering what happened Jean-Marie Beaugouis, Last time I saw him he was making and selling "Excaliber Medevil Arrows". I thought maybe he went back to Coursica..We took a bow making class together back in 1994 with Tom Stanley and JJ Guidry. I Never made it to the Elberton shoots but Tom Stanley always talked about it and how much fun they were.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Don, ol DD knocked me out of the top spot 3 years in a row! He was a competitive rascal!

Let's see....if DD beat me 3 years running, and I finished 2nd all three years, I don't think ol RC made the cut....but I will say this, he's learned well  :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Jeffro..forgot about the Hoods pet gobbler!!!!!! I was shooting with Monty Browning down the trail 1 the first time he heard it. He dropped his bow arm and looked around at me and I asked "you think you can get us permission to hunt here..This place is full of gobblers!"......Jean Marie is only guy I knew that can shoot a bow heavier than himself.

Offline Douglas DuRant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
It was one of the great shoots. I have many fond memories of it. I loved the up and down hill shots. Who can forget the buck chasing the doe and you had to shoot both before they stopped. The charging boar and the running pig in the ditch were fun as was the flying turkey. That gobbler sure did love to sound off!

I got to shoot with Keith Banes and Monty Browning at the shoot. I remember when Ron Weatherman shot a perfect score on a championship round. I can’t begin to list all the fine people I meet at that shoot. Everyone wanted their name on the rock. What a great idea that was.

I didn't start shooting there until about 93, but I shoot every one they had after that to number 15 the last one. I wish they still had it, but I understand how much work and time it took. I want to give a big “THANK YOU” to the Hood family for hosting us all those years.

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Great memories!   Watching Mudcat Fogal getting frustrated so he'd keep going back and repay so he could shoot again.   I don't think he ever did win the thing did he?   Met Danny Williams, RIP,  there, with whom I shared many hunts and who became like family to me.   Had a blast when Joebuck and I designed a bunch of TBG shirts and sold them off a card table about fifteen years ago.   Learned a lot watching ole Ron Weatherman come in from shooting and just keep shooting thousands of arrows with perfect form.    Made too many friends there to keep up with.   I hope someday Joel Smith can resurrect this shoot and get it back to the status it once enjoyed.

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention how enjoyable it is watching Durante shoot too.   There aren't enough ooos in smooth to describe the way he shoots a selfbow.   Plus you could always count on Monty Browning to show up with an exploding arrow, a take-down arrow, a two-pound arrow or some such.  His fertile mind never quits working.    I miss all the folks I don't see anymore.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Glad this post has been brought up! My friend get tired of hearing me talk about the South Eastern Championship. We had lots of fun their and it was a beautiful place to shoot! I met many fine archers their that really knew how to shoot well. Learned alot from those fellas who had their name on the "Rock" We used to leave North Carolina and pray we would get our names imortilized on the Famous "Rock"

The Hoods are great friends of ours that I don't get to see nearly enough. I went to every shoot from 1998 until it ended. Ole Dan Quillian was always on site and a joy to talk with. I always liked Dan Q. after seeing him at the Georgia Buckerama back in the 1980s

I will try and post a few pics from the last few time we attended if I can find them.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Doug .. is that you the Bee Keeper?  Man ole man you were a blast to be around. No one had more fun than you. You had a quiver made out of a german shepard hide or something didn't you? Schuster, no one could sell shirts like we could. I never told you this but i had to dip into the t-shirt pile 3 times because I got hot dog mustard on the shirt of the moment. Ron Weatherman!!! class act all the way around. Tons of fun folks from FL. that supported that shoot for years. Only shoot i know, your gaurrentee to loan out a set of booster cables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©