3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anyone done major mods to a 190gr el grande grizzly?  (Read 288 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
anyone done major mods to a 190gr el grande grizzly?
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
i've been looking at the grizzly and thinking  that if you changed the edge angle to bring the point back to the end of the ferrule pressing that it would be stronger. eliminating the part between the original point and the end of the ferrule which is only flat steel.
i know it would reduce the 3-1 ratio a bit but i think it would be stronger as the point would have greater support.

anyone have any idea what a 190gr would weigh after such mods? i'd love to try it and it would be good if they ended up at 125gr as thats what i shoot now. (plus 125gr adapter)
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone done major mods to a 190gr el grande grizzly?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Curious why you would want todo that? Dr. Ashbyhas shot buffalo bones at extreme angles and as far as I know has not had a problem bending heads. Yes that is a long flat piece of metal but it is not an issue. If u want a lighter head u should look. At the abowyer heads. I think if you did shorten the grizzly it would take way to much work to be worth it or it would change the temper way to much!

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
yeah, it was just something i was thinking about. probably nothing wrong with the original
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
You might need to ask yourself if the mechanical advantage of the shape is more beneficial than the strength.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Dr Ashby did modeify the El Grande Grizzly heads. I think you can check out what he did and how in his threads. If you can't find what I'm talking about then contact Ron (Sharpster) owner of KME Sharpeners and a sponser here on Trad Gang. I know he would be able to answer your questions.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©