3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 50th B'day Bonanza....Elk hunting Benchmark  (Read 1269 times)

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
50th B'day Bonanza....Elk hunting Benchmark
« on: March 17, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Well to say I'm the luckiest man in the world would be an understatement..... 8 years ago I finally met the woman I was meant to be with and life hasn't been the same since..... My feet haven't touched the ground since and the paths I've travelled have been the most rewarding of my life..... This May I turn 50 years old...... I was looking at it with a bit of dread a year ago until Debi told me she wanted to send me on my first guided Elk hunt..... See my first hunt ever was an Elk hunt in Montana at the age of 14 and I've been an Elkaholic ever since.....And though I've taken a fair share of cows over the years that dream Bull, or any Bull for that matter, has eluded me.......I've put a few friends on their Bulls over the years but none of them ever took the time to learn to call and reciprocate the favor....... Solo calling Elk, especially with trad gear, is a very tricky task and everytime I'd get a Bull in range the shot angle would be wrong or when the shot angle was right they would be out of my acceptable range...... But I've been blessed with more hours in the Elk woods than many will ever see in their lifetime and I've enjoyed each and every one of them to the fullest..... But I digress...... My wonderful wife knows how much taking my first Bull will mean to me and that's why she gifted me this opportunity that will probably be the best one I'll ever have to fulfill my quest......... I looked long and hard and talked to a bunch of Colorado outfitters and the hunters who hunted with them and booked with one that I'll be hunting with this September with an OTC Bull tag....... Knowing that hunt was a sure thing I put in for a November Elk hunt here in AZ with my first choice Cow and second Bull..... Well I found out yesterday my credit card just got hit for $114 which means I'll be heading to the AZ Elk woods as well in November....... Hitting 50 has got me reflecting back on where I've been in my life and I can only say my first 50 years have been totally rewarding and I'm looking forward to the next 50 and hope to be enjoying life with Debi and tromping the Elk woods when I hit my second 50th...... To steal a quote from Doug Campbell "Life is good in Arizona"....... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 50th B'day Bonanza....Elk hunting Benchmark
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
Congratulations!!!Good Luck next season and Happy Birthday...in advance!!  I was just starting to get my "second wind" at 50,LOL...Age really is just a state of mind...Frank
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
Congrats Terry! We will all be waiting to hear the stories generated from your elk hunts. Shoot a big one!!!   Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Congrats Terry...really happy for ya. Wishing you well on your elk hunt. Tell Debi she done good, of course she can probaly tell that by the permanant grin plastered on your face eh? So, which bow ya taking?.

It does make me kinda envious feeling that you only got hit $114 to chase elk..heck Dianne, Brian and i just applied for Mulie tags in Montana and they were nearly $400 apiece.

I thought 50 was bad until this year. I turn 57 in May (mines the 18th..when's yours?).  Now only 3 years from 60 I'm starting to feel really old.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
That's AWESOME! Congratulations on what I'm sure will be a magical hunt and the wonderful bride that got ya there!! Can't wait to hear the stories!!

Mark

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Happy Birthday buddy. Have a grteat hunt. 50 is closeing in on me fast. 48 next month and still feel like 18! Well in my mind I feel 18. But my knees feel like 60.LOL<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks Guys.... Age really is a state of mind for sure.... That's my new mantra.... Heck I'm still 18 in mind years......

Mickey .... You can see that grin all the way from there???.....  :scared:  ....  I'll be taking my Dryad Bushwacker as my first hitter.... That bow fits me like none I've ever shot and I've shot a few... A special lil # named Beetlejuice will be my backup.... My Birthday is the 16th..... we're pretty close..... almost twin sons from different mothers 7 years apart......  :D  Terry

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
That's cool Terry. I'll be lookin forward to pics and stories.

It's awesome to have a bride who stands behind us in our quest to stay back in time, when the whole world seems to be in such a mad dash to jump blindly ahead in time.

