3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail cam advice?  (Read 689 times)

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Trail cam advice?
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

Offline T Nichols

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail cam advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
homebrew !!!!!!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Dave....you're scaring me!    :saywhat:

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
I'll keep the fire going Dave 8^).

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Dave, I've had them all and I've settled on these little dudes. Great battery life. Very fast trigger speed and infrared operation. Easy to download photos. Easy to hide so no one can see them and take great picts. They will even take short videos.

Don't kid yourself. You will end up putting it on a trail.

http://www.covertscoutingcamera.com/
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Missing Impossible

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
X2 for homebrews!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
Dave a homebrew camera is one you gather the pieces for and make it yourself. Without a doubt they take the best quality photos because they have a high mega pixel digital camera inside but for what you want to do you're better off with the Covert II.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Dave here are a few photos off the little Covert.

www.zipperbows.com

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Dave,

I have built all of mine but have to agree with Kentucky on this one. For the cost of the Cover II I can't build one for that. I would get that one for sure. Great pictures, small, long battery life. Perfect setup.

Offline Lwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Last summer I bought the Moultrie Game Spy I60 for the very same reason. Infra red, shoots video and stills... been very pleased. So far it's captured all of our mountain neighbors including a lion.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Just for setting up, to catch what critters wander around my place and not spend alot of money, I bought a Moultrie D40 from basspro for $99 and a 2 GB card from office depot for another $15 bucks.

The trigger time is pretty slow and as you can see, the time stamp is in the picture. Hate that!

Its not by any stretch a pro game camera but it gave me an affordable way to capture the rascal that raked one of my pine trees to death.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Andy Diggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Anybody got any links to info on building your own? I could put my son to work on this   ;)

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Dave,
 Go to this sight and check out all the research on different cams.  http://www.chasingame.com/

Rob

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
And for those not wanting anything complicated the Cudde-Back Capture is the real deal. I am no camera guy and hate instructions. I got 2 of these working great and never opened the manual!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »

Offline Missing Impossible

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
You'll have less than a covert with many homebrews including the D380 camera or even the Sony P32.  Buy the camera from E--y then buy a kit that has everything you'll need including a  pre-drilled pelican case.  One HUGE benefit of a homebrew is that if something breaks, you just replace that component.  This is not possible with propriatary components of store bought cams.  Also, no cam comercially available is quicker on the trigger than a homebrew with an Olympus D380.  This cam goes for 20 bucks on E--y.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Got a scoutguard, just got it out - never used one before so will let ya know (if I get anything!)

Neat little cam though, bout as big as a coke can - I could set it up so it has to be easy.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
The Covert looks like a ripoff of the Scoutguard SG550. I've had several different kinds, and the Scoutguard is by far the best I've tried. In my back yard I've "shot" foxes, coons, squirrels, deer, a woodchuck, neighbor's dogs, and a bobcat. I didn't know I had a bobcat!

Batteries last about a month, which is very good, and there's no lights on the camera to alert game. With other models, I kept getting shots of deer looking at the little red light. It's all infrared, so no flash to spook anything, including trespassers who will steal the camera if they know they've been photographed. Excellent movies, too.

The Chasingame site mentioned by Lone archer is excellent for comparing kinds. They like the Scoutguard, too.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©