3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: G5 Montecs on Quartering Shots - Opinions???  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
G5 Montecs on Quartering Shots - Opinions???
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Has anyone had experience using G5 Montecs?? I have heard that some had bad experiences using them on quartering away shots, they had a tendancy to want to glance more that dig in, because they did not have a long narrow point like the woodsmans and snuffers.  

Anyone had similar experiences??

I have some sharpened up for hogs and was wondering if that was a good idea?

Thanks
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: G5 Montecs on Quartering Shots - Opinions???
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
My friend has used the Montec's and killed 3 or 4 deer with them and all were pass throughs and short blood trails. All those killed with a Treadway longbow I think. I don't know if any were quartering away shots but I bet there was one or two like that. I am going to use the 125 gr Montec this season. He has not had any problems or lost deer using them. He also uses Wensel Woodmans too and likes them too.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
Two years ago I shot a big bou on a quartering shot.  Arrow went in behind front leg and was stuck in the rib cage at the very front on the other side.  No problems.

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »

Montec

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
L82HUNT

That is a Great Bull!!!!
Please don't take this the wrong way, but that looks like a quartering shot and your penetration does not look that good.  

Can you elaborate about the shot??

Thanks
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
i have shot 3 deer with montecs and only one was not a pass throught it was a strait down shot that hit back bone, rib, and leg. I love them.

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
Actually it was a complete pass thru, came out tight to opposite shoulder.  The arrow in the photo was one used for the reflective purposes in the dark when we came back to start the cleaning.

Only pic I have in the woods, after it was all said and done I wish the arrow was not there.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Ahhh I see, that makes sense and is actually a good idea for finding the bull in the dark.

Thanks alot
TGMM

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
my buddy shoots them, there ok but they dont seem to get "scary" sharp. i was told its because the are forged. anyhow thats just my observations, i would go with a snuffer..

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Yeah I had a bad experience with the 125 grain montec.  I shot a small doe quartering away at 15 yards with a 59# Black widow and a 580 grain arrow and got NO penetration.  I tracked the deer for a mile and lost the blood, in my heart I hope the deer survived.  I went out and bought 2 blade magnus.  Had the exact same shot with the exact same setup a week later and the arrow didnt blink going through it.  I would admit if I made a bad shot, but the arrow went right where I was looking and I could not believe it didnt blow through the deer.  This was my first shot at an animal with trad gear and was so upset that I almost gave it up...but I'm glad I didnt now.  The broadhead is the only thing I have changed and any deer I killed since have been easy pass throughs.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
brill

Wow man, that very strange.  Do you think it could have glanced on a rib instead of diggin in, or????  

Any thoughts on why there was no penetration??
TGMM

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
brill

Every shots different. I bet it was a bone hit. Montecs probably were not the cause of the bad experience. Shot placement.

I've had good results with them. I usually only shoot broadside shots if possible no matter the broadhead choice.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
One thing I have learned is that we seldom have the hit we think we do.  

The critters move with unbelieveable speed.  I once shot a WT buck and thought "Oh Oh" I hit the hips.  It ran in a tight circle around me and crashed into a pine.  I had hit it behind the front shouler mid ribs and the arrow was stuck 3" in the mud.

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Given shot angles and bone,rib, hits, almost any broadhead has the potential to be deflected to a greater or lesser degree. In practice, broadheads rarely deflect unless the shot hits bone and is at a very shallow angle. Not something worth fretting over in the selection of a broadhead IMO> This said, longer- narrow heads do decrease the chances of deflection, and if you find one that is to your liking (flies well for you, takes a good edge etc.) longer and narrow is a better way to go.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
My opinion? Avoid quartering shots.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
I'm with Biggster! A quartering angle severe enough to deflect the arrow is not a good choice to begin with.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
I believe most broadheads made today will do the job, if shot placement is good, and shot selection is good.
It seems we are looking for a broadhead that will turn a poor hit into a good one, not going to happen! There are some that may help on a marginal shot, but for the most part, it comes down to placement and selection.
If you like the Montec use it, I have a buddy who shoots expandables out of a recurve, they are the type that slide back to open, works great for him, he has killed alot of big deer with them. He also picks his shots very carefully.
Did I mention shot selection is critical?
I still think it is hard to find a bad broadhead now days.

Andy

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
What's a Montec G5?  Sounds like a moon crater.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
My opinion? Avoid quartering shots.
I agree if you are talking quartering towards but I believe quartering away is an excellent shot. But that is not the topic being discussed here.

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I have been shooting the Montec and other G5 heads since 2001.  I had one Montec that I shot seven animals with before I lost it.  Whitetail Deer, Caribou, Black Bear, and Wild Turkey comprised the species with the balance leaning toward WT Deeer.  Since 2001 I have taken many quartering shots with the Montec without negative results.  No head is perfect and things happen in the woods with all of them, but I have yet to have a negative experience with the Montec. I don't shy away form the quartering away shot with it.

I shot one doe with it at 12 yards quartering away and it broke one rib cleanly and kincked the next one forward on entry.  The head continued into the opposite side of the ribs, breaking one more as it passed through into the off shoulder breaking.  She went scant yards and piled up.  That was the hardest angle I have taken with it and it did the job cleanly.  I have that on video, but not sure if I can load it up.  I'll tinker around and see what I can do.

It is a great head...if one looks around there are knock off designs from it everywhere.  Give them a try...there is a new Montec CS (carbon steel) out now too.  

George - Montec is a derivative from the Monoflow Technology used to manufacture the head.

They can be sharpened to a "scary" sharp too.

Good hunting.
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©