3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Puttin On Skins...Question  (Read 260 times)

Offline FlyinCedar

• Trad Bowhunter
Puttin On Skins...Question
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
I have a longbow that I really love, and I am planning on adding some snake skins to the limbs. I have done this before, and i was not happy with the results. The advice I got on how to do it included putting a few coats of superglue on the skins after they are on the bow. I did this, and finished with Tru Oil, but as soon as i started shooting it, the limbs got a cloudly look to them. I can only attribute this to the super glue not being flexible enough. I didnt really understand the superglue being necessary to begin with, since the skins were getting a finish put over them.

I dont want that to happen again. The bowyer that made the bow is a friend of mine, and he is going to reapply the finish just like new after i apply the skins...is it normal practice to use the superglue? Did i do it wrong? Can i skip that step altogether?

I know this was drawn out, and thank you for your time and any help you may have.
Matt 6:33-Seek the Kingdom of God, above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything that you need.

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Puttin On Skins...Question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
You might want to move this over to the Bowyer forum. Those guys salivate over these issues! They are very helpful, and some of our sponser bowyers  chime in frequently. Hope this helps.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Can't say I've ever put super glue over the skins I've done.  Never had any issues either.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
I tried superglue one time and had the same experience.
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
A year or so ago there were guys trying the superglue thing and were having problems with the final results. I see no reason to add super glue over the skins first before finishing. I have skinned many bows(all were wood bows)and never used super glue over the skins. Tru-Oil gives good protection without it and I'm sure other finishes do too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
It is probably the superglue seperating from the skins that is giving you the cloudy look.  You need to sand the skins to rough them up for the finish otherwise it will not stick and cloud up.

We had the same problem a few years back.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
I've never really 'got' the whole using-Superglue-as-a-finish thing. It's a glue, not a finish. There are so many fantastic finishes/varnishes/top-coats out there that do a far better job.

Incedentally, I've just skinned a glass longbow. Laid the skins on with TBIII, trimmed & dried after 24hrs & then applied 7 coats of polyeurathane varnish. Sanded the last coat with 1200 grit & then gave a very light overspray to give me a matt finish.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline FlyinCedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanx guys...I'm gonna pass on the glue this time
Matt 6:33-Seek the Kingdom of God, above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything that you need.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©