3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: G5 Montecs on Quartering Shots - Opinions???  (Read 1050 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: G5 Montecs on Quartering Shots - Opinions???
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Jesse....it is what's being discussed here; angled shots and glancing blows.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
George he is asking about G5 heads and what they do on a quartering shot not whether you think someone should take a quartering shot or the ethics of that.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I shot a doe last year slightly quartering, went right through her.  She was sneezing at the time of release too, so she distracted herself.  She had no clue she had been shot.. Walked 3 yards and dropped.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
Mr Sorrells, that is some great info, thanks for taking the time to share that.  I would love to see that vidio, sounds awesome!!!

Matty - were you using a Montec G5?
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Jesse, if you avoid the quartering shots it doesn't matter about the G5's does it?
Besides, you spell your name wrong.

The compounders in Africa when we went shot G5's and had problems with ANY angle.

No test report needed......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
I spell my name wrong???

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
:confused:  

Biggie - could you please expound on your visit to Africa, and the problems the compounders had.  Were their arrows too light and had poor penetration, was it poor shot placement, or did the broadhead not preform that well????

Thanks
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Jessie....just kidding  :-)

I think it was all of the above Jake. It's kind of an unfair hypothesis I guess, but those guys didn't do the G5 people any favors.  Even the PH's didn't like the results they were getting.

The African trackers can find anything that's bleeding and some stuff that isn't. They had looooooong bloodtrails everyday on a 10 days hunt and lost some animals.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Thanks Biggie!

Sure are some differing opinions here about these heads, what is funny is that they range in the extremes, either extremely poor review or extremely good.

Not sure what to think...

Anyone else??????

Jake
TGMM

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Over & Under -

There are a pile of African game pictures on the G5 website...so I will let that speak for itself.  Even Eland, the largest antelope, and further members of the big five.  I can't comment on the above African experience, except that after the first long track or two, I think I would be finding out the cause.  IF...it was the broadhead then I would have changed it or stopped hunting.  

Like I said previously, if it wasn't such a tremendously good design and effective head there would not be the designs copied from it.  

Good hunting,
Charles
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
Charles

I agree, had my experience had been the same and I started haveing long undue tracking jobs, I would have started looking for the issue and fixed it in short order, I have a hard time believeing it was even the mojority of the G5's fault, unless they were dull as hell, and again that is not the G5's fault

Take care
Jake
TGMM

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »
I've put G-5's in 3 caribou, 2 of mine and one wounded by another guy.  The only one without a hole in both sides had the broadhead stuck in the heavy rib/brisket stuff at the front of the ribcage.  Heavy quartering shot.  

57# longbow.  Arrow about 520 grains.  Speed about 170fps.  I don't know why a compound guy would have so much trouble.  I sharpen mine very well.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »
How do these broadheads compare to 125 grain SS Snuffers?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
up
TGMM

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Up again. Any comparisons between the SS Snuffer and Montec G5? Thanks.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
Well Jake it sounds to me like you asked a question but really didn't want an answer.  You've recieved a bunch of input good and bad.  Make your decision and go from there.

The cut to the point 3 blades G5, Snuffers and WW are good heads.  They will not penetrate with the heavy 2 blade single bevels and quartered away shots require penetration.  My number one on any shot is will I get an exit wound.

My opinion is that on a quartered shot you will not get an exit 50+% of the time and as a result, have difficulty recovering your game.

Same BH on a broadside equals 90+% exit and better recovery.

I'm with Biggie, not the shot you want too take with a G5 or any BH.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Just wondering but what are you shooting and what animals are you shooting at that you would only get passthroughs 50% or less of the time. I get passthroughs about 99% of the time even on quartering shots and even on elk. No African game or hogs though(yet). Just wondering not wanting to start an argument. Thanks.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I was using the Montec G5 when I shot my deer. From my 55# Pronghorn.  I do know about 2 or 3 guys in the past couple of years who had good shots on elk and didnt get good penetration using them (G5's)...AND YES THEY WERE COMPOUND SHOOTERS 2 of them were never recovered

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
There is no boubt that everything does not go right in the woods all of the time.  What percentages and such are those? I don't have those calculations, but I do know that I have shot a number of North American big game animals with a Montec 125 or 140 with quartering way shots and not lost any of them nor had a scant blood trail.  We are talking ethical quartering away shots that pick up the back of one lung or the liver and the front of the other lung.    They do a good job on these shots.  If you shoot one further back that that it is not a head problem.

I have never been to Africa, but would like to, and would not hesitate to shoot a Montec there.  I am not sure what country it is in, but the number one Lion and host of other anilmals were just reported being taken by a hunter using the same Montec for several of the same animals.  I am sure G5 will be posting those pictures soon.

It has been about five to ten years since I read the "Double Helix" by Don Thomas, but I think I remember advice being given to take the quartering away shot by him in that book, because the vitals on African game sits so far forward.  Campared to our NA game a hit that looks good on African game may in fact be behind the vitals and a poor hit; so the quartering shot recommended.

The compound issues...I can't speak for these for instances, other than that I have not seen these results in the mixed camps I have been in and compunds throw in a whole other ball game with light non penetrating arrows and speed that is an obvious failure for all to see.

I have read Ashby's and others on the single bevel, two blade, heavy head school of thought and see the merit there.  I will say though, that that that type of head is not the only answer.

The Montec is a good head and it will provide and lethal wound channel on a quarting away shot shot consistently leading you to game in the freezer.

Like Jesse said, not arguing a point...just providing facts from my personal experiences with a Montec as O&U asked.

Have good night all...I am flying up to roost.
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Well Jake it sounds to me like you asked a question but really didn't want an answer.  You've recieved a bunch of input good and bad.  Make your decision and go from there.

Mike

Not trying to argue, but I am not sure how you came to that conclusion, or why you believe that maybe a little more info on the subject may help me and perhaps others make the same decision. Who says I have to make a decision right now anyway????

I am glad this thread stayed this long so that you could add your insight on the matter, it was certainly helpful in making my decision.

You are correct that quartering shots require penetration, which is what my question was all about.  Most of the replies have not been specific why or why not the Montec would preform good or bad on a quarting shot.  In fact I think you are the first to address it that specificlly.......maybe I will keep the thread up for a bit longer   :D  

I was always taught a quartering shot was a good shot, sometimes better than broadside. I have also read that hogs don't seem to bleed much, so I thought a 3 blade would help that, but I have never shot a hog, so not knowing, I thought a thread like this might help.

Jake
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©