3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long for your first  (Read 2022 times)

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long for your first
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
I'M LIKE RON W. MAYBE WORSE CAUSE I MORTALLY HIT A BUCK TWO YEARS AGO BUT DID NOT RECOVER IT. RAIN WASHED OUT THE BLOOD TRAIL. HAVE TAKEN SQUIRREL AND RACCOONS. GONE HOGGGIN' THIS FALL, MAYBE WILL BREAK THE JINX. LOVE TO WATCH THE ARROW FLY.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
1st season with trad I took a bear and 2 deer!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline firecapt186

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
Killed a deer on my second hunt with trad gear. Missed one on my first hunt, the day before I killed.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2009, 05:34:00 AM »
Started around 9...didn't connect till 24.  :knothead:  

I shot at so many deer with that recurve it ain't funny.The same bow I shoot today.It lived in the closet for a little while till she came back out.

I CAN tell you with a certainty if there was a trad gang around then I'd have actually learned things the CORRECT way and shot alot more deer.  :archer:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
11 months. I am in my 5th year for a turkey though.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Still haven't gotten my first trad deer. It has been 4 years, but not due to lack of chances. ALL due to my mistakes.

-Charlie

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Whitetail 3 yrs
Turkey    5 yrs
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
5 years !
My first big game was a male roe deer (four points)

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
started  hunting trad when i was 16 and got my first 2 bucks when i was 29.  it was a long dry spell and well worth the wait.
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Reading all these tales make me think I need a new place to hunt where there is more game.I notice that alot of the really sucsessful hunters are not hunting in upstate N.Y. Down state yes, up state no.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Reading all these tales make me think I need a new place to hunt where there is more game.I notice that alot of the really sucsessful hunters are not hunting in upstate N.Y. Down state yes, up state no.
Tell me about it...the deer difference between washington county and Westchester county is unreal(Horns and population wise)...  :eek:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
2008 was my first year trad only, I took 2 bucks a 4pt in NH and a doe and my second best buck with a bow here in Vt a 8pt. Passed up over 20 bucks on Ohio, I was a little to picky.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wannabe1:
Been hunting since I was 14, now 40 and still waiting!    :biglaugh:  
Same here except I started when I was 16.   Only the last 4 years were with trad gear.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
First time deer hunting alone, I got a spike.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by vtmtnman:

Originally posted by ron w:
Tell me about it...the deer difference between washington county and Westchester county is unreal(Horns and population wise)...   :eek:  [/b]
I hunted Washington County in my teens and early twenties.  Took your typical basket rack sixes and four points.  Somewhere around 1999 I started hunting Westchester and saw bigger deer but still did not take anything of size.  Westchester started to really get hammered about the time I discovered it and now is a shell of it old self.  I now hunt my home county, a little in the Catskills, and some near Binghamton.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
It took me 3 seasons of tag soup to finaly connect on my first big game animal. A cow elk at approx. 12 yards, I was able to stalk up to her in her bed, she ran about 20 yards turned to face me and she fell before I could nock another arrow.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
With a rifle, it was my second year before I got a shot.  About age 14 ('77), a dink 3x3 at 125 yards with an iron-sighted 30-30.  Dropped him in his tracks.

With a bow, just my fourth hunt ('81) before a little 3x4 whitetail wandered by and I double lunged him.  I was 18 at the time.  That said, I'd been around hunting all my life and had rifle hunted before so I wasn't a complete rookie.

First traditional bow kill was Oct. 25 of '88, my first season with a Schafer Silvertip.  Passed up a number of them before a nice 4x5 obliged my Zwickey-tipped arrow.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline jcarter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
It was my first time out with trad gear and had been in the stand less than an hour before I took my a doe!
Black Widow PCH 47@28 in
Black Widow PLX 59#@28 in

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
My first with a compound was opening day of  archery season when I was 14 years old, made the statement "I don't see what is so hard about bowhunting?" Next bow killed deer was six years of hunting later and was my first deer killed with a traditional bow although back then it was just called a recurve.    :thumbsup:  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
It took me 2 years to kill my first buck with a compound.8 years later I was up to 7 more bucks.I switshed to a recurve for 5 years and killed 7 more bucks.
 I started building selfbows 18 years ago and have killed 33 bucks with my own bows.
  Thats not counting 35 bucks with a rifle and 14 with a muzzleloader.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©