3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Experimenting with arrow weight  (Read 293 times)

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Experimenting with arrow weight
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
I had some arrows laying around and decided to try a few different things. I footed the arrow shaft with a two inch piece of aluminum arrow. I then added a two inch screw to the back of the standard insert and ended up with 225 grains total with a 125 grain tip. I then used contact paper for an arrow wrap and fletched them with three five inch feathers. I then added a piece of rope for weight and ended up with a 600 grain arrow. All the things that I did were ideas I had read about on here and then I just used stuff I had laying around here. I have a few questions though. I did this with a light arrow (Vapor2000). Could I shoot this arrow out of my 55# longbow without damage? I have been shooting them and they fly really well but will they hold up if I was shooting them into something other than a foam target? Each carbon shaft is spined for a certain draw weight but can you exceed that without trouble? Thanks..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Experimenting with arrow weight
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Most bow builders want 8gpp and above. At 55# that would be 440grn , at 600 you are just shy of 11gpp (10.9), nothing wrong with that at all.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Thanks pops. Anybody have an opinion on my question about exceeding the reccomended draw weight on carbon?
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
You can go as heavy as you want.  It's the real light arrows that can cause damage too the bow.

How does your combo shoot?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
It shoots real good. I just have a friend of mine who was saying that I would be taking them past there breaking point, so they would just break if they came in contact with bone or something hard when shot.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
No problems exceeding the weight recommendation on it.  I think they are only on there for compound shooters to determine what shaft they need.  The spine is the only information that is useful to us.  I wish carbons came marked with the deflection instead of these other numbers (ie...150, 2000, etc...)

Mike

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
I agree mooseman, but it was in the back of my mind wondering if I was going to have trouble with these. Thanks for all your advice I can always count on everybody on here..

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
yep you should be fine if they are shooting good for you. I have some beman mfx .500 full length with 505 gr up front that shoot great out of my 55# longbow . Shoot what flies best and don't worry about it. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©