3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Southeastern Traditional Championship Memories!  (Read 2006 times)

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Southeastern Traditional Championship Memories!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
The Folks who made it happen. Mr. and Mrs. Hood

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Two of my archery heros! Bob Jones and Dan Quillian

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Finally got good enough to win the last year the shoot was held. Left Shawn, John, and Eddie Francisco

Bottom John and Parnell Oliver. Parnell was one of the best archers I've seen.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
My good friend Doug Carlisle and I at the Hoods place

Offline Douglas DuRant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
John Dill those pictures make me feel kind of homesick! Sort of wish I had taken more pictures of everyone.

Joebuck, it was a fox, and i wish I didn't let someone talk me into selling it. The Hoods almost ran out of space on the rock because your name was on it so many times!

Matt thanks for the compliment. I always enjoyed your company, and whenever I see your name under a story title it brings a smile to my face. I'm sorry to hear about Danny I liked him too! I guess he is hunting with Dan Quillian now.

In 91 I drove to Athens because I wanted to go back to the bows I started with and missed when the compound hooked me for a number of years. I came away with one of Dan’s used bamboo longhunters, and never regretted it. Thanks Dan for helping to keep the spirit of the bow alive, and all you did for bowhunting in the South.

The Hoods put on a great shoot in a great bit of woods. Like Matt I miss all the fine folks that gathered there.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Anybody else?

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I still miss this shoot. I can relate to telling guys about this shoot that never got to go. I was looking at some of the pictures I have a few months ago. Great memories. Really enjoyed those moving targets. That was one of the things that set it apart from other events.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Bob Jones has his name on the "Senior" rock a few times.  Mr. Jones is still making bows.  Now in addition to T/D bows he's building Hill style LBs and one piece recurves.  All of them are mighty fine shooters.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Bob Jones has been a great friend of ours for many years! I really like shooting with Bob. He's one heck of a shot too!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Interesting side note here.......John Hood won the "first" really big shoot in the south 1990ish,what was before ASA now but called "wayne Pearson's shoot in Valdosta Ga. John won the Traditional class with his long bow. All the targets were 30-40 yards long wide open with lawn mower kind of cut look. Totally NOT a hunting shot.. So he went home and created the Southeastern Championships at "Traditional " hunting yardage ..25 yards and in.. most were close bushy type shots where the BOWHUNTER had to kneal or stretch or something!...No one in the south or country was setting up a shoot like John did. For the most part Traditional Archery Shoots hadn't taken off but it was fixin to explode. Most Trad guys didn't go to compound shoots because they were tired of the waiting or went and waited!!!.. McKenzie just came out with their targets. John borrowed the money and bought the best.. Jerry Hill at the same time had been putting on a successful moving , flying , running, and crazy tournamnet for several years in Wilsonville Al. No doubt he influenced John on his shots but John's targets didn't break!!.........if you liked punching foam...those were great times in early 90's... The Hoods provided a great place for us to find our Trad brothers....
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
gosh those pics bring back fond memories!  That gobbler they had was a hoot!  

Anyone remember going down the road for seafood??

I loved the shots in the rocks John had every year. Made lots of great friends there and will always think of "MR HOOD" whittling those unreal arrow points out of wood.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Remember all the chicken quarters that got grilled at that shoot!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
We would take over the Waffle house in the mornings in Elberton. My buddy Mudcat would order "Fresh" orange juice every year and the waitress would pry open a can of Donald Duck right in front of him after she shook it about 20 times. He would come unglued and miss the first three targets just me laughing about it. I shot with a rough crew though...Hiters, Daulers and Snells...they were my buddys.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
I remember my first time going to the shoot and when we got to the two deer you shoot at one pass. I was thinking oh *&#!. Missed them both but it was fun. Then I watched a guy in the group behind us with a pair of overalls on and a big chew in his mouth proceed to hit both targets. Don't recall his name.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I was at the Southeastern the last 5 or 6 years. Probably my all time favorite shoot each year. The ranges were the best I've ever shot. The running wolf that was shot with a long bungee cord, the running buck and doe, the goats in the rocks with cedar splinters all around and don't forget the ticks!  More seed ticks than should be allowed anywhere. Too bad there wasn't room for camping on the grounds but a waterfront campsite over looking the lake at the state park wasn't too bad.
  The last time I saw Dan there was after he lost his leg. Didn't slow him down too much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
I have a bunch of pictures here somewhere......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Looking at some of my old pictures and a few of the people on them. One of them is a group picture of winners. Some of the faces I recognize are DD Quillian, Linda Graham, Doug Durant, Kieth Bain, and a lot of others. There was a couple of guys that came from Conneticut one year I was there.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Since we are all around the campfire     :campfire:     what happened why arent they still doing this ...I have made a few 3D shoots in other places ...the one thing that kills shoots is not having enough volenteers, people that will donate there time getting things ready to make a Shoot , happen...for over 13 years,I think we have had some great shoots in Baton Rouge...but I loved reading and talking to Keith Baine , Rick Welch , and others about some of these shoots...my son was 10 when we started he is Sr. in high school and still talks about it, and how me and my buddy had so much fun...     :pray:          :goldtooth:     God Bless....the good things guys!!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Douglas DuRant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Two Hatchet, I emailed you about that picture you have. I sure would love to have a copy, and I hope the email gets to you. I don't have many pictures and after so many years of going there you would of thought I would have.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Biggie

Get those pics posted!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©