I hope you can take a little bit of tradgang along with you when you go.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Wow that IS a bit of a jump..what, 60%? all at one time?... GADS    :scared:

Beetlejuice gets to ride along? COOL   :clapper:    :goldtooth:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
Terry, mine is the 16th as well and I'll still be a year older than you. Met my dream girl just a few years ago too - life is good in Iowa too! I did not take my first elk till after 50 - the one in my avatar. This year it will be my first serious try for bear... hunting with Ted Fry in Idaho. Gotta love it when life keeps getting better. Many happy returns

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Yeh I used to think 50 was really old but I think its 70 something now!! Have great season sounds like it sure enough will be.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
That is great Terry! Hey, I'll call for you anytime you like and even take some pics.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
That's awesome Terry..you have a lot to look forward to..best of luck my friend   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Too funny Frank...You made your post while I was typing mine.... Looks like there's a few of us that feel like 18 until we see we can't chase Elk uphill at a trot anymore..... Kenny..... I always have some tradgang with me on my hunts both the bows I'll be using this year were from friends..... The Bushwacker was made for me By Mike and Jason ..... My backup self bow Beetle juice was made for me by Mickey.. just to name a couple......Shaun... I knew there was a reason I liked you....     :D    Roger.... I hear ya..... 50 is middle age......and David.... be careful I just might take you up on that......    :readit:    Terry

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Terry, you're just entering the best age to be elk hunting.  It's a proven fact the people over fifty use their brains a lot more than their legs.  No need to try to outrun some bull when you can out think him.  After having figured this out (I'm 56 now) I even put in for a Montana tag so I might get to hunt elk six weeks instead of four, and have two tags.

Good luck on both hunts this fall.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Good luck on both hunts Terry,and Mark U makes a very valid point on huntin with brains instead of legs,sadly both of mine are gettin weak!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
Thanks Curt..... Are you heading out West this year again?.... Mark as many years as I've been attending Elk University you'd think I'd have my Phd by now...... 6 weeks of Elk hunting up in Gods country... Man you've got it made.... Good Luck to you as well.... Kenny now that's funny...   :D   Terry

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
Terry, congrats ahead on turning 50 and still going hard for that goal!  Its good to have a goal and good to have a wife that is part of the team.   I think your in pretty good company with a lot of us, in that quest for a really nice bull.   It keeps eluding me, although I've taken several elk, a few bulls, and helped many others...I've not yet satisfied my urge for a good one yet.   My experiences have been similar to yours in that the "gaggers" have hung up or not presented the best opportunities for my shot, and I've elected to pass.  Still, being in the presence of them has rewarded me plenty....the good ones are hard to find, and killing one even tougher.  Good luck to you.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
I turn 60 this year so to me you are a youngster Terry.

Mark said  
"I think your in pretty good company with a lot of us, in that quest for a really nice bull."  
I am part of that select group. Like Mark I've shot a few elk bulls and cows but no big bulls. I have had some great hunts in beautiful places and if a big bull never comes my way it will all still be good memories. But every time I step in to the elk woods that is my goal and I might just get a couple of big bulls yet.

Some of you are aware of my good fortune with winning a Screaming Eagle stand, Whispering Wind arrows and a Sheepeater static recurve recently. Well my streak of good luck is not over yet it seems. Yesterday I drew an Arizona elk tag, it cost about 5 times as much as Terry's did though.

I think all you young guys in your 50's should come with me   :campfire:  to carry my pack and pack the meat out. I hope I can carry the antlers they might be heavy.  :D   Mark U has a good point, and I think I hunt smarter, but you still need those legs to get up the mountain.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
Thanks Mark..... I hope I'm one of those old codgers I remember growing up with in Montana.... I swear they looked 80 and could almost keep up with me and my then young legs.... Hey Chad that's awesome..... you're really riding a lucky streak ........What Unit did ya draw...... Terry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©