3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So you bought a used boat and she's already named....  (Read 548 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
So you bought a used boat and she's already named....
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Kind of the same principle in buying a used bow that's been personalized by the bowyer, isn't it?  

I'll soon be receiving my first custom bow and I'm contemplating (really want to) getting it personalized.  

What are your thoughts on this?  Would you consider buying a used bow that was personalized for someone else?  Does this add or detract from the bow?

Thanks!

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So you bought a used boat and she's already named....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Bow's a bow... didn't make any difference to me who's name was on it.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
If it was just a hunting bow I got cheap I probably would not mind much.  If it was a real nice bow I had to pay a lot of money for yes I think it would bother me.  I used to have a really pretty old Hawkin muzzleloader but the dude I bought it from had a dragon ingraved in the metal it was not real noticeable but when somebody looked at it I always wanted to say the dragon was on it when I bought it.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Names are easily removed from a bow. Since it isn't to hard to remove it go ahead and have your name put on it, might help in keeping it from being stolen
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Of course if you reach the level of say Fred Bear I would be kicking my self for removing or painting over it.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
You're buying a bow and already worried about selling it? Something I'll never understand I guess.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
You buying this bow for you or the next guy?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
Jeff,
     I've removed so many names from customs built for others it's a non-issue for me when I'm looking at a used bow. Easy, easy to remove the name & touch up perfectly.  If I put a name on a bow, it's usually not my personal name but a name for the bow.

Offline Mourning Wood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I know that Black Widow sells a sticker to go over the name if it bothers someone so much.I figure you could leave it on there and if your at a 3-d shoot and not shooting well,you can say that it's not even your bow,just trying it out!!Seriously though, I've heard that sending it in to get redone and remove the name and put yours on it can cost at least$150.00 and upwards of $200.00.Good luck either way just adding a little easy fix on the sticker thing.ED
Jack of all trades,Expert at none!!

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
My friend has a girlfriend with another guys name in tatoo on her...body.  He says that it is hard to overlook it.  I will sugest he get a sticker to put over it too. Brant

The tat would bother me, the name, not so much.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
Brant, Hahaha.

Jeff, If you will check your Tradgang members handbook there is a rule in print on this very issue. Here is the text from that page.

Naming a bow is a sacred thing that can't be taken lightly or just handed out haphazardly. A perfect for you bow should earn it's name over time. Hold off on naming her. Just like your Dad told you about your high school girlfriend "When the right one comes along you will know". At that point it will be time to bestow a name.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I'm with Charlie on this you're buying this bow for you not the next guy.  Besides, what if you never want to sell it?

Offline Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
In the boating world, there is a naming and de-naming ceremony, and it's considered bad luck to ignore them. To de-name a boat without inviting disaster; you are supposed to gather your friends together and offer a little something to appease the sea. Then you paint the boat's old name on a rock, and throw it into the water. You can then safely remove the old name, and put on the new name. You then christen the boat with the new name, and an offering.

The same thing could be done with a bow, only instead of putting the name on a rock, you could put it on an arrow, and shoot it away into the woods. Offer up a little deer lure and a prayer, and your all set to re-name your bow.

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
I am currently waiting on my first custom bow and, I chose to have it personalized with my name on it. My plan is not to sell it but to one day hand it down to one of my sons. My thoughts are that I know he will enjoy having the bow with is Dad's name on it when it becomes his.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Naming a bow is a sacred thing that can't be taken lightly or just handed out haphazardly. A perfect for you bow should earn it's name over time. Hold off on naming her. Just like your Dad told you about your high school girlfriend "When the right one comes along you will know". At that point it will be time to bestow a name.

Thanks....... for the constructive replies...

Having never ordered a custom bow, I didn't know what typical protocol was.  If I didn't think I was getting one I'd keep (custom order), I wouldn't order it.  Hey I'm on my first wife (but neither of us is monogrammed with the other's name), I'm aware of the concept!

Thanks, again.  ;)

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
I have owned my share of bows. I have only one that I was proud to name. This bow hunted (successfully) eight species of big game, but the one that earned it its name was the 1500 lb buffalo. Thus I give you the now retired "BUFFALO BOW". Retired after it cast its last arrow through the lungs of a mule deer last season in 2008 never to be shot again. I will hang it in the "BOW SHOP" and give it due respect.
mike

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
Jeff,
Buying a bow with a name on it doesn't bother me. I also have a custom with my name on it. I don't think it hurts the value of it. To me it adds to the history of the bow. My favorite hunting bow was named by someone else.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©