3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Return hunt in Australia!  (Read 714 times)

Offline rory

• Trad Bowhunter
Return hunt in Australia!
« on: March 17, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
Hi all,

I have been very slack for the last while and havn't been keeping up with all that happens on Tradgang. I've also dabbled in the 'dark side' lately which seems to be a constant battle   :knothead:      :D  

Anyways, Andy 'tradtusker' has been 'down-under' for the last few months and we have become good friends. He dropped in a while back and we were succesful in taking a young billy goat for meat, and a couple of rabbits.

I was pumped when Andy called and said he was comming back through my area and was keen for a follow up hunt.

So we've spent this evening shooting our recurves, swapping broadheads, and fletching up over a few beers ready for the hunt tomorrow.

We both like a 3x5" high shield cut fletch, looks especially tops on the skinny Easton Axis shafts hey!        

An Aussie head that I think is right up there with the best 2 blade heads (Dr Ashby loved em   ;)   ) is the 'Blackstump' range of broadheads. with my recurve I love the 125 grain 'Bushmaster' which with adapter gives a 150 grian total head. Andy is now a convert, and they are the toughest head I've ever used.
They are a very hard metal, though once an edge is acheived it stays put. They get rediculously sharp. I personally like to use an Accu-Sharp on them..    

The Blackstump 'Bushmaster'  
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Return hunt in Australia!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
Rory,

You're bang on about the Black Stumps, tough as nails  ;)  

Picked up a few from Eagle Archery in Brisbane last time I was in your fantastic country

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
Glad you are engoying time with Andy, he's a funny guy,

Offline rory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Well, hunt day has come and gone...

We had a great time out whistling for foxes, though none felt a shaft go through them  :(  

I was able to show Andy how we do things round here (whistling wise) and he got to see/hear the 'Tenterfield' whistle in action (easily the loadest screetching call I've ever used   ;)  )

We saw 4 good sized dogs, nice and healthy. We had 2 come to the whistle at once, but we had moved out of position by the time they came  :mad:  

A couple of hero pics of us legends  ;)    :biglaugh:  

Cheers all!

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 03:22:00 AM »
The black stumps you guys are using look different from those I tried several years ago.
The ones I used were vented and a good head as far as steel quality went but I stoped buying them when it became hard to find them with ferrels that weren't out of round.
I'd be happy to use them again if the qualiy has gotten better than it was.
Do they have a web site??
Thanks.

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 04:35:00 AM »
the quality is far, far better now.
i think they are the best 125gr glue-on available in the world IMO.

Offline rory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 05:31:00 AM »
http://www.blackstumpbroadheads.com.au/    ;)  

They do a 100 grain 'Ironbark', a 115 grain 'Bushmaster' and a 125 grain 'Bushmaster'

Great broadheads, Brett (the maker) has got them going brilliantly, the toughest of the tough  :thumbsup:

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
yip thanks for the hunt Rory it was awesome!

goin to make a tenterfield as soon as i get the time! there are great can't wait to give it a go on jackals over in south africa!

absolutly love the blackstumps. Rory gave me a bunch to take away can't wait to put one through a big pig up north   :bigsmyl:  thank you agian for those.

keep well happy hunting

andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©